Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 Partick Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Partick Thistle

Div 1 (Old)

28/01/1933 | KO:

ABERDEEN RETURN TO FORM. Jackson Bars Way to Goal.

Despite the paucity of goals, the game between Aberdeen and Partick Thistle was always interesting.

The ground was hard as Iron, and away up in the Press-box one could hear the thud of the players' studs on the frost-bound surface. It was not day for taking risks, yet neither set of players spared themselves, and, play was wonderfully fast.
One felt sorry for Paddy Moore as he was carried off not long after the interval. His old knee injury reasserted itself as he was attempting to back-heel the ball, and It was obvious at once, as he collapsed, that he would take no further part in the game.
While the wrenched tendon which incapacitated him is said not to be as serious as the last occasion - he was off for a month following his first mishap - it is highly improbable that he will be fit to lead the Dons against Hibernian in the Scottish Cup-tie at Pittodrie next Saturday.
So that, apart altogether from the loss of a point, the game was an expensive one for Aberdeen.

Home Side's Monopoly.

The Dons revealed delightful form, particularly in the first half, and only a brilliant defence kept Thistle on level terms. The home team completely monopolised the attacking, and Thistle were decidedly fortunate to escape defeat.
The teams were numerically equal following Moore's accident, as Ballantyne, the Thistle's best forward, was also Injured soon after Moore had been taken the pavilion. The Firhill man pluckily returned, but after a few minutes was compelled to leave the field for good.
Aberdeen pleased the home crowd by their dash. There was not a weak link in the team, but a goal the Dona simply could not get.
Jackson, the Thistle's international goalkeeper, touched brilliant heights.
Once in the first half he threw himself along the ground to make a wonderful one-handed save from Moore's equally wonderful shot, and in this period, too, he clutched great drives from Mills, O'Reilly, and Love. It was his uncanny anticipation, however, that thwarted the home attack time and again.
On numerous occasions the ball bobbed almost under the Thistle crossbar, but always there was the flash of a red jersey and Jackson had once more punched clear or gathered and punted well upfield.

Lucky Escape.

There was one occasion in the second half, however, when "Stonewall" Jackson should have been beaten. It was after the teams had each been reduced by one player and Aberdeen continued dominant as ever. Beattie, who had gone outside-right after being hurt, flashed across a lovely ball.
As Mills took it in his stride the crowd shouted "goal." But no, the ball flew over the bar, with Jackson unable to believe his luck.
Thistle attacked more frequently and with greater purpose during the second period, but their forwards were as well held as ever by the home defenders. Smith had only two decent shots to deal with after the cross-over - prior to that he was never seriously troubled - and he saved them both confidently, one from McLeod and the other from Ballantyne, before the latter's injury.
Encouraged by the shouts of the crowd Aberdeen kept up a fierce pressure till the end but without success.

Confidence Restored.

Aberdeen certainly restored their supporters' confidence, somewhat shaken last Saturday, by their display.
The home attack, ably backed up by the halves, moved with a freedom and understanding that was quite exhilarating. Beattie has never played a harder game at Pittodrie. He was here, there, and everywhere, ever carrying the fight into enemy territory. Moore exhibited rare skill as a leader up to the time of his unfortunate mishap, and if he is absent against the Hibs he will be sorely missed. Mills and McLean made a delightful wing, and Love infused a pleasing dash into his work.

Source: Press & Journal, 30th January 1933

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Jackson; Calderwood, Cumming; Elliot, Donnelly, McLeod; ness, Miller, Watson, Ballantyne, Dickson
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Burdon, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride