Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1915-16 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 2 - 0 Kilmarnock
Kick Off:    Brewster, Archibald.        
Attendance: 6,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Points For Pittodrie
Aberdeen gained two points at the expense of Kilmarnock at Aberdeen. The weather was showery, and the spectators numbered between 5000 and 6000. The first half was somewhat featureless and no scoring took place. Both goalkeepers were frequently tested. Three minutes after the interval Brewster scored for Aberdeen following a corner kick by Cumming, and just before the finish Aberdeen got a second goal. W. Wylie crossed after a capital run, and Archibald got possession, and scored smartly. Aberdeen deserved their win. The Kilmarnock forwards played a "nippy" game in the first half, but did not do so well in the second half.

Source: The Scotsman, 10th January 1916

Between 6000 and 7000 spectators witnessed the game at Pittodrie between Aberdeen and Kilmarnock. The match proved quite interesting, though the opening was somewhat tame.

A shower of rain was falling when the game opened, and a stiff wind was blowing diagonally towards the sea. Kilmarnock were the first to make progress. Aberdeen afterwards got away on the left. The ball was sent to the right, and Archibald kicked into goal, but Blair cleared. Play continued for some time at the Kilmarnock end. The visiting forwards again attacked, and Dickie tested Anderson with a good shot, which the goalkeeper dealt with in workmanlike manner. Kilmarnock forced a corner from which Wyllie headed out, and afterwards Hume kicked clear at a critical moment. Another corner fell to Kilmarnock, but brought them no advantage. The Aberdeen forwards were at the other end in the shortest of notice. Cumming centered, but W. Wylie sent the ball behind. Following another run by Kilmarnock Anderson cleared in good style. For some time play was of the end-to-end order. McPhail had a good shot for Kilmarnock, after Colman had been left behind, the ball going just past the post. A combined movement on the part of the Aberdeen right wing and centre looked promising, but the ball was sent out of play. Colman saved finely in a dangerous attack by the visitors.


On the resumption, Aberdeen assumed the offensive, and a shot by Main was tipped over the bar by Blair. From the resultant corner, Cumming sent the ball well across, and Brewster scored with a header, 3 minutes after the restart. Aberdeen continued in the attack, and Archibald gave Blair a stiff ball to hold. Throwing off the pressure, Kilmarnock forwards made progress, and Anderson was called upon, but proved equal to his task. Aberdeen again got on the offensive, and Walker shot past. Both defences showed up well in a period of give-and-take play which followed. Brewster sent a fine ball into Kilmarnock goal from near the corner flag. Player saved splendidly, but was injured in a collision with W. Wylie, and the game was stopped for a short time till he recovered. A corner fell to Kilmarnock, but proved fruitless. Cumming got through the opposition, and forced a corner, from which Kilmarnock defence cleared. W. Wylie got a clear run, and after eluding Hamilton crossed finely. Main let the ball go to Archibald, who steadied himself and scored with a smart shot. Archibald made another capital effort to add to Aberdeen's total, but Blair saved.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 10th January 1916

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Colman, Hume, Brewster, Wyllie, MacLachlan, Cumming, Archibald, Main, Walker, Wylie.

Unused Subs:


Kilmarnock Teamsheet:  Blair; Hamilton, Mitchell; Short, Dickie, Mackie; Goldie, Fulton, Neil, McKnight, McPhail


Referee: J. B. Stevenson, Motherwell

Related Links: