Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1907-08 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 0 - 1 Airdrie
Kick Off:          Thomson  
Attendance: 5,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Scottish League, at Pittodrie. There were 4000 present. The first half saw both sides playing good football, and though Aberdeen had the favour of two penalties, they failed at both shots. Right at the start of the second period MacFarlane left his goal to save a shot, which he missed, and Thomson scored the only goal of the game, which was eagerly contested. Result :- Airdrieonians, one goal; Aberdeen, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 30th March 1908

The falling-off of public interest in the doings of the Aberdeen team was quite evident at Pittodrie on Saturday, when the spectators at a league match in which the Airdrieonians furnished the opposition, numbered about 5000. The defeat by the Celtic in the cup-tie on the previous Saturday accounted for the lack of enthusiasm indicated by the small attendance, as the Aberdeen team's position in the League competition is not such as to sustain interest at the end of the season. The game on Saturday was disappointing, as, after having fully three-fourths of the play in the outfield, the ground eleven had to acknowledge defeat by 1 goal to 0. The visitors were at full strength, and there was one change in the Aberdeen forward line, C. M. McEachran, a 'Varsity lad, displacing Macdonald at outside right. The teams were:-

Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Colman, Hume; Halkett, McIntosh, Low; McEachran, Muir, Murray, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Airdrieonians: Duncan; McLeay, Rombach; Wardrope; Brackenridge, Thomson, Ward, Gray, Farrell.
Referee - Mr. Riddell, Edinburgh.

The Aberdeen captain won the toss, and played with a strong wind and the sun behind. Quiet exchanges characterised the opening movements, the players failing to gauge the wind, the Aberdeen men consequently gaining little by their advantage in securing choice of ends. Playing in a bustling, go-ahead, wide passing game, the Airdrie team prevented Aberdeen from settling down, and for the greater part of the first period the local front rank's attempts at fancy work were invariably spoilt by an upsetting defence. Airdrie had the first aggressive run, and Colman failed to stop Farrell, who shot past. At the other end, following on clever work by Murray and O'Hagan, Lennie sent in a terrific shot, which went a few inches on the wrong side of the post. The newcomer for Aberdeen - McEachran - caught the eye of the crowd, his tricky slipping past the defence and speed being noticeable. He beat several opponents on the run and centred to Murray, who was a trifle late in getting set for a drive at goal. Never since he came to Aberdeen has Colman been so shaky, and he was repeatedly beaten by the speed of Farrell, whose shooting powers were far from doing him as much credit as his pace. Murray tried a long shot, which went wide. McLeay and Young formed a strong pair against O'Hagan and Lennie, although the clever Aberdeen left wing repeatedly led the Airdrie defenders a merry dance, on bit of play in particular between Wilfred Low, O'Hagan, and Lennie being exhilarating to witness. Several times the Aberdeen forwards looked like shooting, and once a cry of "Goal!" went up when Murray, with a swift drive, struck the outside of the net. The Aberdeen forwards pressed home the attack, the ball passing and repassing in front of the Airdrie goal, but always failing to find a foot to guide it into the net. Airdrie played pluckily against the wind, and had several promising raids into Aberdeen territory, the local half-backs and backs having to do a lot of running to keep their lines clear. Neither of the Aberdeen backs was absolutely safe. A slip by Hume let in Brackenridge, who crossed, Macfarlane getting the ball and clearing. The outstanding incidents of the first half were two penalty kicks awarded to Aberdeen. Murray took the first and shot over - while the second - a hard, high drive by Wilfred Low - was brilliantly saved by Duncan, who was in good form. Aberdeen continued to have most of the play, but the shooting of the forwards was either weak or ill-directed. Fouls were frequent on both sides, and most noticeable was Young's treatment of Lennie. The little winger was sent head-over-heels, and stunned by a wild charge. The right-half was frequently penalised for his treatment of Lennie. McEachran and Muir made a go-ahead wing, not so fancy in their movements as O'Hagan and Lennie, but quite as serviceable. The Airdrie team adopted the correct tactics, wide passing, with big kicking and rushing, gaining better progress than Aberdeen's close game. Neither side looked like scoring in the first half, bar the two penalties missed by Aberdeen.

In the second period keener play was witnessed on both sides, the contrast in styles being most pronounced. The Aberdeen men continued the close-passing game against their opponents' rushing tactics, and although several of the Aberdeen front line's movements were pleasing to watch, they failed to produce tangible results in the way of goals. McEachran on the Aberdeen side was the only forward who seemed to know about to shoot, two long droopers of his, both similar in character, giving Duncan trouble, one of them being fisted over at the expense of a corner. The pressure on the Airdrie goal was frequently most severe, but between the posts the forwards could not get the ball owing to the tireless Airdrie backs and half-backs. The Aberdeen defence, too, had its trials, the rushing Airdrie tactics making the local backs feel far from comfortable. The only goal of the match was a gift to Airdrie, the result of a ludicrous blunder by Colman, Hume, and Macfarlane, Hume being less to blame than the other two, although had he had his wits about him, he might have covered the mistake of the other two. Colman quite unnecessarily attempted to pass back to Macfarlane, but were short. Macfarlane gave Hume the signal to leave the ball to him, and when the goalkeeper rushed out he "foozled," and Thomson had an open goal presented, and made no mistake. It was one of Macfarlane's typical failures. He saves shots that would beat most goalkeepers, and sometimes performs wonderful feats, only to fail, now and again, in efforts that would bring scorn on a novice. Annoyed by their fine play coming to naught in the way of goals, several of the Aberdeen players put more dash into their work, O'Hagan on the one wing, and Muir on the other, leading some great runs. The Aberdeen left wing was brilliant on the run, and made rings round the Airdrie defence in the open, but the wingers, like the centre-forward kept the ball too close in their efforts to go right through to the goalkeeper, with the result that the indefatigable Airdrie defenders prevailed, one man covering up the other splendidly. The Aberdeen half-backs were not so solid a line as on the previous Saturday, but, as a rule, prove good enough for the Airdrie attack, although their placing was often bad, Low's being invariably short. Duncan saved a long shot from O'Hagan. There were many exciting moments at the Airdrie goal, resembling very much Aberdeen's desperate attempts to break down the Celtic defence on the previous Saturday. Too much finesse, with their centre-forward decidedly off his usual form, was responsible for Aberdeen's failure. The half-backs came up and tried to do what the forwards seemed incapable of doing. Low banged and McIntosh drove, Duncan saving one terrific shot from the centre-half almost on the line. At the other end Macfarlane was fouled while clearing on the by-line Lennie, who was a little off in the first half, was now at the top of his form, his clever runs up the right wing, and beating all opposition on the way, delighting the crowd. One of his crosses was smartly trapped by McEachran, who shot, Duncan saving on the post. Right onto the end Aberdeen pressed, but they could not get past the Airdrie defence who spoiled the game by kicking the ball out of the grounds. Airdrie, the inferior team on the day's play, won by the goal which was practically a gift.

