Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1923-24 fixture list
Aberdeen and District League 
Buckie Thistle 2 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Newlands, Murray       Mutch.  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Victoria Park, Buckie
Aberdeen 'A' Fall At Buckie
Aberdeen "A" were visitors Victoria Park on Saturday, when they opposed Buckie Thistle in the Aberdeen and District League. The visitors gave a good display, but they had to submit to defeat by Thistle by the odd goal in three.
Aberdeen set the ball in motion, and right from the start the game proved of great interest. The visitors immediately made tracks for Buckie's goal, but Middleton held Mutch, and play was transferred to the other end, where an effort by Esslemont was spoiled by offside. Aberdeen tried to get through but found the home defence a tough proposition. Dickie and Murray were a clever pair, frequently outwitting their more robust opponents. Newlands gave a fine exhibition of clever trapping of the ball, but several players showed the old fault of hanging on the ball too long. The neat head work of Aberdeen was a treat to see, and their rapid movements occasionally left the homesters guessing. Connon and Mutch were outstanding in Aberdeen's attack. Wood just saved a shot from Connon on the line, while Dickie at the other end skimmed the bar. Geddes and Garden put in good work at back, the clearances of the latter being especially good. Ritchie got a fright when a shot from Kay struck the upright, and from the rebound Esslemont sent narrowly past. Mutch had hard lines with a fine header, and after Ritchie saved from Nicol, Thomson handled just outside the penalty box, Dickie placed the ball neatly in front of goal for Newlands to nip in and open the scoring. Aberdeen then came in great style to draw level, but they discovered that Wood had abilities in goal. The visitors practically pressed till the interval, the best they could do being to force corners. Wood saved well from Connon, Sutherland and Spalding, and at half-time Buckie were leading by the only goal.
The second period was more evenly contested, and both teams gave a fine display. Thistle were aggressive at the start, and following a free kick a scrimmage took place in front of Aberdeen's goal from which Murray succeeded in smartly putting Thistle another goal ahead. Aberdeen strove harder than ever to score, but although they held in Thistle a bit, they were faulty at the goalmouth. Buckie were able to force fruitless corners, and after fine play on the left wing, Mutch was able to beat Wood with a beautiful shot from well out. It seemed to deceive the goalkeeper. Wood prevented the same player from scoring the equaliser by bringing off a fine save shortly after. Kay came into the picture, and after beating the defence he put over a lovely cross, for Dickie to head close past. After give and take play, Kay might have increased Buckie's lead, but his shot went wide of the mark. Thistle were quite able to keep their end up, and were giving nothing away, but towards the close of the match Forbes got through and might have equalised had he not unfortunately handled the ball. Time was called with Aberdeen pressing, the result being a win for Buckie by 2 goals to 1.

Source: Press & Journal, 31st December 1923

Buckie Thistle Teamsheet:  Wood; Geddes, Garden; Middleton, Smith, Nicol; Kay, Newlands, Esslemont, Murray, Dickie


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Ritchie, Thomson, Bruce, Armstrong, Sutherland, McBoyle, Connon, Logie, Spalding, Forbes, Mutch.

Unused Subs:


Referee: A. Penny, Huntly

Related Links: