Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup Second Round Replay

08/02/1933 | KO:


O'Reilly Fails as Leader.

VITAL BLUNDER BY PITTODRIE DEFENCE Just when the 24.000 spectators had made up their minds that extra time would be necessary along came Hibs' goal which has carried them into the last eight in the competition and means considerable financial return.
About eight minutes from the end Wilkinson sent forward from a free kick, and Halligan, lying unmarked, whipped the ball into the far side of the net well out of Smith's reach.
Seldom has the Aberdeen defence given a finer display than they did at Easter Road, and it was unfortunate that their first and only slip should result in disaster.
Somebody blundered - Halligan should never have been left unmarked.
The general opinion was that it was one the most fiercely contested games ever seen in the Scottish capital. It was anybody's game until the all-important goal was scored. It was hard luck on Aberdeen, just as it would have been hard luck on Hibernian had the Dons won through.

Defences Superior.

Taking the game all over defence was superior to attack. A hot pace was set from the start and neither side asked nor gave quarter. Hibs' first time methods getting the ball clear at all costs when their goal was in danger, and their fast and open plan attack carried the day.
They never allowed the Dons to play studied football, although it must be admitted that Aberdeen were the sweeter moving combination. The Dons gave a heroic display, and it was indeed unfortunate that defeat should be their portion.
There was still a lack of punch about the attack, however.
Every member the quartette worked nobly, but again they had to give the Hibs' defence befit.
The Aberdeen directors' experiment of playing O'Reilly at centre-forward was not a success.
The Irishman was as courageous as a lion, but did not fit into the scheme things. It was a case of a round peg in a square hole.
He certainly rattled the defence and took many a hard knock for his pains, but he never got a chance. O'Reilly, however, was a real trier, and more deserving of sympathy than criticism.

Johnston Does Well.

Johnston, the other newcomer to the forward line at outside right, made quite a pleasing debut. He was never comfortable against the hurly-burly tactics of the Hibs' defence, but he combined cleverly with Beattie at times and sent across some splendid crosses. The ex-Dundee Violet player is well worth another trial. He was asked a big question yesterday, and was not altogether found wanting.
Beattie, as usual, was one of the hardest workers on the field, and gave yeoman service in defence on occasions. He combined smartly at times, but still shows a penchant for hanging on the ball a trifle too long.
Mills and McLean had some delightfully clever runs on the left wing. The former cleverly beat his man on numerous occasions to let the extreme winger away.
There was a big Improvement in the play of McLean, who moved along the touch line with something of his old-time speed. He had a rough passage against Wilkinson, but he grimly stuck to his task.

Hard-working Trio.

All three half-backs were hard workers. The wing men, Fraser and Godfrey, both played soundly in defence, and they by no means neglected their own forwards.
The honours of the day, however, must go to Falloon.
This "pocket Hercules" Irishman's storming tactics time and again broke up determined and dangerous Hibs' attacks, and he seldom gave Flucker a chance. Edinburgh will not forget him in a hurry.
Seldom has Smith shown more confidence than he did yesterday. He and his backs worked with understanding, and several times he left his goal to avert awkward situations. He had chance with the shot that beat him.
The backs, on the whole, were a confident pair, but towards the close Cooper was just a wee bit inclined to become nettled, and on the day's play McGill was the better defender.

Daring Blyth.

It is enough to say that the Hibs' defence was as solid yesterday it was at Pittodrie on Saturday. Blyth got more to do on this occasion, and his charge had more narrow escapes, but he brought off several daring saves.
There was little to choose between Wilkinson and Urquhart, while Watson, at centre-half, again proved a thorn in the side of the Dons attack. He had many "teethy" duels with O'Reilly, and more often than not he came off best.
The attack moved with speed, but were not very impressive in front of goal. Halligan was the best of the quintette, and Wallace was the only other to impress. Attendance, 23,390. Receipts (exclusive of stand), £889 15s 3d.

Source: Press & Journal, 6th February 1933

Hibernian Teamsheet
Blyth; Wilkinson, Urquhart; Langton Watson, Macfarlane; McPherson, Wallace, Flucker, Halligan, Walls
Attendance: 23,000
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: W. Webb, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride