Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 3 Dunfermline Athletic

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 3 Dunfermline Athletic

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Scott 6, Smith 32, Mills 79.
Dunfermline Athletic scorers: Murray 3, Dobson 34, Morrison 43

02/01/1936 | KO:


Poor Display Given Against Dunfermline


Are Aberdeen losing their grip ? Their displays against Dundee New Year's Day and against Dunfermline at Pittodrie yesterday were certainly not up to championship standard.
Only a big effort on the part of the Dons will now enable them to realise their ambition. Yesterday's form will never do. Neither the defence nor the attack impressed.
On play Aberdeen should have beaten Dunfermline with something to spare. Except for occasional breakaways, the visitors were almost entirely on the defence. They had probably no more than a dozen raids on the home goal in the first half, yet they scored three times.

Not Blameless

The Aberdeen defence was by no means blameless in the matter of these goals, two of which might have been averted.
All Aberdeen's pressure, both in this half and in the second period, yielded but three goals, and the equaliser did not arrive until eleven minutes from the end. Admittedly luck was with the Dunfermline defence on numerous occasions, but this does not altogether excuse the home forwards' lack of finishing power. The chances were there, but they were not accepted.

Early Goal Lost

As at Dens Paik, the Dons lost an early goal. Play had been in progress only three minutes when Murray gave Dunfermline the lead.
Morrison broke clean through the defence, and his shot rebounded off Smith, who rushed desperately from his charge. The centre fastened on again and his second try rebounded from the underside of the crossbar to Murray, who smartly drove into the net.
Three minutes later the Dons drew level. Mills nodded a fast Ritchie Smith cross into the goalmouth, and in the resultant scrimmage Scott headed into the net as Crawford tried to clear.
The homesters took the lead for the first and last time after thirty-two minutes' play. It was a long-overdue goal. Scott beat a couple of men and slipped the ball out the left for Smith (R.) to crash it into the net.

Short-Lived Lead

Their advantage was short-lived, however, for within two minutes Dobson eluded Falloon practically on the by-line and fired the ball into the net from what appeared almost an impossible angle.
Two minutes from the interval Dunfermline regained the lead. McKenzie conceded a corner, and Morrison jumped to head Murray's flag-kick into the net.
It looked as if Dunfermline would escape with both points, despite the fact that their defence was almost run off its feet in the second half. Eleven minutes only were left for play when Mills repeated his Dens Park feat by notching the equalising goal. Cooper lobbed the ball out to the right. Warnock lifted it into the middle, and Mills headed home.

Effects of Previous Match

The Aberdeen team as a whole seemed to be suffering from the effect the previous day's strenuous tussle at Dundee. The defence did not cover up at all well. Until recent matches Smith, in the Aberdeen goal, was very safe, but he seems to have lost confidence a little.
McGill was a strong and reliable left-back, but Cooper was slow and never got a grip of Murray. Falloon had his hands full with Morrison, and Fraser and Thomson, although willing workers, were not so effective as usual.
The attack lacked "devil." They overdid the close stuff in the penalty area. Mills and McKenzie were the biggest sinners. Neither played form. Scott was a hard-working leader, but was given few chances.

Warnock Good

Warnock was the best of the quintette. He was smart on the ball, and more than one goal would have been scored from his crosses had his team-mates been more alert.
There was no Aberdeen attacker more willing to try a shot than Ritchie Smith, who deputised for Lang, but the left-winger failed to accept two scoring chances in each half.
Dunfermline are by no means a brilliant team, but they are full of fight, and the forwards proved they could take their chances.
The honours of the game go to Syme, who was drafted from left-half to goal deputise for the injured Steele. It was no new role for Syme, who has previously guarded the uprights. He gave a splendid display, and probably did more than any of his team-mates to foil the Aberdeen forwards.
Johnman and Warden were a pair do-or-die backs. They were often in trouble, but fought stubbornly throughout.
Crawford, too, worked hard in defence, and Donald, the former Aberdeen player, after a shaky start, settled down to a steady game.

Morrison Does Well

Morrison, who previously played for Nairn County, led the line with dash and skill, while Murray was a fast and dangerous left-winger. This pair were the best of wholehearted rather than brilliant attack.

Source: Press & Journal, 3rd January 1936

Dunfermline Athletic Teamsheet
Syme; Johnman, Warden; Blyth, Crawford, Donald; Dobson, Thomson, Morrison, Chalmers, Murray
Attendance: 16,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: T. Small, Dundee
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride