Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee 2 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Dundee scorers: Coats 1, Phillips 12
Aberdeen scorers: Thomson 87 (Pen), Mills 89.

01/01/1936 | KO:


Two Goals Down and Three Minutes to Go


Aberdeen were lucky to escape from Dens Park a with point yesterday. With three minutes to go the Dons were two goals down, and defeat seemed certain. Then came a penalty for "hands," which Thomson converted, and in the last minute Mills scored a splendid goal to save a valuable point.
It was a dramatic finish to a match which was fought out in rain, and on a heavy ground. Dundee got off to a flying start. They were a goal up in less than a minute, and two goals with twelve minutes gone.
This gave them a world of confidence, and with the half-back line holding the Aberdeen attack in a vice like grip, they held the advantage during this period.

Handicapped by Injury

Aberdeen were on top after the interval, but they could not translate their territorial advantage into goals.
Admittedly they were handicapped by an injury to Lang, who was practically a passenger after the first half-hour, but this does not altogether excuse the ineffective play of the forwards.
The Pittodrie forwards were too dainty. They looked good, but the expected goals failed to materialise. Had they adopted more open tactics and hit the ball first time they would have been on level terms long before the last minute.
Dundee did not make the mistake of over-elaboration; they took the direct route to goal and shot whenever opportunity presented itself.

From Free Kicks

Strangely enough, both the Dark Blues' goals came as the result of free kicks. Smith was not entirely blameless when the first was scored.
Kirby placed a free kick, awarded against Fraser, in the goalmouth, and Coats darted forward to head goalwards. Smith twice seemed to have the ball, but it bounced off the post against his body into the net.
He had no chance with the second. Kirby again placed the ball well, and it was headed to Phillips, who flashed it into the net.
Despite their pressure in the second half the Dons never impressed one as likely to win - or even draw. In the last fifteen minutes Dundee staged a revival, and the Aberdeen goal had several narrow escapes.
Then came the penalty three minutes from the end. Innes handled a Lang cross inside the area, and Thomson coolly placed the ball out of Marsh's reach.
With a minute to go Mills gained possession of the ball as it came across from the left, and his shot entered the net at the angle where the crossbar and upright meet.
The Dundee players and spectators could hardly realise that almost certain victory had been snatched from their grasp.

Defence Strong Men

McGill and Falloon were the strong men in the Aberdeen defence. The left back gave a sterling display, especially during the last quarter an hour, when he was the means of breaking up several dangerous Dundee raids.
Smith, in goal, did not appear at all confident, and Cooper experienced a good deal of trouble with Kirby.
Fraser and Thomson played hard, the former working like a trojan both in defence and attack.

Attack Disappointing

The attack was disappointing, Scott, although on the slow side, made a creditable debut in League football, and with better support he might have got goals. He was ever on top of the Dundee defence, and once he gains experience should develop into a first-rate centre.
Mills had a poor day. He played much below his best form, and was allowed little rope by Innes. He deserves credit, however, for the manner in which he took the all-important goal.
McKenzie, too, was below standard. He was prone to hold the ball, a fatal mistake against a quick-tackling defence.
Warnock started well, but the heavy ground and ball took its toll, and he was little in evidence in the later stages.

Dundee's Display

The Dundee defence put up a good display. Marsh had little to do, thanks to the soundness of Rennie, Richards and Evans.
Innes and Smith, the wing halves, were seen at their best in the first period. The right-half gave a splendid exhibition.
The attack was fast and dangerous, and had the wingers, Kirby and Robertson, shown a little more enterprise, more goals might have been scored. Coats was a nippy leader, and his inside supports, Guthrie and Phillips, were strong, forcing players.

Several hundreds of Aberdeen supporters made the journey to Dundee.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd January 1936

Dundee Teamsheet
Marsh; Rennie, Richards; Innes, Evans, Smith; Robertson, Guthrie, Coats, Phillips, Kirby
Attendance: 22,000
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Referee: J. W. Martin, Ladybank
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride