Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Kilmarnock

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Kilmarnock

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Black, Yorston 6.

08/11/1930 | KO: 15:00

ABERDEEN DEFEAT KILMARNOCK AT PITTODRIE. Injury To Yorston That Handicapped The Winners.

Aberdeen, although handicapped for fully half the game by the absence of Yorston, who strained a hip muscle, scored a fine victory over Kilmarnock by two goals to nil at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen. It was an exciting game, in which both teams had their periods of superiority. Kilmarnock, playing fine open football, held the advantage in the first half, and were unfortunate to be a goal down at the interval. The goal was scored shortly after the start by Yorston, who turned a free kick by Black into the net. Aberdeen, with only ten men, were kept on the defensive in the opening stages of the second half until in a raid Black netted from a goalmouth scramble. This reverse seemed to dishearten the visitors, and until the end Aberdeen were on top. Smith, the Aberdeen goalkeeper, gave a splendid display, and McLaren was prominent in defence. Nibloe was the best back on the field, and Duncan the outstanding forward.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 10th November 1930

ABERDEEN KEEPER IN FORM. How Kilmarnock Were Beaten.

Handicapped by the absence of Yorston during the last 48 minutes of the game, Aberdeen gained a meritorious victory over Kilmarnock at Pittodrie by 2 goals to 0.
There were about 13,000 spectators, and these saw dour and sometimes thrilling encounter, in which each enjoyed periods of definite superiority. For the first fifteen minutes, during which they took the lead, Aberdeen were on top, but subsequently Kilmarnock attacked repeatedly in determined style without avail. This continued intermittently until the interval, and but for a fine defence and some wonderful saving by Smith in the home goal. Aberdeen might have crossed over in arrears instead of being ahead.

A Big Handicap.

The absence of Yorston was greatly felt by Aberdeen after the interval, and for quite half an hour Kilmarnock unsuccessfully battered away at the home defence.
Then came second goal for Aberdeen, and the Kilmarnock attack faded strangely out of the picture. Aberdeen, playing four forwards, repeatedly harried the visitors rear, and it would not have been surprising had the winners got another goal. As it was, David had the ball in the net a third time, but the point was disallowed on the grounds offside.

Yorston's Goal.

The opening goal came after only six minutes' play, and fell to a brilliant header by Yorston, who nodded home from a cross free kick by Black. Aberdeen appeared set for increasing their lead at that stage, and twice in quick succession they had well founded claims for penalty kicks turned down by the referee after McLean had appeared to have been fouled.

Yorston's retiral from the Aberdeen-Kilmarnock game at Pittodrie was brought about by a double injury. He first sustained a kick on the back of the leg which caused him to limp, and later received an injury in the region of the kidneys.
It was ascertained yesterday that there is no injury to a kidney, but that a muscle has been torn, and he will be unable to play for several weeks.

Gradually the Kilmarnock attack came into view, and, exploiting the game, their forwards had the home defence in difficulties. Smith was repeatedly called upon, and effected many fine saves. He dealt with shots from all the visitors' forwards and wing half-backs, and one save in particular at three yards' range from Maxwell brought forth tremendous applause. In appreciation of his work Smith was cheered on changing ends.

Penalty Claims.

Three minutes from the interval Yorston was kicked on the side, and this following a leg injury brought about his retirement for the remainder of the game.
Until the interval Love essayed the centre-forward position. and would probably have scored had he not been tripped in the act of shooting. Again Aberdeen's claim for a penalty was refused. Just on half-time Legge appeared to bring down Connell in the penalty area, but again the referee did not deem it necessary to make a spot award. On the run of play Aberdeen were fortunate to cross over with a lead, and had goalkeeper Smith largely to thank for their advantage.

Roving Commission.

Aberdeen again resorted to four forwards in the second half. David undertaking the duties of roving centre forward.
For half hour the game was largely a duel between the Kilmarnock attack and the home defence, the latter holding the upper hand, but with the visitors not making the best of their chances.
Then came another goal for Aberdeen. McLean took a free kick, and after Clemie had missed the cross, Love headed to Black, who crashed the ball into the net.
This reverse appeared to knock the life out of Kilmarnock. Playing with great dash Aberdeen often had Clemie in difficulties, and even Jackson went along to bring him to full length. Aberdeen finished very strongly, and considering the handicap under which they laboured, were deserving winners.

Source: Press & Journal, 10th November 1930

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Smith, Jackson, Legge, Black, McLaren, Hill, Love, McDermid, Yorston, David, McLean.
Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Clernie; Robertson, Nibloe; Morton, T. Smith, McEwan; Cornell, M. Smith, Maxwell, Duncan, Aitken
Attendance: 13,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Webb, Glasgow
Next Match
20 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Hampden Park, Glasgow