Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Partick Thistle 4 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Partick Thistle scorers: Bain 1, Miller 61, Bain 70, Miller 87

06/01/1934 | KO:


Former Aberdeen University Player Among Goals.

Aberdeen University, Keith, Elgin and Buckie should feel proud of Peter Bain. It was this player, who gained most of his experience with these clubs, that was mainly responsible for Aberdeen's 4-0 defeat by Partick Thistle at Firhill.

Bain, who was making his fourth appearance on the left touchline for the Jags, scored two of the goals, and it was from his crosses that Miller notched the other two.
On play the Dons should not have been beaten 4-0, but that they were was entirely their own fault.
The game may be summed up as follows: Partick took their chances, while Aberdeen did not.
So far as football skill was concerned, and territorially, too, Aberdeen held the advantage, but when it came to grasping opportunities the Dons were not in the same class as the Thistle.
That old fault of the Aberdeen forwards - weak finishing - was again in evidence. Time and again they worked downfield by skilful passing, only to overdo the tip-tapping when within shooting range.
While the Dons beat themselves to a certain extent, the Partick defence is due credit for a stout-hearted display.

Goal Down in Minute.

The Dons had the unusual and disconcerting experience of having goal scored against them in the first minute.
To give the Aberdeen players their due, they did not allow this to put them out of their stride.
They took the game in hand, and had they taken their chances they would have been ahead at the interval, instead of in arrears.
The Pittodrie players tired a little on the heavy ground in the second half, but even so, they were still top dogs. Partick, however, were full of fight, and that they were ever dangerous when they got away is proved by the fact that they scored three goals in this period.
Cumming in the Aberdeen goal had one or two good saves to his credit, and can hardly be blamed for his side's defeat.

Holes in Defence.

The defence, however, was caught wide open too often. Falloon, for once, was too prone to lie upfield, and this had an upsetting effect on the backs.
Cooper was unfortunate. He was one of the soundest defenders afield, but every time Bain beat him a goal resulted.
McGill was fair, although he never seemed comfortable against Pritchard and Wyllie.
Thomson played well in the first half, but faded out later, while O'Reilly was seen at his best in the second period.
The Aberdeen forwards were clever in advancing with the ball, but it ended there. They overdid the fancy work.
Warnock was probably the best of the Pittodrie forwards, but he missed two chances in the first half.
He along with Moor and Mills were a cIever inside trio, but they lacked punch.
Moore distributed the ball cleverly, and on one occasion he was unfortunate not to count when he got through, only to fall over the leg of a defender who had fallen.
Mills was smart at times, but has been seen to better advantage.
Beynon, on the right, was dangerous, but his crosses lacked their usual accuracy. Gall did not have a good afternoon and will have to show improvement if he is to retain his place.
Johnstone in the Thistle goal played a big part in his side's victory, and he was covered by a sound pair of backs in Calderwood and cumming.
McAllister, sound in defence and clever in attack, was the best of a fair half line.
As already mentioned, Bain was the star attacker, although Miller, too, played grandly.
Ford, Partick's new recruit from Newcastle showed clever touches, and may improve when he has more understanding with his team-mates.

How Goals Were Scored.

Clever work by McLeod saw Cumming save from Miller in the first minute, and before he could recover Bain had the ball in the net.
Sixteen minutes of the second half had gone when Bain sped down the left and shot accurately. Cumming pushed the ball out a at full length, but Miller was in position to lift it into the net.
Nine minutes later Falloon, in attempting a clearance, sent against the crossbar, and Bain fastened on to the rebound to add a third goal.
The fourth counter came in the closing minutes when Miller turned a Bain cross to advantage.

Source: Press & Journal, 8th January 1934

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Johnstone; Calderwood, Cumming; Elliott, McAllister, McLeod; Pritchard, J. Wyllie, Ford, Miller, Bain
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Firhill, Glasgow
Referee: H. Watson, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride