Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup Third Round
Aberdeen scorers: Love.

17/02/1934 | KO:


Dons Mobbed by Thousand of Enthusiastic Fans.

Aberdeen are high and dry in the fourth round of the Scottish Cup. They travelled to Easter Road on Saturday, and after a hard struggle they emerged triumphant by the only goal of the game. Andy Love got the all-important counter four minutes after the start. The "star" of the game was Eddie Falloon, the Dons' diminutive centre-half.
There were remarkable scenes at the Joint Station on Saturday when the train bearing the triumphant Aberdeen team arrived at 9:30. Thousands of enthusiastic supporters gathered to greet the Dons. The players were mobbed, and several were carried shoulder-high. Love came in for most attention. He attempted to slip quietly away, but he was soon surrounded by enthusiastic fans, and was borne triumphantly from the station on their shoulders.


Big Part Played by Falloon and Love in the Dons' Triumph

Hopes that the Scottish Cup will land at Pittodrie this year are rising. The Dons' splendid victory at Easter Road has brought cup fever to concert pitch, and Wednesday's ballot for the fourth round will be awaited with impatience.

It was a happy band of 600 Aberdeen supporters who left Easter Road at the conclusion of the match. They had witnessed a pulsating, if not epic, struggle, and their team had scored a meritorious though narrow victory.
It was generally agreed by friend and foe alike that the better team had won. The Dons played the more studied football. There was an air of confidence about their defence, and the will-to-win spirit was in evidence in their ranks from the first to the last kick of the match.
Hibs started off at a terrific pace, but the Pittodrie defence refused to give ground. Then, in four minutes, the homesters found themselves in arrears.
It was Aberdeen's first attack, and Mills was the instigator. He cut down the left wing, lofted the ball over for Warnock to nod it to Love's foot, and the winger, who was lying handy, drove it into the net near the far post.

Nearly Another.

This goal gave Aberdeen all the confidence in the world, just as it put Hibs out of their stride and left them fighting against the collar for the remainder of the game.
Aberdeen almost increased their lead in the next minute, when Armstrong, although harassed by several opponents, managed to get in his shot, which struck the upright with the 'keeper out of his charge.
Had the ball entered the net it would have been all over. As it was Hibs fought desperately until the end, but they were up against a better team.
The Aberdeen defence presented a bold front to the Hibs' attack all through. They never faltered, and every man inspired confidence.
Smith, in goal, was sure and deft in his movements, and his sideways and onehanded save of a Malloy header in the closing stage will not readily be forgotten.
Cooper and McGill were a pair of stalwart backs. The former never faltered in the face of Hibs' most fierce onslaughts, while McGill rattled into the opposition with refreshing abandon.
To Falloon, however, goes the defensive honours of the day. The Irishman displayed unbounded energy. His guarding of the centre of the field played a big part in the wrecking of Hibs' cup hopes, and he was quick to go to the aid of either the backs.
Thomson and Fraser, the wing-halves, were tireless workers. Their quick tackling upset the Edinburgh attack, and when possible they supported their forwards splendidly. Fraser was the more polished.
Well played veteran Andy Love! He was the best forward afield. Love was reckoned to be past his best at the beginning of the season, but he proved this to be all wrong on Saturday.
He was as fleet of foot and dangerous as ever, and his lightning dashes down wing were a continual source of danger to Hibs.
He worked smoothly with Warnock, who revealed clever toutches and was one of the most wholehearted players afield. The only blot on the inside-right's copy book was a bad miss near the end.

It Went Past.

He and Armstrong went through the Hibs' defence with one of the best passing movements of the day, but when 'goal' was on everybody's lips, Warnock smashed the ball past.
Armstrong may not be the complete centre - he does not possess Moore's craft - but his enthusiasm cannot be doubted. He kept his end up on Saturday. Watson found he could not take liberties with the reserve leader.
Mills' ability to open up play proved invaluable. This youngster did a lot of good work, but he, too, missed a grand chance in the second half, after he had worked through with Armstrong.
Benyon is not entirely comfortable on the right wing, but he played his part on Saturday although rather outshone by Love.

Sympathy for Hibs

One cannot help extending a modicum of sympathy to Hibs on their narrow defeat, but they cannot deny that they were beaten by a better team.
Their defence was sound, although not inspiring the same confidence as Aberdeen's.
Blyth had numerous smart saves to his credit, but one one gaine the impression that he was a trifle slow in getting down to Love's shot which found the net.
Wilkinson and Urquhart were a pair of hard tackling, clean kicking backs, and the received excellent assistance from the burly Watson who was the Edinburgh side's best defender.
Egan and Langton were smart wing halves but they did not attain the same standard as the Aberdeen two.
Smith, Malloy, and Moffat, the Hibs' inside trio, were too well guarded to be dangerous. They failed to find a chink in the Dons' defensive armour.
Walls and Kavanagh on the wings were the best forwards, but they were never allowed to get to close quarters.

Source: Press & Journal, 19th February 1934


Stowaway Plot on Trawlers Foiled.

Not for many years has a cup-tie between Aberdeen and a south team caused so much excitement as was the case on Saturday, and amazing scenes of enthusiasm were witnessed when the team arrived at the Joint Station on Saturday night.
Aberdeen travelled home from Edinburgh by the six o'clock train, arriving in the town at 9.30. When the train steamed into the station the players were surrounded by a huge crowd of supporters several thousand strong.
Although the players attempted to mingle with the crowd and make a quiet exit, they were quickly recognised and several were carried triumphantly from the station by admiring fans.
Love, as the scorer of the all-important goal, came in for most attention. 'Andy' tried to get away unobtrusively, but he was quickly spotted and hoisted on the shoulders of supporters who carried him some distance from the station before he managed to make good his escape.
The keen interest in the game was shown at Pittodrie where cheers were raised when the half-time score was shown, but many left the ground at the close half expecting to see the Dons and Hibs fight their battle again on Wednesday. The score-board was the cause.
The half-time score was correctly shown as 1-0 Aberdeen, but at the close of the A team match some humourist changed the score-board to read 2-2.
The result was later changed to 1-0. but by the time the mistake had been rectified hundreds had left the ground under the impression that the game at Easter Road had ended in a draw.
Shortly before the results edition of the ' Evening Express ' came on the street, hundreds had gathered in Broad Street, and many were the results that spread like wildfire through the crowd. There was loud cheering when the paper appeared and it was found that Aberdeen had triumphed.

Ingenious Scheme.

It's hard to keep a good "fan" down! Large numbers of Aberdeen football enthusiasts, unable to afford the train fare to Edinburgh, thought of a rather ingenious scheme whereby they might get to Easter Road free of cost. Every weekend many Aberdeen trawlers go to Granton for coal, and the football fans decided to stow away on those boats, which would get them to Granton in time to see the great cup-tie.
The discovery that there was a wholesale stowaway movement on foot was made by one of the crew of the Aberdeen trawler Buchans. When he went below he found several men on board, men who had no right to be there. When the skipper arrived he ordered the 'boarders' ashore, but they refused to go, and the help a policeman had to be obtained.
Large crowds of intending stowaways soon lined the quay, all apparently intent on a free trip to Granton. Police reinforcements arrived, and a thorough search of the Buchans resulted in over thirty men and lads being sent ashore. Some of them, not sure of being able to get back by boat, had taken bicycles with them to return by road. Others, to while away the time, had taken mandolins, melodeons, and mouth-organs.
The trawler Strathderry, also due leave early in the morning, was also searched, and between twenty and thirty men and lads were unearthed and put ashore.
Throughout the early hours of the morning fresh batches of men and boys were arriving at Point Law, and the police had to be constantly on the watch to make sure that nobody got on board the departing trawlers except the crews.
Before the alarm was raised, however, one boat had left for Granton with a number of "passengers," who reached the Firth of Forth port in time to go to Easter Road and see the Dons' victory.
The idea of stowing away on the trawlers is believed have originated and spread around at the Employment Exchange or the Public Assistance Office on Friday when the men assembled for their weekly payments.

Source: Press & Journal, 19th February 1934

Hibernian Teamsheet
Blyth; Wilkinson, Urquhart; Langton, Watson, Egan; Walls, Moffat, Malloy, Smith, Kavanagh
Attendance: 25,600
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: H. Watson, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride