Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 1 Hamilton

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Hamilton

Scottish Cup First Round
Aberdeen scorers: Beynon, Mills 7, McKenzie 57, Beynon.
Hamilton scorers: Harrison

29/01/1936 | KO: 14:30


Decisive Revenge for Last Season's Defeat


Aberdeen avenged last season's semi-final defeat at the hands of Hamilton Academicals when they ousted the Lanarkshire combination in the first round of the Scottish Cup competition at Pittodrie yesterday.

The Dons had no sooner left the field of play than their cup of joy was filled to overflowing when word came through that they were favoured with a home draw in the second round.
They thoroughly merited their victory over Hamilton. They were the better-balanced team fore and aft, and the margin of their victory in no way flatters them. Admittedly the visitors were handicapped by an injury to Wilson, their centre-forward, who had to leave the field just prior to the interval with a leg Injury, and only resumed for a short spell in the second half, but even before the mishap the Dons were playing like a winning team.

Hamilton Inferior

At full strength for the first time since December 7, Aberdeen played excellent football in the first half, but, strangely enough, three of their four goals were scored in the second period.
Hamilton were but shadow of the team that reached the final of the competition last year, and at no time during the game did they look like winning. Whole-hearted and strong, they never gave in, but they lacked the cohesion and understanding which was always in evidence in the Aberdeen ranks.
If Hamilton were handicapped by the loss of Wilson, Aberdeen were almost at as big a disadvantage in that Thomson, Mills and McGill were all injured during the second period.
Although Mills was the actual scorer of the first goal, netted in the seventh minute, Armstrong did the leading-up work. This point laid the foundations for the Dons' success.
Playing with fine spirit and understanding, Aberdeen gave the Douglas Park defence a great deal of trouble, and were a trifle unfortunate not to increase their lead on more than one occasion before the Interval.

Heavy Ground a Handicap

The heavy ground took some of the "fire" out of both sets of players, and during the first fifteen minutes of the second period the pace became much slower. Gradually, however, the homesters started to make the ball do the work, and their efforts were crowned with success.
The Aberdeen defence was steady and sound. Smith in goal had one or two good saves, but there were some who thought he might have prevented the goal. He was beaten by a shot from Harrison from the edge the penalty area, but he seemed to slip in making for the ball
McGill and Cooper were resolute tacklers and strong kickers, and generally had the measure of the Hamilton attack. McGill was injured in the closing stages and finished at outside left.
Falloon experienced difficulty, first with Wilson and later with Park, but the Irishman was game and held his own. Fraser and Thomson kept a good grip of the Accies' inside men, and Fraser worked hard to keep his own attack moving.
Beynon was Aberdeen's most sprightly forward in the first half. His amazing turn of speed often had the Hamilton defence at a loss, and both his goals were splendidly taken. McKenzie, his partner, was one of the hardest workers afield, and netted one the goals, but his distribution was of a poor standard.

Armstrong Inspires Attack

Much of the success of the Aberdeen attack was due to the return of Armstrong, who led the line with intelligence and skill. The centre did not find the net, but his clever distribution was responsible for more than one of the goals.
Mills worked hard and showed some nice touches, especially during the first period, while Lang, who returned to the outside left berth after an absence several weeks, although perhaps not so prominent as usual, played his part in his side's victory.
The Hamilton defence fought pluckily, and the hero of the game was Morgan, the 'keeper. Although beaten four times, he gave a magnificent display, and but for his clever anticipation, Aberdeen's total might well have been doubled.
Wallace was the better of two never-say-die backs, while McStay's experience proved invaluable in defence. Cox was a clever and enterprising right half.
Best in attack were King and Park. The latter was the danger man, and both at outside right and centre-forward he gave the home defence a good deal of trouble.

Splendid Work

A splendid bit of work by Armstrong led to the first goal. The centre gained possession, sold the "dummy" to the right flank of the Hamilton defence and slipped, the ball up the middle for Mills to gather it, veer out to the right and smash into the net with his right foot.
Except for occasional breakaways, the visitors were kept mostly on the defensive, and their goal ran a number of very narrow escapes. Perhaps the nearest thing was a try Beynon. He beat the backs in a race for a long upfield punt by Thomson, but in attempting to lift the ball over Morgan's head he sent past.
Twelve minutes of the second half had gone when Aberdeen went further ahead. McKenzie breasted the ball down and flashed it into the net following a well-placed free kick by Thomson. The third counter was not long delayed. Lang 'broke away from an Armstrong slip, and Morgan could only push out the winger's try for Beynon to find the net with a fierce drive which struck the underside of the crossbar.
It was following this goal that Wilson retired, and it came as a surprise when the visitors reduced the leeway through Harrison. Two minutes later, however, Beynon restored Aberdeen's three-goal lead when he netted from a McKenzie pass after and the inside right had changed places.

The attendance was 14,718, and the receipts £501 12s 1d.

Source: Press & Journal, 30th January 1936

Hamilton Teamsheet
Morgan; Wallace, Bulloch; Cox, McStay, Murray (Joe); Park, McLaren, Wilson, Harrison, King
Attendance: 14,718
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Martin, Ladybank
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride