Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 St. Johnstone

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 St. Johnstone

Div 1 (Old)

26/11/1932 | KO: 14:20

POOR FARE AND NO GOALS. Dons' Attack Out of the Picture.

Aberdeen dropped a point to St Johnstone at Pittodrie Park in a game in which the spectators found little to enthuse over. The home team failed to reproduce anything like their form of the previous week, and St Johnstone, while displaying plenty of dash, showed little finishing power. The result did neither team an injustice.
The work of the Aberdeen attack was disjointed as a result of the absence of Moore. Armstrong was always a trier, but the distribution and opportunities of the Irishman was badly missed. Both sets of forwards were ineffective in front of goal, and the number of dangerous shots with which the goalkeepers had to deal could probably be counted on one hand. The best shot of the match came from Mason, one of the visiting half-backs, and Smith did well to clear it, even at a second attempt.
Play was on even lines for the greater part of the game. Aberdeen made a spirited rally in the closing stages, but apart from a shot from Beattie, which he turned round the post, McLaren was not seriously troubled.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 26th November 1932

There was little to enthuse over in the Aberdeen-St Johnstone game at Pittodrie. Neither team greatly impressed, and a goalless draw was a true reflex of the run of the game.
The wind to some extent affected the game, and it must be admitted that neither team adapted themselves with success to the conditions.
After their smashing victory over Clyde, the Dons were fully expected to retain both points, but their attack was lacking snap, and it was difficult to realise that the same team, with one exception, had rattled on eight goals against Clyde the previous week.
When Aberdeen won the toss and took advantage of the strong wind, the 12,000 spectators settled down in anticipation of the homesters hemming the Perth Saints into their own half. Judge their surprise when the Muirton team took the initiative, and more than held their own during this period.

Disjointed Attack.

The Saints half-back trio supported their forwards in fine style, but fortunately for Aberdeen, the forwards' response was poor. Not one carried a really dangerous shot, although their work in the outfield was neat enough.
Aberdeen, too, were frequently seen in the role of attackers, but the work of the forwards was disjointed, and with the Perth defence at the top of their form they were seldom dangerous.
Like St Johnstone, the Dons were seen at their best against the wind. They held the advantage territorially, but during this period, too, there was a lack of uniformity in attack.
With a draw appearing inevitable, Aberdeen in the closing stages brought all they had into an effort to save the day, but the Perth men, although sorely pressed at times, refused to surrender.

Moore Missed.

The conditions did not suit Armstrong, who deputised for the injured Moore. The ex-Port-Glasgow junior was nothing if not eager, but he could not hold the line so well as Moore, and he lacked the Irishman's opportunism. Moore was badly missed.
All the onus cannot be placed on the reserve leader's shoulders, however, for of the other four attackers only Beattie revealed anything like his best form. The ex-Hall, Russell's player strove time end again to rally Aberdeen's forces, but to no avail.
Beattie figured in one the best incidents of the game - a solo effort in which be beat three men - but he was dispossessed at the last moment.
McLean and Warnock, the extreme wingers, showed smart touches, but were not consistent. Mills was a trifle disappointing, and was not a patch on the Mills that had the hat trick against Clyde.

Heroic Defenders.

Falloon was a tower of strength in the home defence, and was the pick of the Aberdeen middle-men. The Irishman was injured in the second half, and was crippling badly before the finish.
Neither Godfrey nor Fraser gauged the wind properly, with the result that their passes were inaccurate.
Smith, Cooper, and McGill comprised a sound and capable rear trio. The 'keeper had not a great deal to do, but he deserves credit for two great saves in the second period, from Mason and McEachran.
Cooper gave a splendid display, and vied with Welsh for the honour of being the bent back afield. He was sure in his tackles and accurate in his clearances.

Confident Saint.

McLaren, in the St Johnstone goal, dealt confidently with what few shots came his way, and Welsh was the better of a pair of first-class backs.
The Intermediate line as whole was good, with Priestley outstanding. The attack was the only department that did not impress. Of the quintette, Dickie, the ex-Pittodrie lad, was most prominent, with Ritchie a close second.

Source: Press & Journal, 28th November 1932

St. Johnstone Teamsheet
McLaren; Welsh, Clark; Mason, Priestley, Ferguson; Ritchie, Dickie, Fulton, Ballantine, MacEachern
Attendance: 12,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: D. F. Reilly, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride