Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1939-40 fixture list
Regional League East 
Arbroath 2 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Miller 30, Adams (pen) 48       Williams 84.  
Attendance: 1,000
Venue: Gayfield Park, Arbroath



ARBROATH were a trifle lucky to retain both points at Gayfield yesterday. Only bad luck and bad finishing in the closing twenty minutes prevented Aberdeen at least sharing the points. Ball control was difficult, and the man in possession held the advantage.

Three penalties were awarded in this game, but only one was converted. Both teams missed from the spot in the first five minutes, and the third, in the second half, produced the winning goal.
The Dons had more scoring chances than their opponents, but the forwards failed to grasp them. Armstrong, home on leave, led the attack. He showed excellent ball control, but did not get the best support. Ferguson played a hard game, and is the only other Aberdeen attacker worthy of mention. Strauss was to have played, but had to call off at the last minute.
Aberdeen was well served half-back. Pattillo at centre-half played a sound game. Graham and Anderson were a good pair of backs, and no fault could be found with Johnstone.
Arbroath were a dashing side, although they lacked the skill of the Dons. Becci played a grand game at left back, Urquhart was a strong, forcing half, and Hill and Hughes were best in attack.

Spot kicks missed

Williams was interfered with by Becci in the opening minutes of the same and the referee pointed to the spot.
Armstrong took the kick, but sent past. Immediately afterwards Arbroath also got a penalty kick when Anderson sent a clearance against Ferguson. Hughes struck the upright from the spot and Hill shot over from the rebound.
The opening goal came after half an hour's play. Johnstone punched out a fierce drive from Urquhart, and Miller fastened on to find the net off the underside of the crossbar. Early in the half Adams increased the home team's lead from the third penalty given when Anderson tackled Miller. Aberdeen's counter came six minutes from the end after they had pressed strongly. A terrific goalmouth scrimmage ended in Williams forcing the ball the line.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd January 1940

Arbroath Teamsheet:  Anderson; Fordyce, Beccl; Vannet, Adams, Urquhart; Miller, Hill, Watson, Hughes, Christie


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Graham, Anderson, Scott, Pattillo, Thomson, Williams, Bain, Armstrong, Ferguson, Beattie.

Unused Subs:


Referee: W. Hendry, Larbert

Related Links: