Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 6 - 3 Raith Rovers

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Raith Rovers

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Strauss, Brady 32 (Pen), Hamilton 45, Biggs 61, Brady, Strauss 87.
Raith Rovers scorers: Whitelaw 10, O'Keefe, Dunn

03/12/1938 | KO: 14:15


An injury to Smith, the Raith Rovers left back, spoiled the game at Pittodrie on Saturday. About fifteen minutes after the start the player received a compound fracture of the right ankle and was taken to the Aberdeen Royal infirmary.
The fact that they were playing against ten men rather detracts from the value of Aberdeen's 6-3 victory. When they lost the services of Smith the Rovers were playing well and were leading 1-0. Handicapped as they were the visitors are to be congratulated for their never-say-die spirit.


It is impossible to say just how the game would have finished had both teams been at full strength, On the day's display the Dons were only a moderate side, yet they won by a three goal margin.
The defence was too easily opened up, and the attack, in spite of the fact that they found the net six times, did not inspire confidence.
Perhaps the most disappointing feature, however, was the falling off in the form of the half-backs. The previous week - against Queen of the South at Dumfries, Scott, Grant, and Waddell constituted the strong department of the team.
Against Raith Rovers only Scott retained his form. The right-half was clever on the ball, and it was rarely that he parted with it to disadvantage.
Grant had not a. happy time against Dunn. Too often in the first half the Rovers' leader escaped the attentions of the centre-half.
Aberdeen have a promising player in Waddell, but he is not yet experienced enough for First League football. He was out of his depth on Saturday.


Thomson and Adey at full back, kept the extreme wingers fairly quiet. The right back settled down after a shaky start and Adey's first-time methods prevented Glen becoming dangerous.
Johnstone, in goal, was not so confident as usual, and might have prevented the first counter.
The forwards were inclined to their old fault of over-elaboration. Biggs was the best of the five. He was a hard-working leader and attempted to keep play open by sweeping the ball out to the wings. He was a trifle unlucky not to get more than one goal.
Hamilton was the better of two inside forwards who provided a somewhat "mixed grill." One minute they were brilliant and the next merely mediocre. The wingers, too, were inconsistent. Strauss was seen at his best in the closing stages when he scored twice, while Warnock crossed some dangerous balls at the start and towards the finish. In between he threatened little danger.
Raith Rovers' strongest defender was Allan. The right-back gave a sterling display. Both Cabrelli and Sharp were tried in the left-back berth, but neither could be described as a success.
The half-back honours go to Till. The young right-half gave a smart display. Whitelaw and Dunn were the most dangerous forwards. The inside-right was a strong, forcing player.
O'Keefe, Raith's recruit from Hibs, signalised his first appearance in the Kirkcaldy team by scoring a grand goal. He may solve their left-wing problem.


Raith opened the scoring in ten minutes. A well-placed corner by O'Keefe saw Dunn head against the crossbar and Whitelaw's header from the rebound escaped Johnstone's hands and finished in the net.
Aberdeen did not draw level until after thirty-two minutes play. A nice slip by Hamilton gave Strauss a clear run on the left and the winger crossed a fast, low ball. Brady dived forward to head a spectacular goal. Just on the interval Hamilton shot against Ferguson from a pass from Brady and fastened on to the rebound to send into the net.
Sixteen minutes after the restart Biggs beat Ferguson in the jump for a corner from Strauss and headed a third goal. Two minutes later Biggs was brought down inside the penalty area by Low and Brady converted the spot kick.
A rally by Raith Rovers ended in a goal. Dunn was held up in an attempt to break through down the middle and slipped the ball to O'Keefe. The winger steadied himself and beat Johnstone with a splendid shot.
Three goals were crowded into the last ten minutes. Strauss got the first when he headed home a cross from Warnock. Till broke through for the visitors, and when his shot rebounded off the crossbar Dunn was waiting to send into the net. In the closing minutes Strauss netted from a cross from Warnock.

Source: Press & Journal, 5th December 1938

Raith Rovers Teamsheet
Ferguson; Allan, Smith; Till, Low, Gabriel; Glen, Whitelaw, Dunn, Sharp, O'Keefe
Attendance: 9,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. M. Martin, Ladybank
Next Match
St. Johnstone
28 Feb 2024 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen