Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Partick Thistle 1 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Partick Thistle 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Partick Thistle scorers: Watson 11
Aberdeen scorers: Mills 36, Moore 61.

24/09/1932 | KO:

DONS' IMPROVED FORM. Partick Thistle Fight Pluckily

Partick Thistle scored an opening goal against Aberdeen at Firhill in nine minutes and held that lead until nine minutes from the interval, yet scarcely ever during the contest did Thistle look like winning. Aberdeen were always the better balanced lot, there was no comparison between the two sets of forwards, and Aberdeen were easily the better team.
"Soldier" Watson, Thistle's new centre from Motherwell, showed alertness and good positioning in scoring from Dickson's cross, and it was a tribute to Jackson's goalkeeping and resolute defence generally by Thistle, that Aberdeen took thirty-six minutes to equalise. Mills capped brilliant combined forward play by scoring from short range. Sixteen minutes after the restart Moore scored the winning goal for Aberdeen following one of his frequent clever individual runs.
Thistle's succeeding frantic and spasmodic rushes were of no avail against the Aberdeen half-backs and the exceptionally sound play of Cooper and McGill, and but for clever goalkeeping by Jackson Aberdeen would have gone further ahead from grand shots by Beattie and Moore. Only Watson in the attack justified himself, and even in defence Thistle's obvious want of confidence made that section less impressive than Aberdeen's rear.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 26th September 1932


Aberdeen fully deserved their victory at Firhill. As a team they were a cut above Partick Thistle. The homesters, who have collected only two points from a possible sixteen, gave a plucky display, but they lacked the cohesion and craft of the Pittodrie side.
The 6000 crowd that watched the Dons triumph must have wondered how East Stirling managed to beat them at Pittodrie.
It was a different Aberdeen team, although only one change was made in the personnel. They infused more spirit and pep into their play, and there was an all-round improvement.
The stars of the Aberdeen team were Moore and Falloon. The centre took part in most of Aberdeen's combined movements, and was ever ready for an individual dash, as he demonstrated when he scored the winning goal.

Falloon Shines.

The return of Falloon undoubtedly strengthened Aberdeen's defensive powers. The wee Irishman excelled as a breaker-up, and kept a watchful eye on Watson, who was Thistle's most dangerous forward.
McGill was the more prominent of the backs, and O'Reilly was the better the wing halves. In fact, the ex-Irish Free State player was the best wing half afield.
The attack combined well, and there was an improvement in the play of the inside forwards, Mills and Beattie.
Partick Thistle were fairly sound in defence, but they were weak in attack, especially on the extreme wings. Jackson, Calderwood, and McAllister were best in defence, and "Soldier" Watson, their new centre from Motherwell, was the bright light in attack. He took his goal smartly and gave the impression that, given the right support, he would do well.

Thistle's Opening Goal.

Aberdeen had the better of the opening exchanges, and almost took the lead when Moore accepted a return from Mills, eluded the defence, and lifted the ball against the crossbar.
Following this escape, Partick went ahead in eleven minutes. Watson let Dickson away on the right, and dashed close to turn the winger's cross into the net.
Aberdeen redoubled their efforts, and after Moore had shot wide, Jackson cleared from Beattie and Mills. Smart play by Moore saw a shot by Love strike McLean and go behind. Another Moore slip had Jackson in action to a Mills try, and then in a counter-raid Partick missed a chance. Dickson got away on the right, and Torbet slashed his cross high over. Smith was in action to a try by Watson.

Aberdeen's Equaliser.

With thirty-six minutes gone Aberdeen got a well-deserved equaliser. Moore was responsible for the movement. He slipped the ball to McLean, and the winger lofted it over for Mills to dash in and beat Jackson all ends up.
Partick attacked after this reverse, and Smith saved from Clark. At the other end Jackson held a grounder from Moore.
Aberdeen were again prominent in the second half, and Jackson punched clear from McLean.
Play swung quickly from end to end for a time, but neither 'keeper was seriously tested until Smith saved in rapid succession from Dickson and Clark.
Aberdeen were soon at the other end, and in sixteen minutes took the lead. McAllister failed to get rid of a hefty McGill clearance at the first attempt, and Moore dashed in, gained possession. veered to the right, and calmly placed the ball well out of Jackson's reach.

Partick Miss.

The Aberdeen goal had an escape when Smith ran out and missed a Torbet centre, but McGill cleared. In another Thistle raid Watson just missed from a Torbet cross.
Aberdeen were soon at the other end, where Jackson saved a great try by Moore.
Partick strove desperately for the equaliser, but even after Aberdeen had lost the services of Mills, who was injured fifteen minutes from the end, they held their own.

Source: Press & Journal, 26th September 1932

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Jackson; Calderwood, Donnelly; Elliot, McAllister, McLeod; Dickson, Grove, Watson, Clark, Torbet
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Firhill, Glasgow
Referee: J. Baillie, Motherwell
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride