Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 2 East Fife

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 East Fife

Scottish Cup Second Round Replay
Aberdeen scorers: Bruce.
East Fife scorers: Wood 35, Weir

09/02/1927 | KO: 14:45


East Fife deservedly won their Scottish Cup-tie against Aberdeen at Pittodrie Park yesterday, by 2 goals to 1. The 10,579 spectators who paid £595 for admission saw a capital match full of Cup-tie thrills. East Fife's bustling style of play in the first period was what was required in a Cup-tie, and when they found themselves leading by the only goal at half-time and by two clear goals - obtained by Wood, centre-forward, and Weir, outside-right, respectively - they had good reason to be gratified. It suited them to be on the aggressive in the first half of the match and to make defence their stand-by later on. They had no reason to regret the arrangement which secured for them Gilfillan from the Heart of Midlothian Club. By the brilliant manner in which he saved numerous likely shots yesterday he certainly justified his selection. Robertson and Gillespie were a reliable pair of backs, and the halves, Hope, Brown, and Russell, did all that was required of them. Brown, from Wishaw Juniors, was in the nature of a surprise packet, and there could be no doubting his keenness. Weir and Nairn on the right and left wings strove hard to provide openings for scoring, and Wood was a watchful centre. Reid and Love were Aberdeen's best forwards, but their wing passes were not taken advantage of as they might have been, failure at close quarters being Aberdeen's chief fault.

Source: The Scotsman, 10th February 1927

Aberdeen made an inglorious exit from the Cup competition at Pittodrie, where in the replay of their second round tie, East Fife served up the sensation of the competition, and won by 2 goals to 1. There were about 12,000 spectators.
The game opened in lively style, Aberdeen attacking right away, and Robertson took the eye with good clearances. There was a stoppage for an injury to Russell, who had to be assisted off and received treatment on the touchline.
Although short-handed, East Fife came away strongly, and after Jackson had got in the way of a scoring shot by Wood, Paterson just missed with a shot that had Blackwell beaten.
Russell resumed, and Aberdeen got back to the attack, Love testing Gilfillan with a high ball that the goalkeeper dropped but recovered before Bruce could reach him. East Fife came away strongly, and, following corner kick, Barrett just missed with a header.
Play was very fast, with the Methil team holding their own. The home crowd got a fright when Barrett dribbled through to send a great shot against Blackwell's crossbar.
East Fife continued to have the better of the exchanges, and Nairn beat Jackson to finish with a terrific shot that went inches high of Blackwell's crossbar.
Aberdeen recovered, and after Reid had crossed, Bruce had Gilfillan in action with neat turn in.
East Fife attack continued to show good form, and Blackwell had many anxious moments. From a free kick cleared from Nairn, and then when Wood was through, Ritchie got in the way of a ball that would have beaten the Aberdeen goalkeeper. Almost below the bar the Aberdeen left back just managed to deflect the ball into the corner.
It was left to Bruce to take Aberdeen to the other end and he finished with shot that struck Robertson and was deflected for a corner.
Against the sprightly Methil attack the Aberdeen defence was having an anxious time. The visitors slung the ball from wing to centre and centre to wing with the result that the home halves were being led a merry dance. Other two corners fell to the Fife team, and it was with difficulty these were cleared.
A free kick taken just outside the penalty box by Brown was blocked by a defensive wall. At the other end Miller forced a corner but no advantage accrued. East Fife were nippy, and their first-timing tactics had Aberdeen all at sea. Blackwell did well to stop a ball from Barrett, which struck a defender. Play continued to be in favour of the Second Leaguers, and on the balance of the exchanges they well deserved to be ahead. Blackwell was repeatedly in action, Nairn and Weir giving him trouble from long range. Reid improved the home team's prospects with great run on the right, but numbers beat him.
With 35 minutes played, East Fife took well-deserved lead. Hope centred and Wood easily beat Blackwell from close range.
Aberdeen Tallied after this, and MacLachlan just missed the mark with a fast, oblique shot. East Fife continued to be aggressive, and Blackwell did well to save an awkward header from Nairn, following which Paterson sent wide with a great shot.
The Aberdeen wing halves were failing badly, and, too busy in defence, they could not give their forwards assistance. Towards the interval East Fife applied severe pressure, and Blackwell and his backs were kept in hot water. East Fife were easily value for their interval lead.

Home Forward Change.

Bruce and Miller changed places in the Aberdeen attack in the second half, at the start of which there were about 14,000 spectators. Reid had a great burst at the outset but he fell in the penalty area and the movement was nullified. At the other end Jackson conceded a corner but Nairn failed to keep the ball in play from the flag. Big kicking took Aberdeen to Gilfillan's end where the keeper had a grand save from Reid.
Later Bruce ran through and stalled off a challenge to finish with a great shot which Gilfillan just managed to hold inches high. Gilfillan saved from McDermid and did well to get the ball away while harassed by Bruce and Miller. When Aberdeen looked like getting even, East Fife went further ahead. Weir cut in to beat Blackwell with a lovely shot from close in.
Aberdeen should have scored immediately, Miller shooting wide with an open goal in front. Aberdeen were applying severe pressure, but they were met by a resolute defence, which gave nothing away. Off a centre by Spencer, Bruce just missed with a header. Play ruled entirely in Aberdeen's favour, yet the equaliser looked as far off as ever. Following further vigorous pressure by Aberdeen Reid had a chance but sent the ball wildly over the cross-bar.
Aberdeen were all out, but could not get the ball past Gilfillan. MacLachlan had a free kick diverted for a corner, following which Bruce just missed from close range.
Although on the defensive East Fife were by means out of it from the attacking sense, and it was only the wonderful save by Blackwell that kept the visitors from increasing their lead.
For time play favoured East Fife, and although hadicapped by the temporary absence of Hope, who was injured, they frequently attacked. Aberdeen were giving an inglorious display, and even when they did make headway they were seldom dangerous. At last success came Aberdeen's way. MacLachlan placed a free kick for Bruce to shoot a brilliant goal.
Aberdeen made desperate efforts to equalise, but their finishing was weak, although the East Fife's goal had some narrow escapes.

Source: Press & Journal, 10th February 1927

East Fife Teamsheet
Gilfillan; Robertson, Gillespie; Hope, Brown, Russell; Weir, Paterson, Wood, Barrett, Nairn
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: D. Calder, Rutherglen
Next Match
06 Dec 2023 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen