Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 7 - 1 Kilmarnock

HT Score: Aberdeen 5 - 0 Kilmarnock

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: McLean, Mills, Love 9, Beattie 13, Moore 22, Love, Moore.
Kilmarnock scorers: McEwan (pen)

24/08/1932 | KO: 19:00


Kilmarnock were overwhelmed at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, where the home team triumphed by seven goals to one. The Aberdeen attack was in brilliant form, and at times overran the visitors' defence.
Kilmarnock were weak at half-back, and the forwards got little support. Neither team impressed in the opening stages, but after ten minutes' play Aberdeen took the lead through Love, who neatly outwitted Milloy and beat Bell. The home team then took a firm grip of the game, and Kilmarnock were seldom seen as an attacking force. Before the interval each of the Aberdeen forwards had scored to give the "Dons" a five-goal lead. The third goal scored by Moore, was secured in somewhat unusual fashion. Bell held a free kick taken by McGill, but as he was about to clear Moore nipped in to kick the ball out of his hands into the net. With the visitors' half-backs failing to hold the home attack Leslie and Milloy were overworked, and Love got another goal for Aberdeen shortly after the interval. Kilmarnock attacked for a brief spell, and Smith saved a point-blank shot from Gilmour.

A Penalty Kick

The visitors got their goal from a penalty kick given against Fraser. McEwan took the kick. Another goal by Moore completed the scoring. Aberdeen's defence was sound. The half-backs excelled in breaking up, but their constructive play could show improvement.
Moore and Beattie were outstanding in a forward line which was at the top of form. Kilmarnock, who were without Maxwell, their goal-scoring centre disappointed. The forwards got few chances, but those that did come their way were not taken advantage of. The half-backs were too busy attempting to hold the Aberdeen van to support their forwards. Connell, Sneddon, Gilmour were the best of the attack.

Source: The Scotsman, 26th August 1932

Visitors' Only Counter Comes from Penalty.


Aberdeen struck winning form with a vengeance at Pittodrie last night, when they whacked the strong-going Kilmarnock by seven goals to one.
The Dons were in irresistible form, and after Love opened the scoring in the first ten minutes the Rugby Park team never looked like winning or even drawing level.
The early point gave the Dons confidence, and from goal out they were superior to the opposition. The Aberdeen forward line was a sweet-moving quintette, and they carried a real punch at goalmouth. Every one of the five found the net - Moore and Love twice.
Kilmarnock, who were without their goal-scoring centre, Maxwell, were never allowed to settle. This was the visitors first defeat, and one they are not likely to forget for a long time.

At the outset Kilmarnock pressed, but the Dons' defence gave nothing away. A period of midfield play showed Aberdeen to advantage.
For a while Aberdeen pressed, and Mills, after tricking an opponent, nicely passed to Moore, who headed over the bar when greatly harassed.
Kilmarnock were soon at the other end, however, and Smith had to clear from a pass back by McGill. After nine minutes came a surprise. The Dons went on the offensive, and Moore got possession just outside the goal area and passed to Love, who sent the ball into the corner of the net.
Nettled by this reverse, Kilmarnock were soon troubling Smith, but the Dons were not to be denied, and, after rushing upfield, Moore sent in hot shot which Bell saved at full length, and the ball went behind off Love.

Goals Come Quickly.

Subsequently the Aberdeen forwards had a tussle with the halves, and Beattie obtained possession about twenty-five yards out to send the ball into the left-hand top corner of the net. This was after thirteen minutes.
Another goal came in surprising fashion. McGill took a free kick, which Bell held, but Moore kicked the ball from the keeper's hands into the net. Twenty-two minutes and three goals up! Aberdeen were playing well.
Moore was showing himself to be exceedingly accurate when placing the ball with his head.
The home team continued to be on the offensive, and Bell was kept busy. At the other end Gilmour beat Falloon to go through on his own, and Smith, leaving his goal, caught the ball with his foot and it went to McGill, who, lying on the ground, tried to clear, but Aitken hooked on to aim the ball against the outside of the net.

Yet Another.

Aberdeen were soon back in the visitors' territory, and Bell saved a McLean grounder. Subsequently Love sent a ball across the goal about five yards out, but Beattie skied it over the bar.
Another goal came for Aberdeen. McLean gathered an up-the-centre pass and, running on, beat Bell all the way. It was all the Dons now.
The game was not lacking thrills. Falloon gave away corner, but Smith disposed of the kick by fisting clear.
All the Aberdeen forwards got a goal each in the first half. Mills received the ball from a melee in front of goal and ran to give Bell no chance.

Second Half.

Aberdeen started where they had left off, and Bell saved a fierce grounder from Love at the foot of the post. With five minutes gone the Dons became six up. After clever manoeuvring Moore squared across the goal and Love ran in to head into the net.
Kilmarnock retaliated and after Smith had punched clear from Connell, Gilmour shot narrowly over.
Smith then took the eye with two clever clearances. He saved at point blank range from McEwan. Scrappy play followed, but the homesters were still having the better of matters.
Kilmarnock pressed for spell and Fraser brought down Sneddon in the penalty area. Referee Dougray giving the full award. McEwan made no mistake with the spot kick.

Home Defence Sound.

The game was not so interesting at this stage. Aberdeen were resting on their laurels. Subsequently a free kick was awarded Aberdeen outside the penalty area, but Dickie failed to convert.
At the other end two comers followed in quick succession for the visitors, but the home defence was sound. Clever work by McLean and Moore ended in the latter giving Aberdeen their seventh goal from close quarters.
End-to-end play followed, but Aberdeen came away again to test the Killie defence severely, McLean showing some brilliant touches. Aberdeen eased off towards the close, but the Rugby Park team never impressed.

Source: Press & Journal, 25th August 1932

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Smith, Daly, McGill, Fraser, Falloon, Dickie, Love, Beattie, Moore, Mills, McLean.
Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Bell; Leslie, Milloy; Glass, Smith, McEwan; Connell, Sneddon, Gilmour, Kelvin, Aitken
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: T. Dougray, Bellshill
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride