Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Dundee United

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Dundee United

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Murray 24, Willoughby 67, Harper 89 (Pen).

18/12/1971 | KO: 15:00

Aberdeen pleased the vast majority ot the 14,000 crowd by gaining their expected victory over Dundee United. Walter Smith, now manager of Rangers, tried to mark Joe Harper out of the game, but was not really successful. Hamish McAlpine had his customary good performance against the Dons.

Walter Smith was obviously marking Joe Harper but he was nowhere near as his terrific left-foot shot was turned over the bar by McAlpine. This was the first of several corners forced by the Dons. From a Bertie Miller flag-kick a Harper header hit the post before being scrambled away. Miller and Jim Hermiston then had shots saved. Martin Buchan, the Dons' skipper and Tommy McMillan both repulsed United attack's before Davie Robb missed two good chances to put Aberdeen ahead. The big inside-forward was certainly working hard and he created a shooting opportunity for Jim Forrest but McAlpine again came to United's rescue. The Dons' broke the deadlock in 24 minutes when George Murray's cross was headed home by his namesake, Steve, who had been working energetically in midfield. Traynor then broke away but Buchan stopped him at the expense of a free-kick, which Walter Smith wasted. Aberdeen were much the better team but could not translate their superiority into more goals. Miller and Forrest wasted further chances and George Murray skied an easy opportunity over the bar. On half-time Robb's header was cleared off the line by Cameron.

McAlpine was in action right away, dashing from his goal to flop on the ball. Next, a McMillan clearance found Miller in the clear, he parted to Forrest whose cross found Harper and Doug Smith cleared his header. Forrest and Robb missed reasonable chances, Robb's shooting being particularly awry, one of his shots finishing nearer the corner-flag than the goal. Typical of Davie he then had an excellent shot well saved by McAlpine. A goal nearly came - but at the other end. Bobby Clark made a great save from Sandy White. It was only his third save in the match but he clutched the header in great style. Alex Willoughby slid a free kick to Harper, whose low shot was blocked. The fans were becoming impatient at the Dons' failure to increase their lead. Doug Smith and his defensive mates were much more cool and organised now but they could do nothing to stop Aberdeen's second goal in 67 minutes. Miller evaded a Joe White tackle and cut the ball back to Willoughby, who beat McAlpine with a low shot from 14 yards. Arthur Graham immediately replaced Forrest and he soon forced a corner. Reid took Markland's place in the Tannadice team. The tension disappeared from the game as the Dons seemed content to hold on to their two goal advantage, with United accepting re inevitability of the result. In the last minute Harper had the last laugh as he made it 3-0 from the penalty spot after Miller had been upended.

Source: Match Programme, 21st March 1992

Dundee United Teamsheet
McAlpine, J. White, Cameron, Markland (Reid 70), D. Smith, Henry, Traynor, W. Smith, Copland, Rolland, A. White
Attendance: 13,707
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: A. J. Crawley, Glasgow
Next Match
20 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Hampden Park, Glasgow