Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 5 - 1 St. Mirren

HT Score: Aberdeen 4 - 0 St. Mirren

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Mills 11, Beattie 14, McLean 31, Mills 43, Moore 51 (Pen).
St. Mirren scorers: McRae

15/10/1932 | KO: 15:00

DONS IN RAMPANT FORM. Homesters Strike Game From Start.

Aberdeen scored a decisive victory by five goas to one over St Mirren at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen. The home team, after gaining an early lead, were in irresistible form, and but for over-eagerness would have won by a bigger margin. St Mirren lacked punch in front of goal, and the defence was inclined to concentrate too much of their attention on Moore, the Aberdeen leader, with the result that the remaining forwards got plenty of scope, of which they were not slow to avail themselves. Aberdeen played first-class football. The defence was sound and the wing half-backs played a fine forcing game. The forwards, with the exception of Love, were at the top of their form, and their open, swinging game always threatened danger. Moor's distribution of the ball was excellent, and Beattie and Mills responded well. McLean was prominent on the left wing, but Love was handicapped by an eye injury. The St Mirren defence, although overworked, gave a plucky display. Walker's activities were mostly confined to policing Moore. The forwards, with the exception of Knox, finished weakly.
St Mirren opened promisingly, but fell away after Mills and Beattie had given Aberdeen a two-goal lead. McLean added a third for Aberdeen. The visitors reduced the leeway when a clearance by Smith hit McRae and rebounded into the goal, but before the interval Mills brought Aberdeen's total to four. The home team were easily superior after the interval. Moore netted with a penalty kick, a shot by McLean hit the upright, and Mills and Beattie missed chances from close range.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 17th October 1932


Aberdeen delighted their supporters with their decisive win over St Mirren at Pittodrie. There is little doubt that the 12,000 spectators expected to see the Saints make the Dons fight all the way for victory, but the homesters struck their game from the start, and had they accepted all the chances that came their way the Love Street team would have sustained an even sounder drubbing.

St Mirren adopted wrong tactics from the start. They concentrated too much on Moore, with the result that the other forwards were allowed plenty of scope.
The fact that Mills (2), Beattie, and McLean all found the net proves the Saints' policy wrong, and at the same time shows that Aberdeen possess more than one match-winner.
From goal out the Dons were more impressive than their opponents. Smith did well in goal, but was at fault when the Saints scored. Cooper and McGill were a capable pair of backs, and Falloon played a splendid defensive game. He gave McCrae, the visitors' leader, few chances.

Wing Halves in Form.

The wing halves were hard workers, and supported the forwards nicely. O'Reilly is improving every week, and Godfrey, who was playing his second game for the first team, gave a promising display.
In attack Beattie and Mills gave every support to their respective wingers. The ex-Bridgeton Waverley player struck up a fine understanding with McLean, and this pair were the most dangerous wing afield.
Beattie worked like a Trojan throughout, and opened up the game in fine style.
Moore got few chances to score, but distributed the ball judiciously, and in this way largely contributed to Aberdeen's victory.
Love was the only weak link. He was injured shortly before the interval.
The visiting defence had too much to do. Hay was the better back, and Miller the soundest of the intermediate men. Walker shadowed Moore, but did little else. Knox was the only forward who played to form.

Aberdeen on Top.

Force of numbers kept Moore from counting for Aberdeen in the opening minutes, and at the other end Rankin sent over from a McCrae header. Clever work by Godfrey resulted in Moore sending over, and Kenny later punched out a free-kick from McLean.
In eleven minutes Aberdeen took the lead through Mills. Moore gave to McLean, and the winger lobbed the ball across for the inside forward to head into the net.
Three minutes later the homesters became two up. Moore nodded a Love cross to Beattie's feet, and the ex-Aberdeen junior banged the ball into the net, near the post.
St Mirren never recovered from this blow, but fought back pluckily and forced three fruitless corners. Gebbie sent narrowly past and later Smith held a stinger from Workman.

McLean's Goal.

With thirty-one minutes gone McLean put Aberdeen three up. Beattie did the spade work, slipped the ball through to McLean, and although Kenny managed to stop the winger's shot, he could not hold it, and the ball crossed the line.
Seven minutes later St Mirren luckily reduced the leeway. Smith rushed out his charge clear long return, and instead of gathering the ball shot against McCrae, and It rebounded into the net.
Aberdeen continued to have the better of matters, and shortly before the interval Mills connected with a Beattie cross to take the home total to four. It was at this stage that Love was injured and had to retire.
Aberdeen were on the aggressive on the resumption, and after Kenny had saved from Beattie, Mills missed a great chance of completing his hat-trick. A hefty Cooper clearance went to the inside-left, and he smacked it into Kenny's arms from close range.

Moore Scores from Penalty.

Love resumed, and with six minutes gone Moore increased his side's lead five from a penalty for "hands."
The homesters were definitely on top this half, and Kenny punched over a free kick from Falloon and a good shot O'Reilly missed narrowly.
Mills let McLean away on the left, and it was fortunate for the Saints that the winger's shot got the upright.
St Mirren rallied, and Smith saved in quick succession from McCrae and Rankin, and shortly afterwards did well to stop a terrific drive from Knox.
Aberdeen attacked strongly again towards the close, but over-eagerness kept them from increasing their lead.

Source: Press & Journal, 17th October 1932

St. Mirren Teamsheet
Kenny, Baird, Hay; Gebbie, Walker, Miller; Knox, Workman, McRae, Rankine, Meechan
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: W. Dawson, Leith
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride