Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2012-13 fixture list
Inverness CT 3 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Shinnie 53, McKay 60, McKay 77.        
Attendance: 4,734 (Visitors: 1,456)
Venue: Caledonian Stadium, Inverness
Dons Crash at Caledonian Stadium
Stephen Hughes is devestated after the defeatAberdeen took a mauling in the second half at Inverness as they crashed 3-0 in the Highlands. Following an even first half the Dons started the second half strongly before falling behind against the run of play when Andrew Shinnie took advantage of a slip from Russell Anderson. Aberdeen never recovered from this set-back and brimming with confidence the home side added two more goals from McKay as the Dons crashed and burned. A disappointing return for the Reds who looked totally out of sorts by the end of the match and it was a long journey back down the road for the fans as they wait for their first win of the season against Inverness.

Shaughnessy in action at Inverness.It was a nervous start by the sides as they both looked a bit rusty following the winter break. Aberdeen forced the first corner in the 3rd minute following a nervous moment from the home keeper, but the threat came to nothing. Two minutes later Anderson had to look lively to snub out a run from Shinnie. Smith was then upended and Hayes fired in a dangerous ball that was scrambled for a second corner as the Dons made a positive start. A free kick at the other end forced a great save from Langfield when he turned a Foran header wide. The resultant corner was comfortably cleared by Aberdeen, but a good start to the match.

In the 10th minute an ambitious effort from McGinn was comfortably held by the keeper and seconds later Hayes fired inches over. Two minutes later clever play from McGinn left Meekings floundering, but Vernon couldn't convert the cross. At the other end Dorran hit a wild effort that failed to threaten Langfield. Hayes then caused havoc as he ran at the Caley defence before the keeper eventually smothered the ball. The opening twenty minutes had been entertaining, but neither side had yet unlocked their opposing defence.

Gavin Rae battless in midfieldAberdeen broke quickly in the 21st minute and Hayes forced another good save from the home keeper low to his right. McKay went close a minute later when his shot was blocked by Robertson and the Caley striker fired wide again when the corner was delivered. The home side then won a free kick in the 27th minute, but Aberdeen cleared their lines. Inverness went close again in the 29th minute when McKay first swung at fresh air before Andrew Shinnie headed over. The home side were starting to gain the upper hand, but despite Hayes winning a free kick on the half hour mark Aberdeen couldn't carve out a chance.

Gavin Rae collected the first caution of the match when he tripped Shinnie as the Inverness man threatened to break. Inverness were looking dangerous now and a soft free kick was squandered before Langfield had to dive at the feet of Shinnie to prevent any damage. Draper then fired wide in the 39th minute before Foran made a wild lunge at Shaughnessy and was lucky to avoid a caution. Hayes then created a chance, but his cut-back went behind McGinn and by the time he turned and shot the chance was gone. Abereen need to step up the pace after the break.

Hayes is brought down again, but ends up in the book.The second half started with play flowing from end to end and Hayes went close for the Dons as he forced a save from the keeper with a drilled shot. At the other end Reynolds and Langfield were involved in a mix up before the defender cleared. An Anderson free kick was flicked on by Vernon in the 50th minute and McGinn fired over. Another bright start by the Dons, but that was about to change. After the good start Anderson slipped inside his own box and Andrew Shinnie pounced to lash the ball into the net. From looking the side most likely to open the scoring the Dons were suddenly a goal behind.

Hayes was brought down by Shinnie in the 57th minute and as the Inverness man went back to defend the free kick the referee produced a yellow card and booked Hayes for allegedly diving. An incredible decision by the official! Rae then had an effort blocked before Robertson picked up the third yellow card of the match - all for Aberdeen players. Smith was then brought down by Dorran and the referee was surrounded by the home players looking for Smith to be booked for diving. The free kick was given, but Dorran escaped punishment and a minute later he broke and set up McKay for the second goal. Aberdeen caught by the sucker punch again and now had it all to do.

McKay makes it 2-0 for the home side.

Magennis and Osbourne replaced Vernon and Shaughnessy as Craig Brown tried to turn the Dons fortunes round. Osbourne then collected the fourth yellow of the match before he had even touched the ball. Ironically for a foul on Foran who had somehow avoided the referee's book. Magennis then strode forward and found Hayes only for the ex-Inverness man to be taken down again by Dorran and once more the referee kept his card in his pocket. Hayes then swung the ball into the box, but it bounced tamely off the shin of Hughes and into the keeper's arms. In the 74th minute Milsom replaced Anderson as Osbourne moved into central defence.

Draper should have made it 3-0 in the 77th minute when he pounced with the Dons defence missing, but Langfield narrowed the angle and the player shot wide. A minute later it was all over as McKay stepped on to a Draper flick and smashed the ball into the net to make it 3-0. At the other end Smith got on the end of a Milsom cross and the keeper made a great save to tip it over. Inverness were finally shown a yellow card when Hayes was taken down for the umpteenth time. Three minutes from the end Hayes went on another run, but his finish went well wide and summed up the Dons day. Two late corners for the home side failed to produce any more goals and the Dons were glad to hear the final whistle.

Over and out as Mckay seals the win with a third goal.

Inverness CT Teamsheet:  Antonio Reguero, David Raven, Graeme Shinnie, Gary Warren, 84Josh Meekings, Aaron Doran (Philip Roberts 89), Ross Draper, Owain Tudur Jones, Richie Foran, Andrew Shinnie (Nick Ross 89), Billy McKay.

Unused Subs: Shane Sutherland, Conor Pepper, Ryan Esson, Daniel Devine, Liam Polworth.

Bookings:  Josh Meekings (84).

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Shaughnessy (Osbourne 65), Robertson, Anderson (Milsom 73), Reynolds, Rae, Hayes, Smith, Vernon (Magennis 66), Hughes, McGinn.

Unused Subs: Brown, Low, Masson, Fallon.

Bookings:  Rae (35),  Hayes (56),  Robertson (59),  Osbourne (68).

Referee: Allan Crawford

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)