Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Queen of the South

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Queen of the South

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Warnock 34.

22/08/1934 | KO: 19:00


Improved Aberdeen Side Well Deserve the Points.

Aberdeen gained their second victory of the season at the expense of Queen of the South at Pittodrie last night.
They only scraped home by a single goal, but they were deserving of victory. They were a better balanced side than Queen of the South, and but for a splendid display by the Dumfries defence would have scored a more substantial victory.

The Dons were an improved side compared with Saturday. There was more "life" about the whole team, and especially the forwards. It is not surprising that the Aberdeen directors have decided to rely on the same team for Saturday's match with Hibs at Easter Road.
Queen of the South fought back gamely in the second period, but previous to this Aberdeen had been definitely on top. It is worthy of mention that Smith made his first save ten minutes after the interval.
Five minutes after the start Aberdeen had the crowd on their toes. Armstrong followed up a Mills slip and slashed the ball goalwards for Fotheringham to save brilliantly, and a minute later Mills crashed the ball against a defender for a fruitless corner.
The Dons were going strong. Warnock robbed Ferguson and sent forward to Beynon. The winger cut in and drove hard for goal, but a defender's body intervened and another corner resulted.
Mills, Armstrong and Benyon took part in a well-conceived raid, and only bad luck kept both the centre and Beynon from counting. Mills caught Fotheringham with a lightning turn and a surprise shot, but the 'keeper managed to push the ball past. Aberdeen were doing all the pressing and when Warnock speedily raced after an up-the-centre pass, only a great effort by Savage saved the Dumfries goal.

Heroic Defence.

Aberdeen were desperate to open their account, but Culbert and Savage defended heroically. Mills, Armstrong and Warnock all got through in rapid succession, but each of their shots were charged down.
Tulip caught Cooper napping in a snappy Queen's raid when he collected a loose ball and whipped it back for McGinlay to drive narrowly past. Fortune frowned on the Dons when Fotheringham left his charge and Spittal drove goalwards for Savage to clear on the line.
In thirty-four minutes the Dons' pressure was rewarded when Warnock got his head to a fine Spittal corner and nodded the ball into the net.
Two Spittal corners gave the Dumfries defence trouble. Fotheringham doing well to push the first over. It was all Aberdeen. Mills brought Fotheringham full-length with a slashing drive, while Spittal was unfortunate with a hard effort.
In the opening minutes of the second half Queen of the South lost the services of Ferguson, who was injured, but he was able to resume after attention. Ten minutes after the start Queens almost equalised. It was Smith's first save - from J. Anderson - and he fumbled it, the ball striking the upright.
A Spittal run saw Warnock screw the ball goalwards with his head, but it went past. The Dons had again taken matters in hand, and Thomson instigated a movement which ended in Fotheringham saving on the post for a corner.
A determined Dumfries rally saw W. Anderson force a corner off McGill, but the flag-kick was cleared.
Slackness on Falloon's part brought danger to the home goal. W. Anderson beat the centre-half and centred accurately for Nesbitt to head into Smith's hands. The Dons were not slow to reply, and a piledriver by Beynon whizzed past Fotheringham's charge.

Queens Go Down Fighting.

Queens were fighting to the last ditch, and the homesters were lucky when McGinlay beat Falloon and smashed the ball inches past.
Fotheringham was glad to get rid of a Fraser free-kick at the expense of a corner, and shortly afterwards Warnock shot narrowly past.
The Aberdeen defence was sound. Cooper and McGill both kept their respective wingers in hand, and Falloon, besides policing the centre of the field, was ever ready to go to the aid of his backs.
Thomson was a better wing half than Fisher, who played far below his usual form.
Mills was the best forward. He was clever on the ball, and opened up play in fine style. Armstrong was a dashing leader. He was a trifle unlucky on more than one occasion. Beynon was lively on the right wing, and gave the Dumfries defence a lot of trouble, while Spittal, if less prominent, showed promise.
One can have nothing but praise for the Queen of the South defence. They fought gallantly against overwhelming odds in the first half. Ferguson in goal made no mistake, and Savage and Culbert were a grand pair of backs.
Allen was a fine defensive centre-half, and Ferguson a brainy left-half.
The attack was well held by the Aberdeen defence, but McGinley and Tulip gave the impression that given any rope they would be dangerous.

Source: Press & Journal, 23rd August 1934

Queen of the South Teamsheet
Fotheringham; Savage, Culbert; Gordon, Allan, Ferguson; W. Anderson, J. Anderson, Nesbitt, McGinley, Tulip
Attendance: 11,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. H. Ramsay, Edinburgh
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride