Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 2 Rangers

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Thomson 23.
Rangers scorers: Marshall 28, Smith 52

02/12/1933 | KO: 14:15


Aberdeen Unfortunate Not to Get Point.

Rangers beat Aberdeen at Pittodrie. But theirs was not a glorious victory. It was gained by the narrow margin of the odd goal in three, and it was a penalty goal at that.

Of the 17,000 spectators, few will deny that the Light Blues were the better balanced eleven, but they must admit, too, that on the run of play the Dons were unfortunate not to get a point.
While luck was with the visitors at times, Aberdeen have, to a large extent, themselves to blame for their defeat. They had everything in their favour. The crowd was with them; they had a driving wind and rain behind them; and they had the additional advantage of securing the opening goal.
They lost because their attack lacked cohesion and finishing power, and because of a penalty conceded by McGill, their left back.
Rangers must be well satisfied with their day's work. Relatively speaking they are now only three points behind the leaders.

Little Between Teams.

There was little between the teams at the start, both goals being visited in turn. Then in twenty-three minutes Aberdeen took the lead. This goal did not come as the result of brilliant play by the home attackers, but was nevertheless a bonny point and one that will be remembered for many a long day.
Thomson let go a terrific shot from a free kick twenty-five yards out, and the ball, entering the net like a bullet, rebounded from the iron net support into the field of play.
The lead was short-lived, however, a splendid combined Light Blues' movement resulting in the equaliser five minutes later.
Nicholson beat Fraser and, as Cooper to tackle, transferred to Venters. The inside man gave to Marshall, who, lying unmarked, ran in to beat the helpless Smith.

Disaster for Homesters.

Seven minutes of the second half had gone when disaster overtook the homesters and Rangers struck their vital blow.
Main cut in from the right and fell as McGill tackled him. The referee immediately awarded a penalty, and Smith beat his namesake with a grounder from the spot.
Following this the Dons launched attack after attack, but the damage was done. Rangers' half-backs and inside forwards fell back in defence, and the homesters' most desperate efforts failed to reveal a chink in this solid defensive armour.
Smith in the home goal came out of the game with an untarnished reputation, but neither Cooper or McGill were as sound as the Rangers pair.
McGill never got a grip of Main, and the will o' the wisp Ibrox winger had the beating of the back all through. On the day's play Cooper was undoubtedly the better back.

Thomson Sound.

The play of the Aberdeen middle men was quite good. Thomson signalised his return to the first team by a sound display at left-half. He tackled strongly and worked hard to get the attack going. The only fault that could be found with him was that he was inclined to wander out of position.
Falloon deserves credit for a grand defensive display. He held the burly Smith, and on several occasions dashed right or left to the rescue of his backs.
Fraser was a grafter, but he has played much better.
One can have no encomiums for the forwards. The best that can be said them was that they were a wholehearted and courageous quintette.
Beynon and Mills were probably best, but both have been seen to better advantage.

Moore Held.

Moore was too well guarded by Simpson to be dangerous, while Love never had the beating of Gray. Warnock was a hard worker and did a lot of running about, but it was wasted endeavour,?br> Dawson, Gray and McDonald were a sound Rangers rear trio. The goalkeeper only made one mistake, and that was when he dropped a McGill free kick, but there was no home forward there to turn the chance to account.
Gray, the former Aberdeen junior, gave a sterling display at right back.
Simpson was the man who mattered most in a good half-line. He it was, more than any other, who stood between Aberdeen and a point in the second period.
Meiklejohn and Brown were a pair of good wing halves, although they did not reveal the polish one would expect.

Honours in Attack.

The honours in attack go to Main and Marshall, one of the best right wings that has been seen at Pittodrie for some time.
Nicholson on the extreme left was only fair, but Venters, who came in for McPhail, gave the impression that he will fit into the Ibrox scheme of things nicely.
Smith was a hard working leader, but he met his match in Falloon, despite the latter's big physical disadvantage.

Source: Press & Journal, 4th December 1933

Rangers Teamsheet
Dawson; Gray, McDonald; Meiklejohn, Simpson, Brown; Main, Marshall, Smith, Venters, Nicholson
Attendance: 17,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: T. Small, Dundee
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride