Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 1 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hibernian 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup Third Round Replay
Hibernian scorers: Walls (pen) 44
Aberdeen scorers: Mills 36.

27/02/1935 | KO:


Decision Regarding Venue of Third Meeting Left to S.F.A.


Hibernian and Aberdeen will have to meet a third time to decide who shall enter the fourth round of the Scottish Cup competition.
In their replayed third round tie at Easter Road yesterday they were level at one goal each at the end of ninety minutes, and though extra time was played there was no further scoring. After the match the officials of the clubs held a conference, but were unable to come to a mutual agreement as to the venue of the next meeting. Accordingly the fixing of the venue will be left to the S.F.A.
Hibs suggested Tynecastle on the ground that elsewhere they were not at all likely to get a decent gate, but Aberdeen stuck out for either Dundee or Perth.
The ultimate winners of the tie are assured of a bumper gate in the next round, for Celtic will be the visitors at either Pittodrie or Easter Road.


Dons Get Bad Fright Near End of Game.

(After extra time.)

Not a brilliant game, but a breath-taking do-or-die struggle.
If the Aberdeen goal had several narrow escapes, so too had that of Hibs.
A draw was just the right result; it would have been pity had either team won.
Not one player on the field spared himself, and it was a weary and mud-bespattered company that trooped off at the finish.
Although not yet at their best, the Dons were an improved team compared with Saturday. They did not win, but the will-to-win spirit was apparent from first to final whistle, and on neutral ground they should yet manage to give Hibs their conge.
Yesterday's was one of the hardest and most thrilling games ever staged at Easter Road.
A typical Cup duel, quarter was neither asked nor given, and stoppages for injuries to players were frequent.
As on Saturday, defences were, for the most part, superior to attack, yet there was no lack of thrilling incident.

"Heart Attacks " for Crowd.

Each team scored once, but either might have won. So numerous and narrow were the escapes run by both goals that the crowd was subjected to one "heart attack" after another.
Aberdeen received their biggest fright near the end of the statutory ninety minutes, when an offside goal by Anderson was disallowed. The spectators did not hear the whistle, and several seconds elapsed before they realised that it was no goal.
With the advantage of a stiff breeze the Dons had the better of the opening exchanges, but after they had taken the lead through Mills, Hibs fought back vigorously and got on level terms as the result of a penalty. The score remained unaltered until the interval.
In the second period the game see-sawed first in one team's favour and then in the other but neither could deliver a decisive blow.

Fighting Spirit.

It seemed if Aberdeen would he run off their feet in the early stages of the extra time, but the players, although tackling almost blindly at times, stuck to their task with splendid fortitude.
Some idea of the fighting spirit of the Dons may be gained from the fact that in the final quarter of an hour they rallied strongly, and in the last few minutes the ball was bobbing dangerously near the Hibs' goal line.
Aberdeen's defence had a busy afternoon, and they came out of the game with flying colours.
Smith in goal failed to hold the penalty on this occasion, but he gave a polished display. High and low shots came alike to him.

Cheers for Smith.

He gave us a fright on one occasion when he fumbled a shot from his namesake, but how he was cheered when he safely dealt with magnificent drives by Smith and Walls from free kicks.
Both Cooper and McGill experienced difficulty with their respective wingers. The right back came in for criticism from the crowd for using his weight, but he played well, and McGill, although opposed to Hibs' most dangerous forward, also enhanced his reputation.
Never have Fraser and Thomson, the wing halves, tackled more fiercely or fought more courageously.
Fraser had taken so much out of himself that he could barely kick the ball at the finish.
Falloon's only blunder was the conceding of the fateful penalty, and there were quite a number who thought the referee's decision a trifle harsh.
Mills was Aberdeen's No. 1 forward, but the line as a whole has not yet recovered its former balance and snap.
The inside left worked the ball adroitly, and it was he who led the Aberdeen rallies in the closing stages. His goal was a glorious affair.
Beynon on the extreme right was fast and dangerous, and should do even better in the replay - he will have gained more confidence following his recent injury.
Armstrong tried desperately hard to land a telling blow, but he was too well guarded by Watson.

Warnock Injured.

Warnock was injured early in the second half and changed places with Ritchie Smith. The inside right was more conspicuous than on Saturday, and after his injury, although obviously in pain, he carried the ball downfield on several occasions.
Smith (R.) was rarely in evidence on the wing, but his trickiness at inside forward gave the Hibs' defence one or two anxious moments.
Watson, the Hibs' centre half, was again the dominating personality in the defence.
He was always where the fighting was thickest and it was he who held Aberdeen's most dangerous attack.
Hill, in goal, although less busy than Smith (S.), had several grand saves to his credit.
He was protected by two sound backs in Wilkinson and McDonnell.
Egan rather outshone Wilson, but both played well. Walls was the most dangerous forward and Miller, his partner, who was playing his first senior game, gave a good account of himself.
Anderson and Smith comprised a tricky left wing and gave Cooper and Fraser many anxious moments.

Play Described.

Aberdeen's goal ran an early escape when Walls darted through from an Anderson slip while the Pittodrie players claimed for offside. Fortunately the winger shot narrowly past.
Two corners followed for Hibs but were cleared and Beynon smartly raced away the right and crossed for Wilkinson to head over the bar for safety.
Against the wind Hibs were giving as good as they got, and following a Wilson free-kick Smith saved brilliantly from the Hibs inside left.
Aberdeen attacked desperately and there were several hectic moments in the Hibs goalmouth. Wilkinson blocked a try by Armstrong and Beynon sent narrowly past.
Walls missed a fine chance when Anderson broke through, drew the defence, and crossed for the outside right, lying unmarked, to send past.

Mills Scores.

In thirty-six minutes Aberdeen took the lead. A neat slip by Beynon saw Mills elude first Watson and then Hill, who had left his charge, to slip the ball into the net.
It was just on the interval that Falloon tripped Miller in the penalty area, and Walls put Hibs on equal terms.
Hibs were first to be dangerous in the second half, and Flucker headed Walls cross against the upright.
The Dons counter-attacked, and from a Beynon lob Ritchie Smith missed a chance. He hesitated, and his shot was deflected for a corner.
Play ranged from end to end, with both defences working in top gear.
At this stage Warnock was injured, and changed places with Smith (R.).

Dons' Goal in Danger.

A free kick against Falloon outside the penalty area had the Aberdeen goal in danger, but Steve Smith leaped high to punch over Walls' shot.
Then came a near thing for Hibs. Hill left his charge, missed a Warnock free kick, and Watson and Armstrong fought for possession practically on the goal line. The centre-half managed to hold off the Don until the 'keeper recovered.
Anderson had the ball in the net in the next attack, but to the relief of the Aberdonians the referee gave offside. The exchanges waged furiously but evenly until time.
Hibs had the better of the first fifteen minutes of the extra time, but the Aberdeen defence, although sorely tried, stood firm.
In the second quarter of an hour play swung from end to end, but more than once in the closing minutes the Hibs' goal looked like falling.


Mills Carried Shoulder-High at Aberdeen.

Enthusiastic scenes were witnessed at the Aberdeen Joint Station last night when several hundreds of football enthusiasts greeted the Aberdeen football team on their return from Edinburgh.
When the train appeared the crowd surged on to the platform, and as the members of the team stepped out of their compartment they were loudly cheered. Mills, who scored Aberdeen's goal, was seized by the crowd and carried shoulder high from the station.
As the crowd, accompanied by the team, got to the middle of the station they were joined by a piper who played the team and their many followers out to the tune of "Cock o' the North."
After leaving the station Mills finally succeeded in eluding his many admirers and boarded a bus in Market Street.

Source: Press & Journal, 28th February 1935

Hibernian Teamsheet
Hill; Wilkinson, McDonnell; Wilson, Watson, Egan; Walls, Miller, Flucker, Smith, Anderson
Attendance: 21,000
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: W. Webb, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride