Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1912-13 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Kilmarnock 3 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Cunningham (pen), Culley, Templeton,       Travers (Pen).  
Attendance: 3,500
Venue: Rugby Park, Kilmarnock
Aberdeen's Eclipse - Remarkable Incident of Play
Aberdeen were at Kilmarnock under Scottish League auspices, and lost by 3 goals to 1. Aberdeen's visit to Kilmarnock was unhappily timed for a big attendance. There were only some 3000 present, yet the match was one of the most attractive from a playing point if you. There was much genuinely pretty football, such, indeed, as is all too uncommon in League football. It was a match, too, in which there were several extra special features. The most remarkable happened when Aberdeen got their solitary goal. Player, Kilmarnock's custodian, was injured in the face by the ball sent in by Soye. Though player saved by conceding a corner, he had to stand aside for repairs, and Shortt went into goal. This change was duly notified to the referee, but in a few minutes Blair resumed without the fact being notified, and a penalty was promptly awarded when he touched the ball. The decision was absolutely correct, but the incident was one that might not be seen again in 50 years. Another feature was a goal scored by Templeton, his first of the season, which are walker great burst of cheering, and "Bobbie" blushed crimson. Killie played 10 men nearly all the second half, Buchan retiring injured after five minutes' play. Taking the whole hour and a half's display into consideration, it must be said that Killie deserved their win by 3 to 1. Though there was an element of luck in the home team's first two goals, which were netted within 15 minutes from the start. Colman shoved Dickie when the latter was inside the protected area, and a penalty given, which Cunningham took and scored. King appealed to the referee because he was not in his goal mouth when Cunningham kicked the ball, but the referee Murray awarded the goal from the centre line kick. Dickie got the ball, and headed N. King adopted at his feet, and Culley scored the second for Killie. No Aberdeen played with the sun and wind favouring them, they made an indifferent stand for the opening half-hour, but greatly improved as time proceeded. Their play in the second half was easily their best. Milne disappointed greatly in centre. Soye, however, was always dangerous for Killie. Wood also made a fair show, but the rest were poor. The halves did not support the forwards well, Wilson alone showing in attack. Colman was great and back. Mistakes by King and weakness at half and one of proper understanding in the front line accounted for defeat.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 10th March 1913

Kilmarnock Teamsheet:  Blair; Duff, Murray; Shortt, Buchan, Steel; Goodwin, Cunningham, Culley, Dickie, Templeton


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  King, Colman, Hume, Davidson, Wilson, Brewster, Soye, Travers, Main, Wood, Scorgie.

Unused Subs:


Referee: R. T. Murray, Stenhousemuir

Related Links: