Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Celtic

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Mills 10, Mills 63, Moore 68.

07/10/1933 | KO: 15:00


Parkhead Men Never in Hunt at Pittodrie.

How have the mighty fallen! Celtic, Scottish Cup-holders, were beaten by three goals to nil at Pittodrie, and the margin in their favour by no means flattered the Dons.

In fact had the finishing of the home forwards been up to the standard of the remainder of their play the score might well have been doubled.
Aberdeen held a decided territorial advantage, and it is doubtful there will be a dissentient voice when it is stated that the Celtic team, as constituted on Saturday, is the poorest that has been seen at Pittodrie.
In the opening five minutes of the game Celtic gave the impression that they were going to make a fight of it, but after the Dons had opened the scoring in the tenth minute there was only one team in it.
Compared with the opposition Aberdeen were a first-class combination. They certainly gave a good display, but the finishing of the forwards could be improved.

Cooper's Pluck.

Defensively the home team was sound. Smith, in goal, had a quiet afternoon. he was well guarded by two sound backs in Cooper and McGill.
The former was handicapped during the second period by a head wound. It bled during the whole period, and it says much for his pluck that he carried on until the finish. After the game his wound was stitched.
One man stood head and shoulders above the others in the Dons' defence, and that was Falloon. The diminutive Irishman was the rock on which the majority of the Celtic attacks perished. He patrolled the centre of the field, and his tackling was fearless, if at times unorthodox, and he never made a mistake. Celtic will not forget him in a hurry.

Fraser was the better of two strong and progressive wing halves. He combined a fine defensive display by conceiving many smart attacking movements.
Moore and Beynon were the pick of the Aberdeen forwards. The latter, although opposed to McGonagle, Celtic's best defender, gave his best display since joining Pittodrie from Doncaster Rovers last season.
He was a fast and dangerous raider, and his crosses were always fraught with danger. Unfortunately, his partner Warnock did not lend him the best of support, but Beynon and Moore in combination caused the Celtic defence much anxiety.

His Old Dash.

The centre revealed something of his old dash and speed, and his goal - Aberdeen's third - was the best of the three.

Mills was clever on the ball and took his two goals splendidly. The least successful of the Aberdeen forward quintette was Gall, who missed several scoring chances by crossing instead of shooting.
Celtic were an unimpressive company. They were none too sound in defence, and their attack lacked cohesion and finishing power.
Wallace in goal did well, and McGonagle was the steadier and more polished back.
At half-back Wilson disappointed, and McStay, after a bright opening, was seldom prominent. Hughes was, perhaps, the best of the trio.
No member of the forward quintette Impressed. The O'Donnell's never settled on the left, and Dunn was too well held by Falloon to threaten danger. Crum and Buchan on the right showed occasional flashes, but these only came at rare intervals.

Never in Doubt.

Celtic had the better of the opening exchanges, but once the Dons settled the Issue was never in doubt. In ten minutes the homesters took the lead. Moore dashed through from a Thomson slip, he was tackled by McStay and the ball rebounded off the Celt to Mills, who ran through to net.
It was all Aberdeen in the second half and a goal was long overdue when, in eighteen minutes, Mills cutely nodded home a Moore lob.
Five minutes later Moore got the third and last goal. The centre and Beynon took the ball through between them, and from the latter's cross Moore half turned and banged the ball into the net.

Source: Press & Journal, 9th October 1933

Celtic Teamsheet
Wallace; Hogg, McGonagle; Wilson, McStay, Hughes; Crum, Buchan, Dunn, F. O'Donnell, H. O'Donnell
Attendance: 17,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Baillie, Motherwell
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride