Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1939-40 fixture list
Regional League East 
Aberdeen 8 - 1 Cowdenbeath
Kick Off:  2:30 PM   Williams 23, Ferguson 30, Smith 32, Bain 44, Williams 48, Pattillo 60, Ferguson 70, Bain 88.       Walls (pen)  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dons Pile on Eight Against Fifers
Thanks to the brilliant work of their half-back line, the Dons found Cowdenbeath easy victims at Pittodrie on Saturday. It was the fine forcing work of the wing half-backs, "Jock" and George Thomson, that paved the way to victory.

The right half, who was playing his first game for Aberdeen, was quietly effective. He did little running about, yet he was generally on the right spot at the right moment and kept play moving in fine style.
Georg Thomson, on the other flank, was equally good. The forwards could hardly fail to respond to the promptings of the pair. The attack was by no means brilliant, but they were quick to seize their chances.


The Cowdenbeath forwards contributed to their own downfall. The insisted in pattern-weaving when direct methods were called for, and their finishing was wild and reckless. The Fifers' defence fought pluckily, but had too much to do.
It says much for the play of Jordan, their right back, that despite his side's heavy defeat he was one of the outstanding men afield.
Johnstone, Graham, and Anderson formed a sound rear trio for the Dons, and with Waddell effectively patrolling the centre they were never in difficulties. Bain was the best of the home front line. Pattillo paid his way by worrying the defence.
Hill, Jordan, Rhodie, Watters, and Milne were best for Cowdenbeath. Walls could have been dangerous against a less attentive centre half than Waddell.


The Dons were slow to start, but once they got going there was no holding them. They took the lead in twenty-three minutes, when Hill missed a fast cross from Smith and Williams guided the ball into the net.
Seven minutes later Ferguson fastened on to a pass from Smith. Cut between the backs, and lobbed the ball over Hill who had left his charge, into the net. In thirty-two minutes Smith dashed in to meet a cross by Williams to score a third goal, and just before half-time Jordan, in making a clearance, sent the ball against Bain and it rebounded into the net.
Early in the second half Williams got another, scoring direct from a corner. With fifteen minutes played Williams was held up when going through on his own. A goalmouth scrimmage ensued and Pattillo netted.


Cowdenbeath had missed several scoring chances, but they opened their account when Graham brought Boag down inside the penalty area. Walls converted the kick.
Ferguson intercepted a cross by Bain to make the home total sevem, and near the close Bain added another when a corner kick by Smith was only partially cleared.

Source: Press & Journal, 15th January 1940

Admission to Ground: 1/-, Soldiers, Sailors, and Boys 6d. Stands Extra
Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Graham, Anderson, Thomson, Waddell, Thomson, Smith, Bain, Pattillo, Ferguson, Williams.

Unused Subs:


Cowdenbeath Teamsheet:  Hill; Jordan, Rougvie; Gillies, Rhodie, McDowall; Watters, Milne, Walls, Playfair, Boag


Referee: J. Taylor, Kirkcaldy

Related Links: