Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 0 Albion Rovers

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Albion Rovers

Scottish Cup Second Round
Aberdeen scorers: Mills 20, Armstrong 34, Smith 56, Armstrong 80.

09/02/1935 | KO: 15:00


Dons Easily Overcome Hard Work by Rovers.

As the score suggests, the "Wee Rovers" were well beaten at Pittodrie.

For the first quarter of an hour it looked as if the Coatbridge team would make a real live fight of it. Their bustling, go-ahead style of play appeared to unsettle the Dons, but gradually the homesters found their stride.
The first goal, scored in twenty minutes, increased the Aberdeen, team's confidence, and from this period onwards it was almost a foregone conclusion that Aberdeen would contest the third round.
The homesters were superior in all departments. It was a game of contrasts.
The Rovers attempted to gain their objective by sheer grit and honest endeavour, while the Dons relied on subtlety and craft - the result proves which tactics were the more efficacious.

Clever Goal.

Aberdeen's opening goal was a clever affair. Ritchie Smith broke away the left, and crossed the ball to Armstrong. The centre was well covered, and realising he had no chance he jumped over it and allowed it go to Mills. The inside-left gathered the ball, beat his man and smartly tapped past Crosskey, who had advanced from his charge, into the net.
Thirty-four minutes had gone when Armstrong snapped a chance made for him by Moore. He took the inside-right's pass, veered out to the right and smashed the ball into the net.
Eleven minutes after the start of the second period Moore started another movement which ended in goal. The inside-right let Johnston away, and although Armstrong's shot from the winger's cross was blocked, Ritchie Smith was on the spot to fire the ball into the net.
The fourth goal came ten minutes from the end. Moore and Johnston led the attack. A shot by the winger was blocked, but Armstrong ran forward to shoot. Again Crosskey got his hands to the ball, but could only push it on to the upright, from which it rebounded into the net.

Might Have Been More.

On two other occasions during this half the Dons might have increased their lead. Early in the period Armstrong missed a gilt-edged opportunity. Waddell failed to stop a long forward pass by Mills, and the centre, with nobody to beat but Crosskey, shot past.
Armstrong was unfortunate on the second occasion when, after he had enticed Crosskey from his charge, he lofted the ball over the 'keeper's head against the crossbar.
The Aberdeen attack played well, but there is still room for improvement. The outstanding players of the quintette were Mills and Armstrong. Many of the Aberdeen raids were led Mills, one the hardest working and cleverest forwards on view.
Armstrong led the line with success. His unexpected darts in on goal and smart distribution made him a continual source of danger.
The experiment of playing Moore at inside-right was only a partial success. There was no doubting the Irishman's cleverness, but he was slow.

Good Triers.,/p> Johnston and Smith (R.) on the wings were both triers, and while they did quite well they can improve.
Gavin proved a capable substitute for Falloon at centre-half. He was quick and clean in his tackling, and there was splendid understanding between him and the backs.
Fraser and Thomson, were a clever pair wing halves. They kept a good grip of the opposing forwards, and yet found time to lend their own attack plenty of support.
Smith, Cooper and McGill comprised a solid rear trio. So well was the 'keeper guarded by the backs that it was seldom he was severely tested.

Plucky Rovers.

Crosskey, Waddell and Beath were pluck personified. They battled gamely all through, and the left back was the best defender on the Rovers side.
So busy were the half-backs trying to stem the tide of the Aberdeen attack that they could lend their forwards little support. Bruce worked hard to hold Armstrong, but the best of a mediocre trio was Liddell.
The attack was wholehearted but lacking in guile. The best of the line were Renwick and McPhee. These two were the only attackers who threatened danger. The centre would have got goals had he been given better support. McPhee was speedy and crossed a number of good balls.

Source: Press & Journal, 11th February 1935

Albion Rovers Teamsheet
Crosskey; Waddell, Beath; Liddell, Bruce, Browning; McPhee, Lyon, Renwick, Anderson, Barclay
Attendance: 19,359
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. M. Martin, Ladybank
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride