Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Cowdenbeath 0 - 3 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: McLean 58, Moore 65, Beattie 67.

08/10/1932 | KO:

HOW DONS WON AT COWDENBEATH. Homesters Lack Punch at Goalmouth.

In a sodden ground and torrential rain Aberdeen scored a decisive victory over Cowdenbeath on Saturday. Craftier in method, Aberdeen, however, were sorely pressed to prevent Cowdenbeath from securing the lead in the first half. Except for fugitive raids by Moore, play was almost continually around the visitors' goal, but the finishing of the home forwards was poor and only one direct shot, from Venters, troubled Moore.
In the second half Aberdeen altered their tactics, McLean being ------- ------ action, and this policy brought success when in fourteen minutes, McLean opened the scoring. Falloon consolidated the position for Aberdeen by combining with Beattie to make the opening from which Moore got through to score a second goal, and later Beattie added a third.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 10th October 1932


The Cowdenbeath-Aberdeen match was played at Central Park in a steady downpour. On the greasy surface and with a slippery ball, it took the Dons the whole of the first half to get their bearings, but, once they had found their feet, they proved themselves much superior to the Fifers.
It must admitted that Cowdenbeath had the better of the opening half. They were quicker to adapt themselves to the underfoot conditions, and had they had a leader of the ability of Moore they would in all probability have retired with a lead at the interval.
Aberdeen altered their tactics in the second half. Whereas in the first period they had played close football, in the second half they opened up the game, and how successful was the change may be gauged from the fact that they scored three goals in ten minutes.

Irishmen Shine.

Two Irish selectors attended the match to see Aberdeen's Irish trio - Moore, O'Reilly, and Falloon - with a view to utilising them for the Ireland-England match on October 17.
The visitors must have been impressed with what they saw, for Moore was the outstanding player of the twenty-two, O'Reilly was the best half-back afield, and Falloon, although not kicking as cleanly as usual, played a splendid defensive game.
The Aberdeen defence was never comfortable on the treacherous surface. Smith did all that was asked of him in goal, and Cooper was the better of two rugged backs.
Godfrey, who came in for Mooney at left half, was only fair, but he cannot be judged on Saturday's form.

Three Goals Disallowed.

As already mentioned, Moore was the most prominent attacker. He was here, there, and everywhere, flicking, backheeling, and nodding the ball with ease and accuracy which at times bewildered the Cowdenbeath defence. He had one legitimate goal and three others - one in the first half and two in the second - chalked off for offside.
McLean, after a quiet first half, came out of his shell in the second period, and it was from him that most of the danger came. He notched the opening goal and had a hand in the second.
Johnston was the best Cowdenbeath defender, while Glancy and Campbell played well at halfback. The attack lacked a leader, and only Stewart and Venters showed any enterprise.

Aberdeen on Defensive.

Aberdeen were kept on the defensive at the start, but the only try of note came from a corner taken by Stewart. Smith disposed of this, and in an Aberdeen breakaway Moore accepted a Beattie slip to find the net, but the whistle had gone for offside.
The visitors kept up the pressure for a time, and Crosskey cleared from Love, while Moore and McLean had efforts blocked. The Fifers were soon at the other end, and after Falloon had stopped G. Robertson, Smith saved two great tries by Venters.
Another Aberdeen raid saw Crosskey go full length to a McLean drive, and in the next minute the Pittodrie goal had a narrow escape. Stewart beat Cooper, slipped the ball to Venters, and the inside man drove It against the crossbar.
Cowdenbeath continued to hold the advantage, but could not press it home, and the interval arrived with no scoring. Moore found the net for the Dons two minutes after the resumption, but the point was again nullified for offside.

The Opening Goal.

Aberdeen were a more convincing side this half, and within thirteen minutes took the lead. Moore did the leading-out work, whipped the ball to McLean, and the winger cut in to send into the corner of the net.
G. and J. Robertson changed places in the Fife attack, but this not make any material difference, and with twenty minutes gone Aberdeen increased their lead. Mills cleverly beat three men, gave to McLean, and, although Crosskey managed to push out the winger's shot, Moore was ready and waiting to tap the ball home.
Two minutes later Beattie broke through on the right, and his shot rebounded off Crosskey into the net. Cowdenbeath tried hard to reduce the leeway, but Aberdeen easily held their advantage.

Source: Press & Journal, 10th October 1932

Cowdenbeath Teamsheet
Crosskey; Hamilton,Johnston; Glancy, Menzies, Campbell; Hamill, J. Robertson, G. Robertson, Venters, Stewart
Attendance: 2,000
Venue: Central Park, Cowdenbeath
Referee: A. McLean, Rutherglen
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride