Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Morton 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Moore 82.

22/10/1932 | KO:


Morton were unfortunate to lose in the game with Aberdeen at Greenock on Saturday, but the failure of the home forwards to press home the advantages accruing from midfield superiority contributed greatly to the defeat. In a fast opening Aberdeen were prominent, but Hunter soon commanded attention by his subjugation of Moore, and Clunas, with Ritchie, concentrated on attack. Long periods of pressure on Aberdeen's goal brought out Smith's capabilities as a goalkeeper, but serious danger scarcely ever threatened, so deficient were the home forwards in shooting power. Spasmodic raids by Aberdeen lacked sustained effort, and only on one occasion, a shot from Moore, was Wilson troubled to clear.

In the second half play was almost barren of finishing power, although Morton were slightly more penetrative. Aberdeen, however, never flinched and eight minutes from the finish unexpectedly secured the lead. O'Reilly made ground on the right wing and shot. Wilson palmed the ball out, and Moore sent it into the net. A desperate attempt by Morton to level the scores kept interest I the game to the end.

Source: Scotsman, 24th October 1932

Moore Again the Match Winner


Morton folk must be considering themselves unlucky to have surrendered both points to Aberdeen at Greenock.
The Cappielow team are due a certain amount of sympathy. Territorially they held the advantage for two-thirds of the game, but they lacked co-operation.
The Greenock team are a dashing, go-ahead lot, but they are weak at inside forward.

In playing at home Morton held a big advantage, for the ground was as soft as putty and cut up badly, following heavy rain. Aberdeen were never at home under these conditions, but they foughy grandly all through, and it was almost due to their teamwork and fighting spirit that they emerged with flying colours. From goal outwards there was a much better understanding, and they always looked more dangerous when attacking, although it was eight minutes from the finish ere they notched the winning goal.

Smith in Form

Smith in goal p]ayed a big part in Aberdeen's success. Time and again he rose to the occasion when all seemed lost. Cooper and McGill had a gruelling afternoon, but they never flinched.
Playing the role of third back as usual, Falloon was ever in the thick of the fray, and he pulled Aberdeen out of more than one tight corner.
O'Reilly and Godfrey, the wing halves, were real grafters. The Irishman from Bridewell was the best intermediate man afield, and this despite the fact that he was handicapped by a leg injury during the second half.
In the first period the Aberdeen inside forwards and the wing halves were over inclined to play to the centre, and Beattie and Mills worked too close to Moore. These tactics did not pay against a Morton defence which did not stand on ceremony. When Aberdeen opened up play in the second period, and made use of the wingers, they became much more dangerous.
Warnock, who deputised on the right for Love,, was starved in the first half, but he made good use of his chances in the second period. McLean did fairly well in the first half, but was not so prominent in the latter stages.
Mills and Beattie were both clever, although inclined to overdo the fancy work. Moore was too well shadowed by Hunter to be as dangerous as usual, but he distributed the ball well and was responsible for the goal.

Play Described

Two early Aberdeen attacks were repulsed and three times Falloon intervened when Morton looked like getting in touch with Smith.
Keyes almost did the trick with a clever header from a Clunas cross, but the first thrill of the match came when Wilson had to go full length to a McLean try.
Sustained Morton pressure saw Cooper concede a couple of corners and Smith save smartly from Lyle and Leonard. The Dons retaliated and Wilson saved a shot and a header from Moore, while Beattie had a drive deflected for a corner.

Morton Determined

Morton were not to be denied, however, and in their next attack Smith brought off a great save from Ritchie, and later only a splendid recovery by Falloon saved the Aberdeen goal.
Smith was soon in the limelight again, saving grandly from McLaughlin and Leonard. Morton kept pegging away, but the Aberdeen defence held them at bay until the interval.
The homesters resumed on the offensive, but it was some time ere Smith was called into action to save a drive from Stewart. The Aberdeen goal had a lucky escape when Keyes lifted a Lyle cross over from close range.
The Dons ultimately shook off the pressure and Wilson saved from Beattie. Mills and McLean. Give-and-take play followed for a time, but Aberdeen were more prominent during this period.

Triumphant Rally

Moore missed narrowly with a header from a Warnock cross, and at the other end Smith brought off a great save from Ritchie.
With the end in sight Aberdeen rallied strongly, and with eight minutes to go opened the scoring. O'Reilly took the ball upfield, parted to Warnock, and, from the winger's return, shot for goal. Wilson managed to push down the shot, but Moore whipped it into the net.
This goal gave the Dons new life, and they retained their lead until the final whistle.

Source: Press & Journal, 24th October 1932

Morton Teamsheet
Wilson; Bourhill, Miller; Clunas, Hunter, Ritchie, Lyle, Stewart, Keyes, Leonard, McLaughlan
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
Referee: H. G. McArthur, Airdrie
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride