Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Ayr United 1 - 2 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Moore 8, Love 50.

23/12/1933 | KO:


Two Players Receive Marching Orders.


The Aberdeen v. Ayr United match at Somerset Park on Saturday was marred by an incident which resulted in McGill and Brannan being ordered to the pavilion with sixteen minutes of the second half gone.
At this point Aberdeen were leading by two goals to nil. They had been the more dangerous side throughout, although Ayr had, if anything, more of the play.

The Dons were upset by the loss of McGill and after Rodger had reduced the leeway they were stretched to the full to maintain their slender lend.
Aberdeen deserved their victory, however. They were the better balanced and more methodical side. Ayr were inclined to rely too much on dash and first-time methods.
In their first attack Aberdeen had the ball in the net, Moore flicking a Mills pass home just as the referee's whistle went for off-side.
Eight minutes after the start the Dons opened the scoring. Fraser Iet Love away and as Wilson was in the act of clearing the winger's cross Moore dashed in to bundle the 'keeper and ball into the net.

Love's Fine Effort.

Aberdeen's second goal came five minutes after the start of the second half. Love fastened on to a Warnock slip, cut in for goal, and after beating Ure banged the ball into the net. It was a splendid effort.
About five minutes after the two players had been sent off the homesters reduced the leeway. Smith dropped a free kick from Ure, and Rodger nipped in to find the net.
Except for this mistake Smith, in the Aberdeen goal, gave a sound display.
Cooper was the better of the two backs, although McGill did quite well until he was ordered off. The right back, however, was opposed to the more dangerous winger.
All three half-backs played well, but the most polished of the trio was Fraser, who was the instigator of many of Aberdeen's attacks.

Falloon's Good Work.

Falloon kept a tight grip of McGibbon, the homesters' dashing leader, and when he was transferred to left back he did much useful work.
Thomson displayed some 'clever touches, and was a strong defender at centre-half in the closing stages.
The honours in attack go to Warnock, who beat his man cleverly, and lent much valuable assistance to Love.
The right-winger showed that he was more at home in that position than on the left, and proved a capable deputy for the injured Benyon.
Moore and Mills were clever and dangerous, while Gall, although never brilliant, paid his way.
Wilson in the Ayr goal did not inspire confidence, while Fleming was the better of a mediocre back division.
The star in defence was Currie, at centre-half. McCall made efforts to set his attack going, but he was not consistent.
The forwards were full of pep, but they lacked understanding. McGibbon was the most dangerous of the quintette, with Rodger a good second.

Source: Press & Journal, 26th December 1933

Ayr United Teamsheet
Wilson; Fleming, Ure; McCall, Currie, Holland; Robertson, Brae, McGibbon, Brannan, Rodgers   Brannan 61
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Smith, Cooper, McGill, Fraser, Falloon, Thomson, Love, Warnock, Moore, Mills, Gall.

Bookings:  McGill (61).
Attendance: 9,000
Venue: Somerset Park, Ayr
Referee: J. S. Yeaman, Dundee
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride