Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Raith Rovers

Scottish Cup First Round
Aberdeen scorers: Moore 30.

20/01/1934 | KO: 14:30


Team Will Not Travel Far on Saturday's Form.,/p> Aberdeen are safely into the second round of the Scottish Cup. They beat Second Division opposition in Raith Rovers by the only goal of a match which was interesting mainly for the never-say-die spirit displayed by the losers.

Although vanquished, the Kirkcaldy team took more credit from the game than the Dons. They never surrendered and their fighting spirit may be gauged from the fact that they looked likely to force a replay as the homesters did to increase their lead. Aberdeen's display was far from convincing and did not augur well for the future. The Scottish Cup has never found a resting place at Pittodrie, and, unless there is a big improvement in the finishing of the forwards, any hopes of this being "Aberdeen's year" can be cast aside. Admittedly they were a more stylish and better balanced team than the Rovers, but of what use is style and balance If they are deficient in the all-important matter of goal-getting?

Missed Chances.

Had the Aberdeen attackers taken chances they would have won with plenty to spare. Timee and again they worked the ball downfield only to over-elaborate when within shooting range. Not one of Aberdeen's forwards is worthy of the name of marksman. They simply could not round off their smart outfield play. One thing was made clear, and that was that this form will not do. Raith almost took the lead In the first quarter of an hour, When a terrific Oliphant drive smashed against the crossbar. Had the ball entered the net one would not have given much for Aberdeen's chance of entering the second round. Beynon was the best of the Aberdeen forward quintette. He was out position on the left - it was a quite common thing see him bring the ball over to his right foot before crossing or shooting - but he was keen as mustard and ever ready to dash through or cut in. Moore was disappointing. He took his goal well, but his distribution, which is usually a feature of his play, was poor. Mills never seemed to get into his stride on the hard ground, and has been seen to far better advantage. Warnock was probably the hardest worker afield, but for the most part it was wasted effort. The inside right had several possible scoring chances - two of them good - but not one did he turn to account. Johnston on the right wing fell far short of the form he showed against Third Lanark the previous week. Certainly he got across one or two good balls, but in the main he was well held by Cunningham. From goal to half-back Aberdeen were sound. Smith in goal had a comparatively easy time. He was well guarded by Cooper and McGill, both of whom were in excellent form. Falloon had a good day. He was untiring and often successful in his breaking up of the Raith attacks. He held Penman, the Kirkcaldy centre, in a grip of iron. Fraser and Thomson were sound in defence, and in the first half quick and mobile in attack. Raith were were beaten but not disgraced. Their defence came out of the game with enhanced reputation.

Courageous Defenders.

Wallace in goal had several clever saves to his credit, and Allan and Cunningham were a pair of courageous first-time defenders. The honours of the day, however, rest with Hoggan, who gave Moore little scope and set his team mates an example by his boundless energy. Oliphant, a name that will not be easily forgotten by Aberdeen whenever cup-ties are mentioned, was the schemer-in-chief of the Raith attack, and had he got more support would have been dangerous. Of the others, Ovenstone, a quick and dangerous right winger, was most in the limelight. He received a knock during the game, and at the close was taken to the Royal Infirmary suffering from slight concussion. He was allowed to leave after attention. Aberdeen's solitary counter was secured after half-an-hour's play. Moore and Mills attempted a break through, and when a Mills shot rebounded off a defender, Moore crashed it into the net.

Source: Press & Journal, 22nd January 1934

Raith Rovers Teamsheet
Wallace; Allan, Cunningham; Scott, Hoggan, Crichton; Ovenstone, Oliphant, Penman, Smith, Kinnear
Attendance: 12,959
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: D. F. Reilly, Port Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride