Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 2 Third Lanark

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Third Lanark

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Beynon 20, Mills 90.
Third Lanark scorers: Mason 54, Kinnaird 60

12/09/1936 | KO: 15:00



Dons Never Nearer Defeat


Never will Aberdeen come nearer defeat than they did at the hands of Third Lanark at Pittodrie on Saturday. Mills and McGill between them saved the Dons with only a few seconds left for play.

McGill crossed to the right touch-line in his own half of the field to take a free kick. He placed the ball splendidly and it glanced off Mills' head into the net to enable Aberdeen to snatch victory from the Warriors' grasp.
Just how near the League leaders came to defeat may be judged from the fact that there was no time to restart the game.

Thirds' Impressive Form

Third Lanark are becoming one of the most feared combinations in the League. In consecutive matches they have beaten Hearts and drawn with Rangers and Aberdeen. They are a lively, go-ahead company, strong in defence and at half-back, but a trifle lacking in finesse in attack.
Aberdeen were lucky to escape in such dramatic fashion, yet had they accepted their chances they might have won with something to spare. Last season the finishing of the Dons' attack gave some cause for anxiety, and on Saturday the old weakness was again in evidence.
The match was played in heavy rain and wind, and the greasy surface and slippery ball did not seem to suit Aberdeen. Neither in defence nor attack did they shape like a championship team, and there will have to all-round improvement if they are retain the League leadership.

Dons Open Scoring

Although facing wind and rain, Third Lanark were the more lively company in the opening twenty minutes, but it was Aberdeen who scored the first goal. Armstrong and Beynon smartly changed positions, Carabine failed to clear the centre's pass, and Beynon fastened on to send the ball into the net through the advancing 'keeper's legs.
This seemed to give the Dons confidence, and if they had concentrated more on shooting instead of trying to walk the ball into the net they would have increased their lead before the interval.
One always had the feeling that a single goal was not sufficient to beat the buoyant Warriors. This proved to be the for with nine minutes of the second half gone they drew level. Steve Smith was unsighted when Hay sent in a shot, and the ball rebounded off the 'keeper to Mason, who flashed it into the net.
This roused the Dons, but they could not break down the Third Lanark defence, and their hopes were practically shattered when the visitors took the lead after an hour's play. Cooper failed to clear and Kinnaird gathered the ball, eluded Falloon and crashed it into the net.

Below Usual Standard

Aberdeen launched attack after attack in an effort to save their home record, but their efforts looked as if they would be in vain until that dramatic last-second goal.
The home defence was never comfortable in face of a Third Lanark attack which kept the ball swinging. Smith was not to blame for either of the goals, although his handling of the greasy ball was not particularly impressive. Cooper was slow and his clearances were erratic, while Falloon, in the role of third back, was not so successful as usual. McGill, although he was kept busy by Hay, was the steadiest defender.
Thomson was below his usual form, his passes often going astray, and Dunlop was the best, of a mediocre Aberdeen half-line.
Beynon was the best Aberdeen forward. He was a speedy and dangerous raider, and got over some excellent crosses. McKenzie was clever on the ball and did much work, but most it was wasted by his failing to part at the right moment.
Although he did several smart things in the first half, Armstrong was slower than usual to grasp his chances, and was well held by Denmark after the interval. Seldom has Mills been seen to less advantage, and Ritchie Smith, who deputised for Strauss, was given little scope by Carabine.
It might be mentioned that Mills was suffering from a slight attack of 'flu.

Direct Attack

Third Lanark had a strong and plucky defence. Carabine was a resolute right back and Denmark a powerful centre-half. This pair were outstanding.
Blair and Mclnnes, the wing halves, worked hard in defence, and whenever possible urged on the attack.
The forward line lacked the craft of the Aberdeen quintette, but their more direct methods proved equally effective. Hay was a smart right winger, and he had a promising partner in Mason. Yardley and Kennedy were a hard-working pair of inside forwards, but Kinnaird, the former Highland League player, did little of note, although he took his goal well.

Source: Press & Journal, 14th September 1936

Third Lanark Teamsheet
Muir; Carabine, Harvey; Blair, Denmark, Mclnnes; Hay, Mason, Yardley, Kennedy, Kinnaird
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: M. C. Hutton, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride