Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 2 Hamilton

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 2 Hamilton

Scottish Cup Semi Final
Aberdeen scorers: Mills 50.
Hamilton scorers: Wilson 4, King

30/03/1935 | KO:


Disallowed Goal That Would Made All the Difference.

Had the score read 2-2 it would have been more in keeping with the run play.
The Dons were unlucky to lose. They had no reason to complain of the Accies' 2-0 lead at the interval, but on their second half showing they merited a draw.
The outstanding incident of the game was a disallowed goal in the second half, when Hamilton were leading 2-1. Moore charged Shevlin in possession of the ball. The 'keeper dropped it and Armstrong netted. The referee blew his whistle, presumably for a foul by Moore.

Had it Counted!

Aberdeen players and officials are unanimously of the opinion that it was good goal. Had the point counted the Dons would still be interested in the Cup, aye, perhaps in the final.
Hamilton Accies are a sound cup-tie team. They played fine, fast, direct football the first half, and were ever dangerous. During this period the Dons were badly rattled.
A somewhat lucky goal for the Accies in the opening five minutes had an upsetting influence on the Pittodrie men. It came about this way.
A corner by King bounced off the top of the crossbar and Wilson shouldered McGill and the ball into the net as the back attempted to head clear.

Into Empty Goal.

There was no denying that Hamilton's second goal was a well-taken affair. Reid beat Cooper and lobbed the ball over.
Smith left his charge but failed to cut it out, and with the Aberdeen defence spreadeagled King headed into an empty goal.
The Dons were hardly recognisable as the same team in the second half. Magnificent is the only word which describes the manner in which they rallied and fought back. They seemed to take a new lease of life.
Gone was the half-hearted nervous play that characterised the first half. The boot was on the other foot now. It was the Accies who were rattled.
Five minutes had gone when Mills gathered a ball nodded down Thomson, ran three steps and slashed it into the net.

Desperate Effort.

Following this success the Dons launched attack after attack in a desperate effort save the day. Dame Fortune bestowed her smiles on Hamilton on numerous occasions.
There were three escapes in particular which will live long in the memory of Aberdeen enthusiasts who saw the match. One, the disallowed goal, has already been referred to.
Then there was that shot by Mills which Shevlin at full stretch got his fingers to. The 'keeper sprawled helplessly while the ball trickled along just outside the line to run behind.
Last but not least was that closing effort by Mills which seemed certain to enter the net when it was deflected over the bar by Wallace.

Mills a Star.

The hero of the match so far as Aberdeen was concerned was undoubtedly Mills.
He was the inspiration of the Aberdeen team in the second half, working the ball splendidly, and shooting with power and accuracy.
As a whole the Aberdeen attack was by no means impressive. Armstrong was a game and hardworking leader, but found it well-nigh impossible to elude the crafty McStay.
Moore, although he did not last the pace, tried hard, and the principal weaknesses were at wing forward. Neither Ritchie Smith nor Beynon did anything of note. They were well held by the Hamilton backs.
The star at half-back was Fraser. After the interval he came away in splendid fashion, carrying the ball upfield and urging on his forwards in great style.

Falloon Holds Wilson.

All praise too, to Falloon. Dave Wilson had proved something of a bogey to the Irishman in League matches this season, but the Dons' pivot more than held his own on this occasion.
Thomson has been seen to much better advantage.
Shaky in the first half, Cooper and McGill improved later, and after the interval the right-back revealed something of his best form.
Smith in goal was criticised for leaving his charge when the Accies notched their second counter, but with the defence wide open the 'keeper had little choice.
Hamilton were well served in defence by Shevlin, Wallace and Bulloch. Wallace was probably the best defender afield.
Cox at right-half was smart both in defence and attack, and McStay at centre-half inspired confidence.
In a fast and dangerous attack, the two wingers, Reid and King, were tricky and enterprising. In this respect the Accies held a decided advantage over the Dons.
Harrison was the cleverest forward, although Gilmour, who deputised for McLaren, played fairly well. Wilson was a leader with whom few liberties could be taken.

The Game

Hamilton were the aggressors at the start, and within four minutes they were a goal up. This seemed to unnerve the Dons, and for a time they were at sixes and sevens.
Harrison and Reid were playing well on the left, and it was off a cross from the left winger that Accies got their second counter. Reid rounded Cooper, and instead of shooting he sent the ball across the goal. Smith ran out to clear, missed the ball, and King rushed in from the right to head the ball through.
Wilson was the danger man in the Accies' attack after this, and twice McGill stopped the centre when he was clean through. The Aberdeen attack was definitely off at this stage.
What a transformation in the second half. In five minutes Mills fastened on to a clearance by McGill and gave Shevlin no earthly chance.
Aberdeen went at it hammer and tongs. Shevlin made a wonderful one-handed save from a shot by Mills. Armstrong then had the ball in the net, but the referee disallowed the goal. It was a disappointing decision which did not go down well with the crowd.
The Dons kept up a constant attack, and in the last ten minutes there were ten Hamilton players in the penalty area striving to keep out the eager Aberdeen attackers.
A last minute equaliser seemed assured, Mills got the ball with clear space in front of him, but somehow Wallace got a boot to the inside man's effort, and the ball sailed over the bar for a corner. The game ended with the Dons still pressing.

Attendance, 31,924; receipts. £1829 5s 9d.

Source: Press & Journal, 1st April 1935

Hamilton Teamsheet
Shevlin; Wallace, Bulloch: Cox, McStay, Murray; King, Gilmour, Wilson, Harrison, Reid
Attendance: 31,924
Venue: Celtic Park, Glasgow
Referee: W. Webb, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride