Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Cowdenbeath 1 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Cowdenbeath 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Cowdenbeath scorers: Tollan
Aberdeen scorers: Wilson.

29/12/1928 | KO:


From the start it was evident that good football would be out of the question, the pitch being overed three inches deep in snow. However, discarding any attempt at studied play, long kicking saw Cowdenbeath raid, with Lindsay, Pullar, and Wilson all coming close to a score prior to Aberdeen meeting with success when Wilson beat Middleton following a weak clearance by the custodian from Love. Cowdenbeath drew level eight minutes from the interval through Tollan. On crossing over both goals underwent narrow escapes, but no further scoring took place.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 31st December 1928

When the Aberdeen team arrived in Cowdenbeath snow was falling thick and was lying to a depth of three inches. For some time it was thought the game would have to be postponed, but the snow ceased and with the lines cleared, the game was proceeded with.
As was to be expected the play provided many amusing passages, and although the players could not have relished the conditions, they went into the game with great enthusiasm and zest. Frequently the ball stuck on the soft surface, and occasionally it became coated with snow so that it resembled a large snowball. It took the players a long time to get accustomed to the unusual conditions, but once they became masters of the situation, some passages of clever football were served up.

A Fair Reflex.

The result, a draw of one goal each, did justice to both, although in the second half Aberdeen had decidedly the better of the argument.
Yorston early put Aberdeen on attack, but shot high, and after Cheyne and Smith had efforts blocked, Cowdenbeath forced a corner on the right, Jackson clearing Pullar's flag-kick. At the home end Middleton had to fist away from a free kick taken by Smith. For a spell after this mid-field play ruled. Lindsay shot over for Cowdenbeath, and after Tollan had forced a corner off Yuill, Yorston and Black had good efforts for Aberdeen. Love and Smith, the Pittodrie wingers, were kept well plied, and off their crosses, Middleton was kept busy with shots from Yorston and Cheyne.

Success for Aberdeen.

Following a break-away by the Cowdenbeath forwards Lindsay was left with only Yuill to beat but, missed the goal. After this escape Aberdeen came away strongly, and Middleton saved at close range from Cheyne.
With 35 minutes played Aberdeen took the lead. Love raced away to square accurately and after Middleton had pushed the ball out, Wilson fastened on to net from a few yards out. Once on the lead, Aberdeen were inclined to slacken off and Cowdenbeath forced on their attack. They were only minutes in arrears. Following an infringement by Cheyne, Thomson took a free kick and after the ball had been fisted clear by Yuill, Tollan ran in to score.
Subsequently the Aberdeen goalkeeper had to clear from Wilson and Rankin, but before the interval, Aberdeen again took up the offensive and Cheyne might have scored when he went to meet a centre by Love.

Amusing Passages.

There were only about four hundred spectators when the game was resumed. A free kick by McMahon troubled Yuill to get rid of. Subsequently there was a long period of midfield play in which neither could claim advantage, and the few spectators got many a hearty laugh as one or other of the players came to grief in the snow. McMahon actually teed up the ball for a free kick which he sent wide. There was a thrill when Middleton dropped the ball after saving from Love, and only recovered possession in time before Cheyne could get in at him.
In the closing staged Aberdeen held the upper hand but there was no more scoring. Aberdeen were well served in defence particularly by Jackson, Black, and McLaren, and the best the forwards were Love, Yorston, and Cheyne.
For Cowdenbeath the best were Moyes, McMahon, Dixon, Rankin and Tollan.

Source: Press & Journal, 31st December 1928

Cowdenbeath Teamsheet
Middleton; McDonald, Moy; McMahon, Dixon, Thomson; Pullar, Rankin, Lindsay, Tollan, Wilson
Attendance: 400
Venue: Central Park, Cowdenbeath
Referee: A. H. Leishman, Falkirk