Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1911-12 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Airdrie 3 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Donaldson, Davidson (o.g.), McPhie        
Attendance: 1,500
Venue: Broomfield Park, Airdrie
At Airdrie, before about 2000 spectators. The home team made a bright start, and early in the game Donaldson scored. The Aberdeen forwards, with the exception of Soye, could make little of the home defence, and were generally in their own half. King strained a muscle and retired, Davidson taking his place. Soon afterwards Donaldson again counted, and a one-sided half ended in favour of Airdrieonians by two goals to nothing. King did not resume, and the second half was even more in favour of Airdrie than the first. McPhie registered a third goal for the home team. who won comfortably. Result: Airdrieonians, three goal; Aberdeen, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 22nd April 1912

By 3 goals to 0, Aberdeen were rather badly beaten at Airdrie, where they played their second last Scottish League game for the season. A series of incidents chiefly accounted for the heavy defeat of the side, which really never got properly set again. King, the goalkeeper, was hurt in the first 15 minutes, and retired for the remainder of the game. Davidson, the right half-back, strained a muscle of his leg, and, although seriously handicapped, he took up the position of goalkeeper, and, on the whole, did well in his unaccustomed place. Airdrie were far and away the better side, as after the accidents Aberdeen played with but little heart. The first goal came after 12 minutes' play, Donaldson scoring a good goal for Airdrie, although he had previously been upset in the penalty area. The second goal was the result of a mistake by Davidson, who actually sent the ball through his own goal. Aberdeen had several tries to the medium of Lennie, McIntosh and main, but the home goal was really not seriously tested in the first half, that the close of which Airdrie led by 2 goals to 0.

In the second half Aberdeen played for forwards, McIntosh going into the half line, but they were sadly out of the hunt. Davidson saved the goal from hunter in brilliant style by picking the ball from his toes, and with several other dangerous shots the emergency custodian dealt in clever fashion. Airdrie's third goal came from a corner kick, McFie heading through. For Aberdeen Soye and Wilson both had tries, but generally Airdrie easily held the reins, and one in decisive fashion. This was the second three clear Cole defeat Aberdeen have suffered this season, the other instance being had Falkirk.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 22nd April 1912

Airdrie Teamsheet:  Ewart; Anthony, Mackie; Williams, Murphy, McPhie; Templeman, Thomson, Hunter, Donaldson, Young


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  King, Colman, Hume, Davidson, Wyllie, Wilson, Soye, McIntosh, Main, Wood, Lennie.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Mr. A. Allan, Glasgow

Related Links: