Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Falkirk

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Falkirk

SPFL Development League
Aberdeen scorers: Eadie (OG), Ross 73.

06/04/2017 | KO: 18:00

Just like the first team, the Under 20s are flying high at the moment having rattled in ten goals during a three game winning streak. Falkirk visited Peterhead to see if they could halt that run and take some revenge for a 4-1 home defeat at the hands of a very strong Dons side earlier in the campaign. Aberdeen welcomed Scott McKenna back into the ranks - the big centre back is on loan at Ayr United but can play Development League matches so got in some much needed game time. Dean Campbell who was part of the first team travelling squad at Dens Park on Friday was rewarded for some fine showings for the Under 17s with a place in the starting eleven - his first start of the season after four appearances off the bench in the Development League.

The home side should have taken the lead in only the third minute when Aaron Norris' cross from the right was touched into the path of Bruce Anderson by Frank Ross but the striker pulled his shot wide of the target. The Dons took the lead on 9 minutes when a dangerous cross from the left from Toby Wells was inadvertently touched past his own keeper by Cameron Eadie. Unfortunate for the defender but it was an excellent ball into the danger area from Toby.
A dangerous break by the Bairns saw O'Hara put a teasing ball into the box but Sam Roscoe did well to head clear under pressure from McBride. Frank Ross did well to create the space for a cross from the right but Wells couldn't wrap his right foot round the ball to get an effort on target. The Dons had been very much the dominant force in the opening quarter of an hour and were getting themselves into dangerous areas. Falkirk were working hard but David Craddock had seen very little action in his area. Jamie Henry tried his luck on 21 minutes when Frank Ross picked him out with the game's first corner but the skipper's volley was high and wide.
Scott Wright showed his terrific pace breaking from deep in his own half to the edge of the Falkirk box but his pass to Anderson sent the striker too wide to be able to get a shot at goal. The winger carved out another chance after some dazzling footwork on the bye-line but Anderson was unable to connect properly and the chance went a begging. The Dons pushed forward again on 33 minutes and keeper Bery did well to deal with a long range effort from Norris. After a ragged spell of play Wells was next to threaten showing good pace as he drove into the box but his powerful shot hit the side net. With six minutes left of the half the visitors won their first corner but Gallacher's left foot volley from the Jarvis flag kick didn't trouble Craddock.

It had been a dominant first half from the Dons but they were unable to add to their early goal so there was still much to play for as the whistle went to signal the interval.

Half time Aberdeen 1 Falkirk 0

Neither side made any changes in personnel at the interval and the home side were quickly into the attack again forcing an early corner but the Falkirk defence stood firm. Harlain Mbayo was the game's first booking on 54 minutes after a foul on McBride. A minute later Falkirk's Munro was replaced by Stowe. With neither side able to string too many passes together the game was threatening to become a midfield stalemate. Paul Sheerin made a double switch on 63 minutes as Scott Wright and Frank Ross were withdrawn, their replacements Sam Robertson and Seb Ross.
The Dons almost broke clear following a Falkirk corner but Bruce Anderson was caught offside nd the attack came to nothing. In the space of a minute both sides almost scored - first Aaron Norris was only inches away from converting a fine Sam Robertson cross then David Craddock did well to palm a goal-bound O'Hara shot wide of his right hand post. With just under twenty minutes left Seb Ross won the Dons a free kick on the edge of the Falkirk box but Anderson's attempt on goal was blocked by the defensive wall. On 73 minutes McBride was replaced by Kyle Mitchell in the Bairns lineup.
Seconds later it was 2-0 to the Dons as Seb Ross' flicked header from a Robertson cross was fumbled into his own net by keeper Bery. A neat header from the Dons sub but the Bairns keeper will be unhappy at not keeping the ball out. Seb Ross nearly added to the Aberdeen tally on 77 minutes when he beat Bery to the jump after Anderson had flicked the ball inside but his header landed on the top of the net. Ross came close again on 80 minutes when he toed the ball narrowly wide after a fine run and pass from the lively Anderson. Chris Antoniazzi replaced Aaron Norris for the final seven minutes of the game. Falkirk also made their final change, Jarvis being replaced by Lavelle.
Keeper Bery did well to head the ball clear from Anderson as he threatened to race through on goal. Brilliant battling play by Seb Ross saw him break clear of a posse of defenders but he slipped the ball wide of the target. The Inverurie youngster had made a real impact after coming on and looks a real prospect for the future. The final whistle went as the dons chased a third goal but they settled for a two goal margin of victory. A strong end to the game from Aberdeen, a fourth win on the bounce and a second successive clean sheet. All in all, a good evening's work.
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Craddock, Mbayo, Wells, Henry, McKenna, Roscoe, Wright (Robertson 63), Campbell, Anderson, Ross (Ross 63), Norris (Antoniazzi 83).

Unused Subs: Sharp, Ross, MacPherson, .
Falkirk Teamsheet
Bery, Finlayson, Gallacher, Eadie, Johnson, Munro (Stowe 55), J Mitchell, Blues (C), McBride (K Mitchell 73), O'Hara, Jarvis (Lavelle 85)
Venue: Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead
Referee: David Watt
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride