Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1939-40 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 3 - 1 Hibernian
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Hamilton 7, Strauss 49, Strauss 73.       McLean 20  
Attendance: 16,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen

South African Best Forward Afield

Aberdeen Won, but Missed Many Chances


Strauss was the man of the match at Pittodrie on Saturday. The Dons' South African left winger headed the two goals that gave his side a victory over Hibs. He was the most dangerous forward of the ten. Quick off his mark, his speed and positional sense spelt trouble for the Edinburgh defence from first to final whistle.

The game was a story of missed chances. Had the Dons accepted half the scoring chances that came their way, they would have doubled their total. They made victory difficult for themselves.
Instead of being only on level terms at the interval, they should have had the game well won. As it was, they did not make the issue secure until seventeen minutes from the finish.
Some will say they won - why all the fuss? But that's not the point. We are looking to the Dons to make their presence felt in Scottish football this season. if they continue to scorn scoring chances as they did against Hibs, then that hope will disappear into thin air.
The can be no complaints in regard to the play of the Aberdeen defence. Johnstone, in goal, was never in any serious difficulty. This was due in a large measure to the play of Cowie and Cooper. Opposed to a tricky winger in Nutley, the Scottish League choice for Belfast on Wednesday, the right back was never at a loss, and Nutley for all his turning and twisting threatened little danger.

Cooper Shows His Worth

McIntyre was no more success on the right. Both against Celtic and Hibs Cooper clearly demonstrated that the Pittodrie board made no mistake when they entrusted him with the left back berth. Nicholson had an anxious afternoon. It was not so much what Milne did, it was what he threatened to do. The Easter Road leader was a real "live wire," and with better support would have got goals.
Dunlop and Thomson were a pair of hard-working half backs, who often adopted the mantle of attackers.
None of the forwards earned full marks. Strauss gets first place.
There was no harder worker afield than Armstrong, but the Dons' leader seems to have lost his punch. Hamilton and Biggs were only moderate, although both made good use of the through pass to open up the Hibs' defence.
Christie did not show his worth until the closing stages, and his play confirmed the opinion that he might be of more value as an inside forward.
Hibs have a young and enthusiastic team, but the side as a whole lacked balance. Kerr in goal emerged from the game with credit. He had no chance with the shots that beat him and brought off several brilliant saves. Logan had a bad day against Struss, but Prior at left back gave a polished display.
The half-back line was poor. Rice did quite well until he was injured in the second half, and had to change places with Keane. Most people must have felt sorry for Milne. A great-hearted little player, he fought gallantly to turn the tide. He received little support, yet he contrived to give the Aberdeen defence a good deal of trouble.
Keane showed some good touches, but was not consistent. Nutley will have to do better on Wednesday against the Irish League.
The Dons started well enough. Within seven minutes they were a goal up. A tussle between Rice and Christie for possession saw the ball run clear to Hamilton. The inside right beat Kerr with a terrific oblique shot from eighteen yards.
Biggs missed a great chance when, from close range, he sent the ball across the goalmouth from a cross from Dunlop, and a few minutes later the inside left sent Strauss through, and the winger wasted the chance by sending wide.
With twenty minutes gone Hibs drew level. A corner from Nutley swung in low. Cowie stumbled in stopping the ball, and before he could recover McLean dashed in to net.
Strauss missed another chance for the home team before the interval. Biggs headed on a cross from Christie, and the South African was left with the whole goal to shoot at. He steadied himself and then drove past.
He atoned four minutes after the restart when he came racing in from the wing to head a lob from Nicholson into the corner of the net.
The best chances missed during this period fell to Christie and Armstrong. Quick inter-changing by the Aberdeen attack saw Strauss take the centre berth and slip the ball out to Christie. The right winger should have gone on and shot, but instead he returned the ball to Strauss, who was given offside.


Armstrong had an even better chance. Christie broke through on the right and cut in before sending the ball gently into the middle along the ground. It seemed that Armstrong could not help netting, but the centre slipped in going for the ball.
The third goal came after twenty-eight minutes' play. Strauss anticipated an excellent cross from Christie and came dashing in from the wing to head the ball into the net.

Source: Press & Journal, 28th August 1939

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cowie, Cooper, Dunlop, Nicholson, Thomson, Christie, Hamilton, Armstrong, Biggs, Strauss.

Unused Subs:


Hibernian Teamsheet:  Kerr; Logan, Prior; Shaw, Fraser,Rice; McIntyre, McLean, Milne, Kean, Nutly


Referee: W. Webb, Glasgow

Related Links: