Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Falkirk 2 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Falkirk 0 - 2 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup First Round
Falkirk scorers: Walker 80, Keyes 85
Aberdeen scorers: Armstrong 10, Mills 20, Armstrong 86.

26/01/1935 | KO:


Three Goals in Breathless Ten Minutes.


The meeting of Falkirk and Aberdeen at Brockville was worth travelling miles to witness. It was the sort of tie fans dream about but seldom see. There was clever football by Aberdeen in the first half, and thrills enough to satiate the greatest of thrill seekers, in the closing ten minutes.

Just imagine! Ten minutes to and Aberdeen leading 2-0; five minutes to go and the cores level at 2-2; full time, Aberdeen, 3, Falkirk, 2.
It was a great game and the result was just right. There were many Falkirk enthusiasts who thought, their team unlucky to be beaten after that great fighting finish, but no one could deny that on the day's play the better team went forward.
The hero of the match was Mills, the Dons' inside left, and he was carried from the field shoulder-high at the finish by jubilant and gaily bedecked Aberdeen supporters.
There were unprecedented scenes of enthusiasm by wildly excited fans of both teams in the closing ten minutes.
A section of the Falkirk crowd ran on to the field to congratulate Keyes when he scored the equaliser, and a contingent Aberdonians swarmed on the field when Armstrong headed home the winning goal.
When Falkirk scored a lucky opening goal with ten minutes go, and then Keyes levelled the score, it seemed as if the League game disaster of December 29, when the Dons led 2-0 until near the finish and were beaten 3-2, was to be repeated.
The blue jerseys of Falkirk seemed everywhere, but the Dons, who visualised victory being snatched from their grasp in the closing stages, girded their loins, turned the tide, and succeeded in pulling off a narrow but deserved victory.
Aberdeen were a class above Falkirk so far as football skill was concerned, but the "Bairns" demonstrated that honest, whole-hearted endeavour can go long way in a cup-tie.

Dons Superior.

Aberdeen played first-class football in the opening forty-five minutes. There was cohesion and understanding in their ranks, and it was early obvious that they were the superior football combine.
The Falkirk backs and half-backs had to work tremendously hard to prevent them running up an unassailable lead before the interval. As it was the Dons scored twice.
In the second half the Bairns did most of the attacking. Aberdeen seemed content with their two goal lead, and concentrated too much on defence. These tactics almost proved fatal.
Mills was the outstanding player afield, his ball control and footwork being par excellence. In the first half he was here, there and everywhere, opening up play and pushing the ball up the centre to Armstrong in great style.
His colleagues in the front rank responded in fine style, and none better than Armstrong. The centre touched his best form, and his quick darts in on Leggat had a disconcerting influence on the Falkirk defence. Armstrong took his goals well, the first being a great effort.
Beynon on the right wing, despite the fact that he was opposed to a sound defender in Hamill, got across some good balls, but seemed to be suffering from a leg injury in the second half.

Conwell Does Well.

Conwell was a whole-hearted inside support, and will improve with experience. Although Ritchie Smith has been seen to better advantage his raids always carried danger, and he played an active part in the all-important third goal.
The Pittodrie wing halves were strong and mobile. Fraser was the better of the two, being especially prominent in attack. His "steady boys" in the closing stages, when things were running against the Dons, had a steadying influence on the players.
Gavin at centre-half got through a power of work. He kept a good grip of Keyes, and his understanding with the backs was first-rate.
Cooper and McGill were reliable under pressure. The right back was the more polished, but McGill was opposed to the more dangerous winger.

Spectacular Save.

Some thought that Steve Smith was at fault when the first Falkirk goal was scored, but it must be admitted that the ball did seem to be going past.
He had one spectacular save in the second half. Walker was waiting for a Wilson cross when the 'keeper dashed from his charge to bring off a full-length save.
The Falkirk defence deserves credit for a plucky display. Leggat was criticised when Aberdeen opened the scoring, but the 'keeper did not seem to have any chance with Mills's header.
Nisbet and Hamill were a pair of strong, hardworking backs, while both Murray and Batchelor played well. The latter played a prominent part in the Falkirk revival.
There was a lack of cohesion in the Brockville front rank. Wilson and Keyes were the men who threatened most danger, but the centre did not receive the best of support from Baxter and Cabrelli.

Best Goal of Match.

Aberdeen opened the scoring in ten minutes with what proved to be the best goal the match. It came as the result of Armstrong forcing a corner off Hamill.
Beynon placed the flag-kick accurately, and with a panther-like leap Mills rose head and shoulders above a crowd of players to head into the net. The inside-left went into the net with the ball, and rose ruefully rubbing his face.
Clever combination between Armstrong and Mills led to the second goal ten minutes later. The centre gave to Mills, and the inside-left coolly retained possession until Armstrong had run into position, and then slipped the ball up the centre for the Dons' leader to smash it into the net.
Falkirk's first goal came thirty-five minutes after the start of the second half. An ordinary looking lob by Walker came across, and to the surprise of everybody was suddenly caught by a gust of wind and whirled into the net.
Five minute from the end Keyes fastened on to a Batchelor pass, half wheeled and crashed the ball into the net from the eighteen yards line.
One minute later came the winning goal. Ritchie Smith worked his way down the left and crossed for Armstrong to smartly head into the net.

Some 500. spectators made the journey by special train and bus.

Source: Press & Journal, 28th January 1935

Falkirk Teamsheet
Leggat; Nisbet, Hamill; Batchelor, Shankley, Murray; Wilson, Baxter, Keyes, Gabrelli, Walker
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Brockville Park, Falkirk
Referee: W. Bell, Motherwell
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride