Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1913-14 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Morton 3 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Torance, May, Gourlay       McLeod.  
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
Aberdeen's Usual
At Greenock. Though the visitors had an even share of the outfield, play and attack, they deservedly lost the points through inability to take advantage of opportunities to find the net. At the start, Buchanan got in front of Barclay unhampered, but to the chagrin of the crowd his drive went sailing over the bar. The first goal was gained by the visitors, McLeod easily netting an accurate pass from the left. What proved the run and shot of the game came five minutes later, and Torrance was the performer. His shot, which equalised the game, travelled across Barclay's goal and struck in the corner of the net with great force. In a rally which followed round the visitors' goal, May secured an opening, and put the ball safely out of Barclay's reach. The veteran half-back's feat was loudly cheered. The second half was characterised by the number of fruitless attempts of both sets of forwards in front of goal. Towards the end Morton attacked determinedly, and Gourlay forced the ball past Barclay. Result:- Morton, 3 goals; Aberdeen, 1 goal.

Source: The Scotsman, 10th November 1913

Aberdeen were further condemned to the bottom place in the Scottish League table as the result of their visit to Morton at Greenock. On this occasion victory went to the home team by 3 goals to 1. Both teams were below strength, nut especially Aberdeen, who were without Greig, Colman, Hume and Main, and Morton were without Wright, their international half-back. All that could be said in favour of Aberdeen is that they played pluckily. Victory clearly went to the better team, and the lesson of this latest reverse is that Aberdeen have still much to accomplish before they arrive at anything like a solution of their team problem. The opening stages of the game at Cappielow were well contested. Aberdeen giving as they got for a time. At the end of twenty minutes McLeod scored a brilliant goal, and for a time it looked as if Aberdeen would increase their lead. Later play turned in favour of Morton, and Torrance equalised, while later May gave them the lead, and at half-time the score was Morton 2 goals, Aberdeen 1.

The second half was keenly contested, each goal being visited in turn, and both had narrow escapes. The home forwards were the more aggressive lot, but Wyllie and Hannah played very soundly at back. Five minutes from the end Seymour added a third goal for Morton.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 10th November 1913

Morton Teamsheet:  Bradford; Ferrier, Craig; J. Stevenson, May, McLean; Torrance, Robertson, Buchanan, R. Stevenson, Seymour


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Barclay, Wyllie, Hannah, Brewster, Wilson, Low, Soye, Travers, McLeod, Robertson, Green.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Mr. A. Allan, Glasgow

Related Links: