Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Partick Thistle 0 - 3 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup Second Round Replay
Aberdeen scorers: Yorston 22, McMillan 48, Yorston 87.

04/02/1931 | KO: 14:30


Partick Thistle Beaten By Three Clear Goals At Firhill.


Aberdeen made no mistake at Fir hill Park, Glasgow, yesterday, when in the replay of their drawn Scottish Cup-tie they decisively beat Partick Thistle by 3 goals to 0 and qualified to meet Dundee at Dens Park in the third round on Saturday week.

Thrilling Struggle.

There were fully 29,000 spectators, and these saw a thrilling struggle In which there was no doubt about the superiority of Aberdeen. The ground was frostbound but greasy, yet the conditions were not against good football. There was abundance of this so far as Cup-tie conditions will allow, and most of it came from Aberdeen.

Aberdeen went right out from the start and got a grip they never relaxed.
The first goal came in twenty-two minutes, when McDermid slipped the ball through to Yorston, who ran on to shoot a brilliant goal. This was the only score of the first half, but Thistle were fortunate not to be further in arrears at the interval.
There was an occasion when Jackson, the Thistle goalkeeper, fumbled a lob from McLean, and, in falling, pulled the feet from Yorston. Luckily for Thistle the referee decided the happening was accidental.
During the last ten minutes of the first half Torbet, was off injured, but he was able to resume in the second period.
Aberdeen continued in the second half as in the first. They made a brilliant resumption, and in three minutes, after Yorston had worried the defence, McMillan scored with a brilliant left-foot drive from twenty-five yards' range.

Third Goal.

The third goal came three minutes from the end, when, after clever play on the left, Yorston accepted from McMillan to coolly flick the ball into the net with the outside of his foot.
In a fluctuating period Aberdeen, with a two-goals lead, always dictated the policy, but whether in defence or attack they had the measure of the opposition.
Thistle had their chances, Torbet and Simpson both failing at comparatively easy opportunities, but the Pittodrie defence was relentless, and when a Thistle forward hesitated he never got a second chance.
Aberdeen held the pull both in attack and defence.

Dominating Personality.

The dominating personality in the same was Yorston. He followed up every ball, and caused a panic among the Thistle defenders which they could not escape.
He was right on top of every ball - nothing was too hopeless to follow up, and time and again the crowd "rose" to him. His was the best exhibition of thrustful forward play seen at Firhill for many a day.
While Yorston was the match-winner, others did their part towards memorable victory.

Splendid Wing.

McDermid and Love made a splendid wing, and nothing could have been finer than the scheming of the Aberdeen captain.
McMillan, the acquisition from Hearts, came away in great style in the second half, and in the later stages and he and McLean struck a fine understanding.
In defence, all pulled their weight. Black and Hill were grand destructors and constructors, and McLaren was a sound pivot, who improved on recent displays.
Cooper and Jackson have never played better, and Steve Smith was the most reliable of 'keepers.

Thistle Team.

Thistle, who did not play badly, were well beaten by a better team. Jackson, as at Pittodrie, was again a safe keeper. He had a miraculous save near the close from Yorston, when he tipped the latter's header over the bar.
Calderwood was a sound back, but was rather "exploited" by Yorston. Elliot was easily the best of the middlemen, and in a forward line that did well in mid-field but were too impetuous in front of goal, Torbet, Ness, and Ballantyne were best.

Sporting Game

It was a fine sporting game, and at the close the Thistle players, leaving the field, congratulated their conquerors.
The result was reverse of last year's when Thistle gave Aberdeen the k.o. in the third round after the northern team had the better of the play.

Official attendance, 29,000; divisible gate £1174.

Reception at Aberdeen.

Thousands flocked to the Joint Station at Aberdeen to welcome the victorious team. When the 10.15 p.m. train, arrived from Glasgow admirers swarmed round the team, eage to offer their congratulations. Yorston and McMillan were Borne shoulder high out into the street with a piper leading the way playing The Cock o' the North.

Source: Press & Journal, 5th February 1931

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Jackson; Calderwood, Rae; Elliot, Boardman McLeod; Ness, Grove, Simpson, Ballantyne, Torbet
Attendance: 29,000
Venue: Firhill, Glasgow
Referee: W. Bell, Motherwell
Next Match
20 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Hampden Park, Glasgow