Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Arbroath 0 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Arbroath 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Armstrong 61.

12/10/1935 | KO:


But Have to Fight All the Way for Only Goal at Arbroath


Not Very Impressive at Arbroath

A goal scored by Armstrong sixteen minutes after the start of the second half sufficed to give Aberdeen the points against Arbroath at Gayfield on Saturday. The Dons were the better team, and deserved victory, but the play of neither team was particularly inspiring. Although they could have won by a much more substantial margin, Aberdeen came within ace of losing a point, when in the last minute Steve Smith brought off a somewhat lucky save from a Flucker free kick.

Strong Wind

The game was spoiled to a great extent by a strong wind, which played strange tricks with the ball, and was responsible for numerous passes going astray. Neither team succeeded in turning the wind to advantage, and it was a day on which spoiling tactics predominated. Both defences played well, but nevertheless the finishing of both sets of attackers was much below standard. This was not so surprising in the case of Arbroath, whose front line was more or less of an experimental nature, but better things were looked for from Aberdeen. Arbroath had the advantage of the strong wind in the first half, but the Dons seemed as likely to score as the homesters. Certainly the "Red Lichties" held a territorial advantage, but when the Pittodrie attack got going there was more cohesion and understanding about their movements. Arbroath's storming tactics proved of no avail against a sound Aberdeen defence.

Blank First Half

There was no scoring in the first half, and one could not be blamed for expecting Aberdeen to win decisively in the second period. The wind was not strong, but there was still a good breeze. The Dons were definitely on top, and little was seen of the Arbroath attack except for sporadic raids. Yet all Aberdeen's pressure yielded but a single goal. Armstrong netting following a well-placed Lang corner. With the wind in their favour Aberdeen should have rained shots on the home goal, but, truth to tell, it was only on rare occasions that Cumming had anything of a really dangerous nature to deal with. There was not enough "devil" in the finishing of the Aberdeen front line. By their victory the Dons avenged the 1932 Scottish Cup defeat at the hands of Arbroath at Gayfield. The Dons did not lack support, for hundreds of Aberdeen supporters travelled south by road and rail, and even a mascot, dressed in the Aberdeen colours, took the field before the start and again when Aberdeen scored.

Smith's Easy Afternoon

The Aberdeen defence was always masters of the Arbroath attack. Smith, in goal, has seldom had an easier time, thanks to the clever understanding which existed between Cooper, McGill and Falloon. The right-back was at the top of his form, tackling with confidence and kicking with surety. McGill, too, played soundly, while Falloon, who had been below form in recent games, was his old reliable confident self. Thomson was the better wing half-back, and while he was seen mostly in a defensive capacity, there were occasions when he made an effort to link up with his forwards. Fraser worked hardest in defence, but the Dons' skipper was well below his best form. Lang was the most sprightly and dangerous attacker, and with a little luck he would have found the net. He showed a rare turn of speed and was always willing to cut in and have a shot.

When Mills Impressed

Mills was seen his best in the first half when he showed clever ball control in spite of the wind and often set the attack going with accurate ground passes. Armstrong was closely guarded by Duff but contrived to keep his teammates well supplied with the ball, and proved a continual source of anxiety to the Arbroath defence. McKenzie was not so effective as usual, while Beynon, although eager, was too often caught out of position when the ball came across to the wing. The defence was undoubtedly the best part of the Arbroath team and gave a splendid account of itself in the second period. Cumming, the former Aberdeen custodian, kept a good goal, although he was no means so busy as he might have been, while the backs, Fordyce and Becci, showed any amount of pluck and dash. Duff was a splendid defensive pivot and McNab and Urquhart were good spoilers although rarely seen in attack.

Arbroath's Weakness

The forward line was disjointed and will have to show considerably more cohesion and thrust if points are to come the way of the Gayfield club. Although given few chances to shine, Brand, the former Hall, Russell's player, was a dashing leader, and gave the impression that with the right kind of support would get goals. Cargill and Johnston, the inside forwards, did not impress, and Lowe and Flucker, on the wings, only occasionally took the eye.

Source: Press & Journal, 14th October 1935

Arbroath Teamsheet
Cumming, Fordyce, Becci, MacNab, Duff, Urquhart, Lowe, Cargill, Brand, Johnston, Flucker
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Gayfield Park, Arbroath
Referee: J. Thomson, Hamilton
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride