Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Ayr United

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Ayr United

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: McKenzie 1, Lang 12, Beynon 85.

07/09/1935 | KO: 15:00


Win More Easily Than Score Suggests

Aberdeen won even more easily than the score suggested. The Dons got off to a flying start, their first run upfield yielding a goal. It will go down in history as the quickest goal ever scored at Pittodrie. Four Aberdeen players participated in the movement. Armstrong tapped the ball to Mills, and from the inside-left it went to Falloon. The Irishman lobbed the ball up the middle, and Armstrong nodded it down to McKenzie, who ran forward to drive the ball into the net. The first Ayr man to touch the ball was T. G. Smith - when he picked it out of the back of the net.

First-Class Play

This goal gave the homesters any amount of confidence, and they served up some splendid football. The play of the forwards in the outfield was really first class, but they were inclined to carry their pattern-weaving too far. While the finishing of the attackers still leaves something to be desired, it must be admitted that on several occasions during the first half bad luck alone prevented the Dons increasing their lead. Smith brought off brilliant saves from Thomson and Mills, while McKenzie struck the underside of the crossbar. Although lacking the craft of the Aberdeen line, Ayr possessed a nippy attack, and twice during the first half they might have got on level terms.

Fleming's Slips

Fleming, the former Rangers leader, was the sinner on both occasions. Early in the period Watters cleverly eluded McGill by heading the ball, and he left Fleming in possession in front of goal. The centre foozled his shot, and the ball went past. Then again later in the half Watters made a good opening for Fleming, but the centre shot hurriedly, and the ball went wide. In the opening minute of the second period the Dons almost repeated their first-half feat, Beynon finishing a movement by smashing the ball against the crossbar.

Lang's Great Goal

Twelve minutes had gone when Aberdeen got a splendid second goal. McKenzie smartly carried the ball through and sent out to Lang. The winger met it on the run to give Smith no chance. An appeal by Ayr for offside was turned down by the referee. Once more the woodwork came to the Honest Men's rescue when Beynon drove against the upright from a Mills slip. Five minutes from the end Beynon broke away on the right and his shot found the net while Armstrong was harassing Smith. The Aberdeen defence was unbeaten for the second time this season. Westland, who was again deputising for the injured Smith, was never seriously tested. Cooper, McGill and Falloon comprised a rear trio against which the Ayr attack could make little impression.

Fleming Well "Policed"

Cooper was a sure-tackling and strong kicking back, while McGill, although he experienced some little trouble with Watters, made few mistakes. Falloon, as usual, "policed" the centre of the field, and seldom indeed, was Fleming left unguarded Thomson, however, was the best half-back afield. Not only did he play a prominent part in checking the Somerset Park attack, but he was ever urging on his own forwards. It was the best he has played this season. Fraser gave a poor display, although he tried hard. McKenzie was the best of the forwards. He was clever on the ball, and adept at making for his team-mates. Despite the fact that Clark seldom left his side, Armstrong contrived to give the Ayr defence a good deal of trouble. Mills has been seen to much better advantage. It was only for brief moments that he revealed his best form. Lang was a fast and enterprising left winger and he took his goal well, while Beynon, on the extreme right, was seen at his best in the second period. He missed a good opportunity in the first half, but atoned in the second period, and twice the woodwork kept him from counting. T. G. Smith, Ayr's latest capture from Queen's Park, gave a splendid display in goal, and had one or two brilliant saves. He received excellent support from Bourhill and Dyer, a pair of hardworking backs. The half-back line did not impress, while in attack Watters and McCall took the eye most.

Source: Press & Journal, 9th September 1935

Ayr United Teamsheet
T. G. Smith; Dyer, Bourhill; Taylor, Clark, Holland; Watters, McGibbon, Fleming, McCall, Rodger
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. R. Boyd, Denny
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride