Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Clyde

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Clyde

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Black 22.

26/08/1931 | KO: 19:00


Aberdeen beat Clyde by the only goal scored at Pittodrie Park, before 10,000 spectators, last evening. About midway through the first half, Black, Aberdeen's right half-back, with a powerful drive, scored, Aberdeen leading at the interval. Clyde strove vigorously in the second period for the equaliser, and just failed in not getting the ball driven home from several corners. Hill, transferred from left-half to inside-left, was not a success, and resumed his old position, displacing Falloon.

Source: The Scotsman, 27th August 1931

Great Goal By Black Gains the Points.

In a Scottish League game at Pittodrie Park yesterday, Aberdeen were fortunate to defeat Clyde by one goal, Black being the lucky marksman.

It was a most disappointing game at Pittodrie, where 12,000 spectators had little to thrill them, and on the run of the play the visitors were unlucky indeed to drop full points.
Their defence was rugged but sounder than that of Aberdeen, and their forwards were nippier and combined better, although the home lot were dangerous in their speedy bursts.
The experiment of playing Hill at inside left for Aberdeen was not a success, and early in the second half he reverted to his own position at left half.
In a keen struggle in which the football was wretchedly poor there were several stoppages for injuries, McDermid, McLaren, Falloon, Gibson, and Boyd all being casualties. Falloon's injury, sustained in the last minute, was the most serious, the player having to be carried off suffering from a severe injury behind the right knee.

Narrow Escapes.

Aberdeen had to contend with a strong sun in the first half. They were forced on the defensive at the outset, and Smith had to save from McGurk. Aberdeen subsequently set up brisk attacks, and after smart combination, Yorston just missed with a clever whip round.
After having been kept on the defensive, Clyde from a break-away almost took the lead, Smith running out and charging down a close-range effort by Boyd, and McGurk sent over from the rebound.
Aberdeen subsequently maintained the attacking, but Stevenson was not seriously tested. Clyde, on the other hand, were dangerous when they got away, and this was shown when Smith had to dash out and gather from King.
Yorston had a chance for Aberdeen, but sent wide with only Stevenson in front. Later the home centre-forward struck the crossbar and when Hill met the rebound to shoot straight, Stevenson brought off a fine save at the expense of corner.
After 22 minutes Aberdeen forced another corner, and Black met a clearance 25 yards out to net with a brilliant shot.
The Aberdeen goal had narrow escape after this. Following a pass back Smith, in preventing a corner, allowed McGurk to get possession and the winger sent against the post with the goal untenanted, and King rushed in only to shoot wildly over. Towards the interval Clyde held their own, and Rankine had a fine shot deflected by Smith for a corner. Subsequently there were sharp raids by both sets of attacks, and on the run of the play Aberdeen were fortunate to lead by the only goal.

Positions Changed.

Aberdeen had much the better of the exchanges in the early stages of the second half, and Hill and Yorston went close with headers. Clyde again assented themselves, and Boyd and Simpson had fierce shots that were just wide.
There were stoppages for injury to Black and Gibson, the latter having to retire for a time. Falloon and Hill changed places on the home side, and after a sharp attack Yorston swept the ball inches high.
At the other end McGurk headed over with the goal practically at his mercy. Subsequently Clyde forced two corners, and following one of these Gibson shot against the crossbar.

Falloon's Injury.

Aberdeen retaliated also by forcing a corner, but Black shot wildly over, while later Yorston dissipated another chance. In the later stages each side attacked in turn, and just on the final whistle Falloon came by his injury.

Source: Press & Journal, 27th August 1931

Clyde Teamsheet
Stevenson; Blair, M,Kay; Summers, Gibson, Simpson; McGurk, Rankin, Boyd, Smith, King
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: A. Leishman, Falkirk
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride