Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hamilton 2 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Hamilton scorers: Brown, Hunt
Aberdeen scorers: Jackson.

13/09/1924 | KO:


Better football than that served up by the Hamilton Academicals and Aberdeen in the first half of their League game at Hamilton need not be looked for. Unison was the keynote of the players alike by defence and attack, and the odd goal margin in favour of Hamilton at the interval reflects the slight call they had over their weightier opponents. The first goal was scored by Brown, and the second was of the spectacular order - Hunt, the Hamilton centre-half, scoring from a free kick from 50 yards out. In between, W. Jackson scored what proved to be Aberdeen's solitary goal. There was a distinct falling off in play during the second stage, during which the Hamilton forwards were often beaten off by body weight. In defence, Hamilton had a pull at half-back, all three playing consistently, and while Brown and Dickson were outstanding in front, the brothers Jackson were quite their equal. Hunter and Hutton shared the honours at back, and Blackwell (who had twice the work of Somerville) proved himself an able goalkeeper. Attendance, 8000.

Source: The Scotsman, 15th September 1924

About six thousand spectators at Hamilton saw the Academicals beat Aberdeen by 2 goals to 1 in a disappointing game. This was Aberdeen's fourth defeat, and, with only one point gathered from a possible ten, the club is getting into a precarious position at the bottom of the league, which place they now share with Morton. The absence of a constructive policy in defence and the failure of the inside wing forwards were the factors that brought about Saturday's defeat. After a bright beginning, in which they appeared to be much superior, Aberdeen fell away badly, and, in what was a drab display, they were beaten by a team of about their own class. Hutton, Forsyth, and MacLachlan were best in defence, James Jackson failing to keep his forwards going, although shining as a breaker-up. Edward, who was tried at right-half, created a favourable impression, but he, too, did not fulfil expectations in the matter of catering for his forwards. In attack, the brothers Jackson were easily best, with Smith next, but Rankin and Miller did not shine. Both teams had much in common. The Hamilton backs were lusty kickers and the half-backs effective as tacklers. although Steel, like MacLachlan for Aberdeen, gave his forwards fairly liberal support. In the attack, only Brown and Lister impressed, and nearly all danger to the Aberdeen goal emanated from them.


The game opened in bright sunshine, and Aberdeen had the assistance of a stiff breeze. The Academicals' left wing was prominent at the start, and Hutton was conspicuous with good clearances. After give and take play, Academicals' took the lead at the end of five minutes. Steel slipped the ball forward to Brown, who followed up and shot a brilliant goal before the Aberdeen backs could tackle him. A combined run by the Aberdeen forwards followed, and the centre-forward shot wide. They returned to the attack, and from well out on the right Walter Jackson fond the net with a splendid drive. Following this success Aberdeen combined cleverly the wing's. Waiter Jackson shot high off has brother's accurate centre, and later the right winger brought Somerville to his knees with a powerful drive. A fine centre by Smith was missed by several Aberdeen players, and at this time the visitor could do almost everything but score. Even Hutton got into touch with the home goalkeeper, who had to save a fierce drive by the back, and a headed ball by Walter Jackson and a shot by Smith all but found their billet. Rankin in the act of shooting appeared to brought down in the penalty area, but the referee did not grant the claim of the Aberdeen players. An Academical revival followed, and Blackwell by a fine effort saved a great shot by Dickson. It seemed that the ball would reach the net off an opponent's shoulder, but the Aberdeen goalkeeper at full length was able to deflect it wide. No advantage followed to the Academicals off several flag kicks that came their way, and Blackwell effected another fine save, this time from Lister. With the game 35 minutes old, a free kick was given against Hutton for a foul on Brown. Hunt took the kick, and from 30 yards range netted with a lightning shot, Blackwell just failing to reach the ball, which crossed the line near the top of his right hand post. Aberdeen again came away following a centre by Alec Jackson, Rankin headed in, Somerville missing the ball which rolled against the bottom of the upright and was cleared by Hunter as it rebounded. James Jackson followed with a hard drive which the keener saved, following this there was a thrilling incident in front of the Academicals' goal.


Johnstone in clearing kicked the ball against Walter Jackson who promptly rounded the back and reached the ball before the advancing goalkeeper could get to him. The keeper however, effectively barred the way for a shot. Jackson in order to get into position then swerved to the left, and with the ball at his foot in front of the empty goal was about to shoot when he was unceremoniously bowled over by Hunter. Both players fell locked together and before the Aberdeen leader could regain his feet Hunt had dashed in and cleared. The Aberdeen players stoutly maintained that Walter Jackson had been fouled in the area but the referee decided otherwise. Near the Interval, Alec Jackson had several runs and centres, but the Academicals defence held out, and at half-time Aberdeen were unfortunate to be in arrears.


In the opening stages of the second half play favoured the Academicals, who forced Aberdeen on to the defensive. Brown skied from close range, and several shots were charged down. Smith ultimately relieved the pressure, and Hunt got in the way of a try by Rankin before Somerville was called upon by Miller. There was a prolonged period of midfield play, and with wild kicking and passing by both teams the play deteriorated greatly. To add to the discomfiture of the spectators the weather broke down completely, and so heavy was the rain that many left the ground very early. The combination on both sides was rank bad, and with little attempt at constructive effort, the spoilers held full sway. Lister finished a run for the Academicals by crashing the ball against the upright, and at the other end Alec Jackson forced a corner, and Smith shot behind. In an effort to redeem the fortunes of the side Alec Jackson and Miller changed places, but no real improvement followed, although Aberdeen were often In a position to be dangerous. Somerville had to save off a kick by Walter Jackson, and on another occasion was fortunate to be in a good position when that player headed in. The game was well contested to the close, but it was not one from which either side derived much credit. .

Source: Press & Journal, 15th September 1924

Hamilton Teamsheet
Somerville; Hunter, Johnstone; Steel, Hunt, Thomson: Miller Dickson, Lister
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Douglas Park, Hamilton
Referee: W. F. Campbell, Dundee
Next Match
27 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen