Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Rangers 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup Quarter Final

03/03/1934 | KO:



Irishman ever in Thick of Battle : Keeper's Magnificent Work.

A scrappy goal scored with the last kick of the first half shattered Aberdeen's hopes of this year bringing the coveted Scottish Cup to Pittodrie.

For once, fortune did not favour the brave. The Dons fought magnificently against the strong wind in the first half, and when it seemed that success would crown their efforts came that goal of Smith's, just as the referee was about to blow for half-time. The result might have been different had the Dons held out until the interval, but of course that is a matter of opinion.
There were more than a thousand Aberdeen supporters at the match, and it is doubtful if one could be found who does not maintain that that goal of Moore's scored in the first half-hour was a legitimate one.
The Rangers defence had moved up behind their attack when a hefty clearance saw Moore get off his mark like a flash, beat Simpson and Gray, and whack the ball into the net. The referee gave offside, apparently being of the opinion that Moore was in the Rangers' half of the field when the ball was last played, but many contend that the centre was in his own half of the field.
This was only one of three disallowed goals. Mills had the ball in the net in the first fifteen minutes, but was pulled up for a foul on Dawson, and then five minutes later McPhail netted for Rangers, but Marshall had impeded Smith.

Hard Struggle.

It was a hard and keen but not a thrilling struggle, and considering the prominent positions of the teams on the League table the football was not of a very high standard.
Taking the game all over, Rangers perhaps deserved their victory. Territorially they held an advantage over the Dons, but only in attack, where they carried more weight and punch, could they be said to be the superior of Aberdeen.
The Dons were seen to best advantage in the first half, when although Rangers had slightly the better of the exchanges, Aberdeen seemed as likely to open the scoring.
Then came the goal which altered the trend of the game. Main beat McGill and crossed to McPhail. The inside-left had cutely positioned himself clear of the Aberdeen defence, but Smith advanced from his goal and blocked McPhail's shot with his legs. A hectic goalmouth scramble followed, and Smith came out of a crowd of players with the ball at his feet to shoot into an empty goal.

Warnock's Fine Effort.

That goal gave Rangers confidence. Their play improved in the second half, and twice Smith failed to clinch matters when he had the goal at his mercy. Only once during this period could it be said that Aberdeen came near equalising ? in the closing stages, when Warnock brought Dawson to his knees with a terrific low shot.
Two players of the twenty-two stood out above all others, and they were Smith, the Aberdeen 'keeper, and Falloon, the centre-half.
Smith had four really magnificent saves, and each was worthy of the unstinted praise of the 53,000 crowd. But for the brilliance of the 'keeper, Aberdeen would undoubtedly have fallen by a bigger margin. Steve has never played better than he did at Ibrox.

Irrepressible Falloon.

Five feet five and 10st. 9lb. of dynamite - that describes Falloon. Neither the crowd nor the Rangers' team will forget the irrepressible little Irishman in a hurry. He flitted here, there and everywhere, always where the battle waged fiercest. He never gave the giant-like Smith a chance. The crowd divided their time between laughing and cheering him.
The Aberdeen defence as a whole was sound. Cooper held his own with Fleming, and vied with Gray for the honour of being the best back afield.
McGill worked hard all afternoon attempting to hold Main, and that he did not altogether succeed speaks well for the winger.
Fraser was Aberdeen's best wing half, and the outstanding of the four. He was sure in his tackling, and worked the ball upfield and parted to his forwards in splendid fashion.
Thomson was kept busy by the Main-Marshall wing, and his shoulders drooped wearily at the finish of the game.
The Pittodrie attack at times played clever football, but it lacked weight and punch and was all too seldom dangerous.
Warnock put in a power of work both in defence and attack, and was probably the best of the quintette.
Love, his partner, sprang into prominence on occasion with smart runs and crosses, but he was more subdued than usual.
Benyon, on the left wing, worked well with Moore in the first half, but after the interval he was seldom in the picture.
Mills, who covered a lot of ground in the first half, when he aided the defence and attempted to play his part in attack, tired after the interval.
Moore received little support in the opening half, when he had to chase the ball, and after the interval he was handicapped by a cut chin and shoulder injury. Moore's chin injury required two stitches.
Gray, former Aberdeen junior, was Rangers' most polished defender. He positioned himself well and tackled and cleared with accuracy.
McDonald, too, was a sound back, and Dawson in goal, although not much in the limelight, seemed safe.
Simpson was prominent only in a defensive capacity but he kept a good grip of Moore.
Craig and Brown, the wing halves, did quite well, but did not reveal the polish expected.

Ibrox Front Line.

The Ibrox attack, although stronger and more dangerous than that of Aberdeen, did not attain brilliant heights.
Main, on the right wing, was their most consistent and dangerous attacker. Fleming, on the extreme left, was prominent at times, but was out of position.
None of the inside trio was impressive. Marshall and McPhail showed smart touches without being outstanding, and Smith seemed slow and never got out of the toils of Falloon.

Source: Press & Journal, 5th March 1934

Rangers Teamsheet
Dawson; Gray, McDonald; Craig Simpson, Brown; Main, Marshall, Smith McPhail, Fleming
Attendance: 53,000
Venue: Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Referee: J. Thomson, Burnbank
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride