Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Rangers 2 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Rangers 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Rangers scorers: Smith, Smith
Aberdeen scorers: Mills, Smith 88.

17/11/1934 | KO:


Doubted Shot That Might Have Won Match.

Aberdeen in dividing the points with Rangers at Ibrox accomplished their finest performance of the season. The Dons came very near to lowering the League leaders' three-year-old undefeated home record.

Each team was credited with two goals, but many thought Aberdeen scored a third. A shot by Mills which beat Dawson appeared to be over the goal-line when kicked clear by Gray, but the referee thought otherwise.
It must admitted, however, that a win would have flattered the play of the Dons. Rangers were the better-balanced and more direct side, and it was only Aberdeen's dour fighting spirit, shown in the last fifteen minutes, when they rallied strongly, that earned them a point.

A Hard Game.

It was a hard game which had its dull periods, although there were plenty of thrills. The majority of the latter came in the second period. The Light Blues had crossed over with a goal lead. The goal was scored by Smith, the big Rangers' centre. Main sent in a fast header which rebounded off Falloon, and the centre charged the ball into the net.
Shortly after the re-start came an incident, or rather two incidents, which had the 18,000 spectators on their toes.
Brown sent in a fast shot from an oblique angle. The ball struck the upright and came out. The referee signalled penalty, the ball having struck an Aberdeen defender on the arm.
Venters took the spot kick and Smith saved, but the inside right, following on, lashed the ball into the net. The whistle had not sounded, however, and the referee ordered the penalty kick retaken.
This time Brown took the kick, and Smith brought off another great save, Cooper dashing in to help him to complete the clearance.

Another for Rangers.

Rangers were exerting stiff pressure at this stage, and they got their reward when they scrambled home another goal. Steve Smith, who was in brilliant form, could do no more than punch out a McPhail header, and before he could recover Smith had barged the ball into the net.
It was in the last twenty minutes that the Dons were seen at their best.
Mills started the revival by going through on his own and sending in the shot which seemed to be over the line before it was cleared.
he Dons took new heart and crowded on all sail. Thomson took a free kick given against Gray, and Mills rose to nod the ball away from the keeper and into the net.
Aberdeen kept at it and a fierce drive by Thomson had Dawson beaten but struck the upright.
Rangers were badly rattled. The excitement reached its pitch when, with two minutes to go. Fraser gained possession. He worked his way up the middle, hesitated a moment, and then pushed the ball out to Benyon. The winger sent over a fine centre and R. Smith, with only a small part of the goal as target, shot straight and true into the net.

Rangers Delight.

Rangers played delightful football. The ball travelled from man to man with great precision, the half-backs having a fine understanding with the forwards. Despite the sturdy defence of the Dons the Light Blues should have had the game well won before the visitors' great closing rally. That they had not was due to the weak finishing of the forwards.
Aberdeen's play lacked the polish of that of the Rangers. The half-backs were prone to sky the ball and the forwards, at times, indulged in bouts of close passing which led them nowhere, while their finishing could also have been improved upon.
Steve Smith has seldom been seen to better advantage. He was confident in everything he did. Cooper and McGill came through a gruelling test with credit. The former had a particularly busy time with Gillick, but never gave in. Falloon, too, excelled in defence.
Fraser and Thomson, apart from that tendency to sky the ball, played strongly. Their work for long spells was confined to defence, but when opportunity offered they were always ready to force play.

Hard-Working, But-

The forwards were grafters all, but, apart from Mills, they were not effective. Benyon found McDonald a stiff hurdle and neither Armstrong nor Warnock could throw off the grip of the Rangers' half-backs.
Mills was clever on the ball and was not afraid to go through on his own. Smith had same rousing tussles with Gray. He took his goal coolly and cleverly.
Dawson was not too impressive in the Rangers' goal, but Gray and McDonald were a pair of sound backs. The half line was a shade better than that of Aberdeen because of the more studied play. Brown was the best half-back on view, his play being of international standard. Gillick was the Light Blues' best forward. McPhail was prominent until he received a knock in the first half.

Both teams wore black armlets and stood in silence for two minutes as a tribute to Mr Duncan Graham, the chairman of Rangers, who died last week.

Source: Press & Journal, 19th November 1934

Rangers Teamsheet
Dawson; Gray, McDonald; Meiklejohn, Simpson, Brown; Main, Venters, Smith, McPhail, Gillick
Attendance: 18,000
Venue: Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Referee: H. Watson, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride