Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2012-13 fixture list
St. Mirren 0 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM          
Attendance: 4,292 (Visitors: 504)
Venue: St Mirren Park (Greenhill Road), Paisley
Points shared in Paisley
Hayes and McGinn can hardly believe the Derek McInnes maintains his unbeaten record in his short time at the club as he watched his charges play out their eighth no scoring draw of the campaign. After a fairly uneventful first half, the Dons moved up a gear after the break and went close to taking the lead when Jack was inches from opening the scoring. Vernon also had an effort cleared from the line before Aberdeen had the ball in the net in the 69th minute when a well worked move was finished by Hayes. However the assistant's flag went up and the goal was chalked off. It looked a very tight decision and no doubt TV evidence will resolve it. There was to be no goals to warm the crowd as the season heads for its conclusion next weekend.

Jack holds his head as another chance is missed.Aberdeen kicked off in a 4-4-2 formation with Cammy Smith and Scott Vernon leading the attack. Smith won a free kick in the second minute and despite the keeper missing the delivery, there were no Dons players on hand to take advantage. It was a lively start with both sides keen to get on the ball although the swirling wind was causing a few problems for the players. A McGinn shot in the seventh minute failed to test Samson and five minutes later the home side won the first corner kick of the match. Fortunately Aberdeen were able to clear their lines and attempt a counter attack.

With fifteen minutes on the clock there had been few chances as both sides struggled with the final ball. But Jack and Vernon combined well in the 17th minute and the striker curled his effort inches wide. At the other end Langfield turned an Imrie free kick round the post before the Dons cleared the resultant corner. Imrie then forced a third corner in the 21st minute, but Parkin could only screw a header wide of the target. Two minutes later Reynolds made an important interception to deny Parkin as the home side started to take control. Langfield was forced into another good save from the corner and at the other end Rae fired wide from distance.

Vernon goes closeTeal and Concalves combined well in the 26th minute and forced a fifth corner, but again they couldn't convert the pressure as Imrie screwed the ball well wide. Some good play from Smith saw him beat his man and whip in a cross for his striking partner, but Samson was quick to cut out the danger. Robertson took a knock on the face on the half hour mark, but he quickly recovered from the accidental knock. Saints were romping away with the corner count as they increased their lead to 6-0, but again failed to capitalise. The ball was kicked out of the park in the 34th minute so hopefully Aberdeen would have better luck with the new one.

The new ball did the trick as Cammy Smith burst forward and fed Vernon who was brought down just outside the St. Mirren box. McGinn tried to curl the ball round the wall, but it was blocked for a corner. From the set play a Shaughnessy header had to be scrambled away by Samson - that was the closest the Dons had come to scoring so far. A lack of communication between Osbourne and Langfield resulted in another corner, but luckily the Dons were not punished. Neither side were able to create a goal scoring chance in the closing minutes with a Rae shot that went sailing over the bar being the closest impersonation of a chance.

Action from PaisleyAberdeen forced the first corner of the second half after four minutes, but Samson comfortably held Vernon's' attempt. A minute later Aberdeen were pushing again and a Vernon header looked to be net bound when McLauchlan cleared the ball from the line. An excellent start to the second half by Aberdeen and in the 55th minute McGinn tried to go himself when he might have been better feeding Hayes. Both sides were still looking to make the breakthrough and Smith probed forward on the hour mark, but didn't have much support in the centre. Two minutes later Saints forced their first corner of the second half and Parkin headed wide.

Milsom replaced Cammy Smith in the 63rd minute as McGinn went up front with Vernon and the Dons went close two minutes later. Hayes did good work and delivered a cross that was headed back across goal by Vernon. He found Jack and the youngster fired inches wide. At the other end Saints threatened, but the through ball was too heavy and it rolled harmlessly through to Langfield. Aberdeen had the ball in the net in the 69th minute when a well worked move was finished by Hayes. However the assistant's flag went up and the goal was chalked off. That looked tight and it will be interesting to see that again in the Sportscene court room.

Action from Paisley this afternoon.Low then replaced Rae in the Aberdeen engine room as the Dons looked to try and collect all three points. They forced a corner in the 77th minute and Samson could only punch clear before Low tried from distance, but it failed to threaten. Magennis replaced Vernon with ten minutes remaining as McInnes made his last change. A minute later McGinn didn't have enough of an angle and could only hit the side netting. Magennis was then impeded as he steamed forward, but no free kick was awarded. Another tight offside flag stopped McGinn in his tracks as Aberdeen pushed for a winner.

A Shaughnessy cross was comfortably gathered by Samson in the 89th minute and at the other end St. Mirren forced a late corner kick. However the ball went tamely behind the goal giving Aberdeen a chance to launch another attack. There was only two minutes of stoppage time as Hayes wasted a chance with a poor delivery that was comfortably gathered by Samson. Robertson then released Low wide and the youngster was caught late as he cut inside to give Aberdeen a final chance. The free kick was rolled to Hayes, but he was unable to beat Samson as the Dons recorded their eighth 0-0 draw of the campaign.

Action from Paisley

St. Mirren Teamsheet:  Craig Samson, David van Zanten, Marc McAusland, Jim Goodwin, Paul Dummett, Gary Teale, Conor Newton, Jon Robertson (John McGinn 72), Dougie Imrie, Esmael Goncalves (Lewis Guy 62 [Jack Smith 78]), Sam Parkin.

Unused Subs: Kieran Hughes, Sander Puri, Lee Mair, Steven Thompson.


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Shaughnessy, Osbourne, Reynolds, Robertson, Hayes, Jack, Rae (Low 70), McGinn, Vernon (Magennis 80), Smith (Milsom 63).

Unused Subs: Twardzik, Hughes, McManus, Storie.


Referee: J. McKendrick

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)