Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

St. Mirren 2 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: St. Mirren 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
St. Mirren scorers: Workman 20, McCrae
Aberdeen scorers: Moore 55, Moore 59, Mills 80.

14/10/1933 | KO:


Dons Earn Victory in Second Half.


Thanks to an improved second half display, Aberdeen emerged victorious by the odd goal in five against St Mirren at Paisley.

Paisley enthusiasts may consider their team unlucky to lose both points, but that they did so was entirely their own fault.
The Saints should have had the game well won in the first period, when they held a decided territorial advantage.
During this half the Dons' defence failed to find nd effective method of stopping the swinging, first-time methods of the Paisley half-backs and forwards. Time and again the Aberdeen defence was caught napping, but the home forwards were amazingly inept at goalmouth and numerous golden opportunities were frittered away.

Interval Lead.

St Mirren led at the interval by a single goal when they should have had three or four. And the goal that they did get was a doubtful one, Aberdeen claiming for offside.
While the Aberdeen defence had been struggling to cope with the Paisley attack in the first half, the Pittodrie front line had been little in evidence except for sporadic raids. There was a tightening in defence after the interval, and the attack was seen to more advantage.
Beynon was the Dons' best forward. He proved too big a handful for Ancell, and it was from his crosses that the Dons' first two goals were scored.
He was quick off his mark, his centres were always dangerous, and he was not afraid to cut in and "have a go." In fact, two occasions he was unfortunate not to count.

Moore's Goals.

Moore got little support from his inside men, but he took his goals smartly and lent valuable aid to Mills in the scoring of the third and winning point.
Mills did not play to form. His passes lacked their usual crispness and accuracy, and he was not as enterprising as usual.
Warnock, too, failed to shine. He put in a hard afternoon's work, but much of his energy was wasted owing to the fact that he did not part the right moment.
That Gall on the extreme left was rarely in the limelight was probably due to the fact that he got little support.

Half-Backs Moderate.

The Aberdeen half-backs were only moderate. Thomson was slow and did not lend the forwards enough support, while Fraser, the best of the trio, was not as prominent as usual.
Falloon failed to reveal the form of the previous week, and there was a lack of understanding between him and his backs in the first half.
Cooper and McGill were both shaky at the start, but settled down later. Smith in goal was brilliant at times, but he was at fault when the Saints scored their second goal.
St Mirren were only mediocre in defence. Kenny was none too confident in goal, and Hay was the better back.
Miller took the honours in the intermediate line, and McCrae, despite several wasted chances, was the best attacker. Sim played fairly well in the first half, and Knox, who was making his first appearance for the season, was often dangerous in the second period.

Shot Weakly Past.

St Mirren took matters in hand at the start, and should have taken the lead when Workman let McCrae through with an up-the-middle pass, but the centre shot weakly past.
Twenty minutes had gone when Smith, attempting to clear, knocked the ball against McCrae, and Workman dashed to net
There was an improvement in the play of the Dons after the interval, and in ten minutes Moore headed home from a Beynon cross. Four minutes later, Moore neatly flicked home another cross from the right.
St Mirren broke away, and Smith missed a Muir free kick, and McCrae levelled the scores.
Ten minutes from the end, Moore and Kenny dashed for a Gall centre. Harassed by Moore, the keeper could only push it down, and Mills smacked the ball into the net.

Source: Press & Journal, 16th October 1933

St. Mirren Teamsheet
Kenny; Hay, Ancell; Gebbie, Miller, Muir; Knox, Workman, McCrae, McGregor, Sim
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: St Mirren Park (Love Street), Paisley
Referee: G. A. Pool, Edinburgh
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride