Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee 4 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee 0 - 2 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Dundee scorers: Campbell 60, Robertson, Ritchie 83, Robertson 84
Aberdeen scorers: Yorston 15, McDermid 35.

20/09/1930 | KO:

Great Dundee Revival

When Aberdeen led 2-0 at half-time in their game with Dundee at Dens Park on Saturday, the "Dons" seemed certain of victory. That lead was the result of a meritorious first half performance by the Pittodrie team, for the goals were obtained while there were only ten men wearing the black and gold jersey. McKenzie, who was played at outside left, had to be carried off early on after he collided heavily with Finlay Brown.

Yorston Opens Scoring

But Dundee surprised everyone, most of all their opponents, with an improved display of football in the second half. The revival brought the home team four goals, and right from the interval they outplayed Aberdeen. McKenzie turned out again in the second half, but an injury to Legge handicapped the visitors.
Dundee carried everything before them in the second half, and Aberdeen allowed themselves to be submerged. Once Campbell had reduced the leeway soon after the restart, vigour carried the Dundee forwards past McLaren, Black, and Hill, and with Troup frequently beating the defence the second half was one long series of crosses in front of the Aberdeen goal.

Dundee Equalise

Robertson gave Dundee the equaliser from a finely worked opening by Ritchie. Then five minutes from the final whistle Ritchie headed the winning goal for Dundee - a fitting reward for his good work throughout the game. Aberdeen were put completely out of the running when Robertson scored Dundee's fourth goal.
Ritchie and Troup were the dominant factors in Dundee's winning mood in the second half, and Campbell showed a decided improvement at centre forward. Brown, Gilmour and McCarthy were Dundee's strength in defence. The latter gave Yorston little room, and the Aberdeen centre did not get much support from his colleagues. Smith, the new goalkeeper, saved Aberdeen many times in the second half and brought off some clever clearances.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 22nd September 1930

As the result of an injury sustained in the game against Dundee, Daniel McKenzie (21), the outside left of Aberdeen, underwent an operation in Dundee Royal Infirmary on Saturday night. McKenzie was injured in a tackle shortly after the start, but, against medical advice, played in the second half. Shortly after the close of the game a serious condition developed, and an examination at the Royal Infirmary showed that he had been injured internally.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 22nd September 1930

Aberdeen for a time after this made a fight of it until Legge became a casualty, but latterly they were overpowered. Seven minutes from the end Dundee took the lead, Ritchie heading through from a centre by Troup, and immediately afterwards Robertson took advantage of the defence being spread-eagled, and put the ball into an untenanted goal.
While Dundee were the better team in the second half when Aberdeen were disorganised but plucky, the latter were much the better team in the first half, and thoroughly deserved their interval lead.

Source: Press & Journal, 22nd September 1930


McKenzie Badly Hurt

Late Rally Decides the Issue

Aberdeen were dogged by misfortune in their game with Dundee at Dens' Park, where they were beaten by 4 goals to 2.
After half an hour's play McKenzie, who took Smith's place at outside left, was accidentally kicked on the stomach, and had to be carried off. Against Doctor's advice he resumed in the second half, but was of little use to the team.
After the match he became very sick, and was rushed to the Dundee Royal Infirmary, where it was found necessary to have an operation, and he had a kidney removed.
Nor was Mckenzie's accident the only handicap under which Aberdeen had to struggle. About twenty minutes from the end Legge came by a bad leg injury, and in a crippled state he went to outside right, Love going to left back.

Might Have Won

But for these misfortunes, which disorganised the team, Aberdeen would probably have won, as they were leading by two goals at one stage, and looked like holding their advantage.
The game was fifteen minutes old when Yorston fastened on to a pass by Dickie to shoot a lovely goal.
Shortly afterwards, and when playing without McKenzie, Aberdeen got a second goal. They forced several corners, and, following one of these, McDermid back-heeled the ball against Marsh, and it was deflected into the net.

Smith's Fine Saves

Towards the interval Dundee had more of the game, and Smith effected several excellent saves.
The injury to McKenzie obviously upset Aberdeen in the second half, and almost from the start they were forced on the defensive. In fifteen minutes Troup got away, and crossed for Campbell to give Smith no chance.
Keeping up the pressure, Dundee were soon on level terms, Robertson meeting the ball as it rebounded from a defender.

Made a Fight of it

Dundee Teamsheet
Marsh; Brown, Gilmour; McNab, McCarthy, Blyth; Gavigan, Ritchie, Campbell, Robertson, Troup
Attendance: 13,000
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Referee: M. Quinn, Bellshill
Next Match
20 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Hampden Park, Glasgow