The total drawings were £110, made up of £96 at the gates and £14 for the grand stand.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 30th March 1908


A Lucky Win for Airdrie.

No one would have grudged Airdrie a victory on Saturday had their point been got as the result of a good effort, or as the reward of sustained play on their part. The fact is that Macfarlane threw away the points by a bit of play of which he is not often guilty. There was no one more disappointed than Rab when he saw the mistake he had made by rushing out, with a clear sight of the ball, and unaccountably throwing it against an opponent who had no more to do than run it through. Prior to this incident, however, there were many happenings which should have put Aberdeen on the lead. They had two penalty kicks in their favour in the first half, Tom Murray shooting across the bar with the first, but the second one did not appear to us to warrant the full penalty. W. Low took it and made the goal-keeper's fingers tingle by the stopping of it. When Airdrie did get their point Aberdeen played desperately, too much so, and lost many opportunities by getting in one another's way with only Duncan to beat. It was the coolness and cleverness of this same Duncan that prevented Aberdeen from getting their due reward on play. There were times when the local forwards, with a little thought, might have done better than bang the ball over the bar, but there were shots sent in that would have beat most goalkeepers. Towards the end we thought the home side were to get a goal, but the defence prevailed, the judgment of Rombach, combined with the alertness of the goalkeeper, staving off all the wiles which the Aberdeen forwards could indulge in.

The Play and Players.

Aberdeen showed slackness in their play when they had the wind which lost them the points. The forwards were the chief sinners in this respect, in shooting wildly without allowing for the strength of the wind behind them. Their judgment was better displayed when they faced the breeze, but it was too late to make up what they had lost, for the defence had gathered confidence. The halves played well, and we could not say one was better than the other. Hume was the better of the two backs, while Macfarlane, bar his mistake, was clever. To Dun¬can and Rombach may be ascribed the chief honours for carrying away the points. Their defence was grand, and McLeay was also in good form as a backer-up. The halves are a bustling lot, but have not the judgment, in feeding their forwards to make the front line successful. Brackenridge was the best forward in our opinion, with the centre neat. They lacked combination to be effective, while their shooting, like the home lot, left much to be desired.

Chatty Bits.

There was a poor response at Pittodrie on Saturday, and apparently the team was affected in that way too, for they did not give that display they usually do.
The art of penalty kicking is a lost art out Pittodrie way. If we mistake not, they have missed eight of these particular shots, in succession in different games.
We have insisted more than once that this duty should be relegated to a particular individual, and not to any and everyone who likes to have a try. Who will be the next trier?
It is becoming evident that the forwards have gone stale with their dismissal from the cup ties, and it will require something strong to convince us to the contrary.
Judging by Saturday's result, we should say that Aberdeen began badly, and they are evidently going to perish in the same way.
Buck up, lads, there is a lot of good games yet to get through, and it would be a pity to lose your good name.
Aberdeen A went one better on Saturday than they did on the last occasion they were at Peterhead.
On Saturday they made a draw of one goal each, play being fairly equal all through.
Charlie O'Hagan is again chosen to represent his country against Wales. May you be successful this time, Charlie.
Northern League have secured the aid of Dundee this year to play a fixture on behalf of their funds.
On Saturdayt a team was selected to represent the League against Dundee, and the following is the choice:- Bernard (Dundee A) ; Neilson (Kirkcaldy), and Craigie (Montrose) ; Ramsay (Lochgelly), Gowans (Forfar), and Drain (Aberdeen) ; Scott (East Fife), Docherty (Forfar), Richardson (Brechin), Dorward (Arbroath), and Clinton (St. Johnstone).
The various rumours about the departure of players is quite premature. Nothing definite will be done till the end of this week.
Is it a coincidence or what, that Walter Arnot should nominate the Scotch team on Saturday? He must have a rare insight of what is going to happen.
His selection was not taken seriously by the critics, but he has come out top this time.
There will be a big exodus from Aberdeen and surrounding districts to Glasgow on Saturday.

Source: Bon-Accord, 2nd April 1908

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  MacFarlane, Colman, Hume, Halkett, McIntosh, Low, MacEchern, Muir, Murray, O'Hagan, Lennie.

Unused Subs:


Airdrie Teamsheet:  Duncan; McLeay, Rombach; Wardrope; Brackenridge, Thomson, Ward, Gray, Farrell


Referee: Mr. Riddell, Edinburgh

Related Links: