Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Partick Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 1 Partick Thistle

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Merrie 49, McDermid 59, McLean 89.
Partick Thistle scorers: Boardman

20/12/1930 | KO: 14:15


Aberdeen accounted for Partick Thistle by three goals to one in a thrilling game at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen. There was a cup-tie keenness about the exchanges, and, with much clever football, the game was one of the best seen at Aberdeen this season.
Play was of an even nature in the first half, both teams having spells of attacking. Merrie, after clever play with Love, struck the post with a great drive, but the visitors opened the scoring a few minutes from the interval, when Boardman netted in a goalmouth scramble.
Aberdeen did not remain long in arrears, Merrie equalising with a header five minutes after the restart. McDermid gave the home team the lead 12 minutes later with a hard drive from a cross by Love. Partick Thistle fell away somewhat, and apart from an occasional raid were kept on the defensive. Shots by Love and Yorston struck the post, and a minute from the close McLean headed a cross from Love into the net.

Lambie Outstanding

Lambie was outstanding in a strong Partick half-back line. He was a tower of strength in defence, and his distribution of the ball was excellent. The forward line, in which Ness and Torbet were ever prominent, played clever football, although they seemed loth shoot in the early stages. The inclusion of Cooper at right back and the transference of Jackson to the left back position made for improvement in the Aberdeen defence. Black and Hill were two clever and forcing half-backs, and Yorston and Love were the most dangerous forwards.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 22nd December 1930

There were thrills galore at Pittodrie where about 16,000 spectators saw Aberdeen thoroughly deserve to beat Partick Thistle by 3 goals to 1. The feature was the dashing display of the home team in the second half.

In the first period, which was hotly contested. Thistle led by the only goal, and their interval lead was justly deserved, as, while they were more aggressive, they were also the more dangerous side.
In the second half the boot was on the other foot. Aberdeen came away in great style, and, except for occasional thrusts by the Thistle right wing, monopolised the pressure. It was feared that the absence of such a stalwart as McLaren would seriously prejudice Aberdeen's chances of victory, but the diminutive Falloon, who took his place, proved a remarkably good substitute, his breaking up and fine defensive work being invaluable to his side.

Not a Weakling,

There was not really a weakling in the Aberdeen team. Smith may have been unfortunate in not reaching the cross that led up to Thistle's goal, but otherwise was very safe. Cooper, who returned to the team after several weeks' absence through injury, showed at his best, and Jackson, who had moved from right to left back, adapted himself admirably to his new position.
There was great strength in the half-back line. Falloon acted largely as a third back, and was very successful in the role of policeman to Simpson. On the wings, Black and Hill kept forcing the game and were of great assistance to their forwards.

Good Forwards.

All the forwards played well, with Love and Yorston were outstanding. The first named was the most dangerous winger on the field, and had a hand in all the goals. Yorston was easily the best inside forward on view, and was particularly nippy. McDermid, Merrie, and McLean also showed good form, and the whole team worked with a harmony and whole-heartedness that would not be denied.
Thistle, after giving a polished display of team work in the first half, fell away appreciably in the second period, the decline being most apparent in the case of the wing half-backs and inside forwards.
Jackson showed brilliance in goal, and Calderwood and Rae were sound backs, with Lambie always prominent at centre-half. The best of the forwards was Ness, but his centres were wasted because his colleague could not overcome the home defence. Torbet showed flashes of brilliance on the left wing, but Simpson was seldom in evidence.

Disputed Goal.

Thistle had the home defence on the stretch in the opening stages, Smith saving from Simpson and Torbet, but gradually Aberdeen took a hand in attack and Jackson, after fumbling a shot by Love, recovered just in time. For a spell the Aberdeen goal was besieged, but Smith and his colleagues never wavered, the 'keeper being repeatedly in action and Cooper, Jackson, Falloon, and Black all blocked or charged down shots that might have counted. On the run. Aberdeen, too, developed danger. Jackson tipping over from Love, Merrie, and McLean, and later the home centre-forward hit the post. Both goals were repeatedly endangered, and either side might have scored.
Towards the interval Thistle were distinctly on top and they were rewarded with a goal. Torbet crossed and Smith appeared to think the ball would pass behind and let it go, but Ness got possession, and after Jackson had saved on the goal-line, netted from close in.
Aberdeen disputed the award on the ground that the ball been out play before Ness returned it, but the referee declined to consult a linesman.
A faulty pass back by Jackson nearly cost Aberdeen another goal just on the interval, but Simpson shot wide.

Aberdeen Recovery.

Setting a terrific pace in the second half, Aberdeen drew level in four minutes. After clever play on the left, Yorston headed forward to Merrie and in turn the centre-forward headed past Jackson. Subsequently Aberdeen applied terrific pressure and Jackson effected brilliant saves from McLean and McDermid.
With fourteen minutes played, Aberdeen took the lead. Love broke away and squared accurately to McDermid who took the ball in his stride to score a beautiful goal.
This success inspired Aberdeen to even greater effort. McLean shot against the post as did Love. Ness occasionally rallied the Thistle attacks, but danger did not develop, and Smith was not seriously tested.
On one occasion the Thistle goal had a double escape. Yorston shot against the post, and from the rebound Hill swept the ball wide of an empty goal.
Just on time Aberdeen got a well-deserved third goal, McLean heading through from Love's centre.

Source: Press & Journal, 22nd December 1930

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Jackson; Calderwood, Rae; Elliot, Lambie, McLeod; Ness, Boardman, Simpson, Ballantyne, Torbet
Attendance: 16,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: R. Morrison, Falkirk
Next Match
20 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Hampden Park, Glasgow